My DIY solution to the UEV 440

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Just got back from a elk hunting trip in Colorado, thought I would post a few pics of the trailer.

51f0028ea5372134b8a4df1d8870be21.jpg

2a152e8c3def57a891c6d5ed779d49c0.jpg

e9a342f273e0db093db9597bff4f2e88.jpg

ae6498cce0408aea1ea60ab0d64ec356.jpg

c948430367d56c510d136b477967be8e.jpg

6dfff5c30f009d9fb36b7464d6ff71bf.jpg

7e12a3ea423c641c61874864f37a3170.jpg

71f51d98c12d0f30657638b0a6615b36.jpg

Sent from my spy phone
Www.tonysjeep.com

Rutdigger

Watch This!
The trip went well and the trailer did great; however, being out in the field for a week did prove to show me some things that I need to change to make things a little easier for everyday use. Here is a list of things I am planning on updating.

1-The rear door-Although the door is cool as it is, it does make going in and out a pain in the butt when leaving for the day to go do other things. So I plan to remove it and make a normal door that opens like a door in your home would.
2-Move the batteries to the outside of the trailer. I plan to build battery boxes on the outside rear of the trailer and move the batteries there. I am having an issue with hydrogen gas setting off my CO2 alarms and I also have the furnace inside. So, they need to be moved outside.
3-I'm going to cut of the outrigger handles and weld on adapters for a drill or a speed swivel.
4-Add quick disconnects for the Propane
5-Remove the storage box on the front and build a Generator and fuel can storage compartment. It was a major pain in the butt to put the generator in the jeep when we left camp for the day and I didn't trust chaining it to the tree.
6-Add a temp gauge with two probes to be able to see the inside and outside temp
7-Add some small flannel blankets for condensation mitigation
8-Add a small fold down shelf beside the outside outlet for momma's electric water pot...lol.

I am sure I am leaving off some more stuff, but this is the main jist of it..lol.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Nice! Where's the elk?

No ELK this year, but we had a blast huntin them. Got on the ELK the last few days but couldn't close the deal. Will be back next year though! I call it a a success anyway because we saw alot of different game to include a very nice moose and big mullys and it was a good test for the trailer! Plus, momma had a blast also and it was her first hunt, so I call that a success. Overall we put over 45 miles on our boots and saw alot of gorgeous country. To me, that is why I chase ELK.

ripperj

Explorer
Looks like a really awesome time, we Easterners are envious of the open space.
Mud Flaps!

Sent from my Passport

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Mud Flaps! Sent from my Passport

I know, right! I just can't bring myself to put flaps on the jeep..lol! We will be joining ya on the east coast next summer for a cpl years. After that it's back to Colorado for us! I'm gonna try and go thru and make a photo page tonight on my website with the pics we took while out there. If the MODS don't mind I will post a link to the photo page when I get it completed.

Last edited:

tlbeach

Observer
No ELK this year, but we had a blast huntin them. Got on the ELK the last few days but couldn't close the deal. Will be back next year though! I call it a a success anyway because we saw alot of different game to include a very nice moose and big mullys and it was a good test for the trailer! Plus, momma had a blast also and it was her first hunt, so I call that a success. Overall we put over 45 miles on our boots and saw alot of gorgeous country. To me, that is why I chase ELK.

As a bow hunter, we're there more for the experience than a kill everytime. I'll have enough pref points to pull a Flat Tops Wilderness tag again next year.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
As a bow hunter, we're there more for the experience than a kill everytime. I'll have enough pref points to pull a Flat Tops Wilderness tag again next year.

Yep, could not agree more. I have been bow hunting for years now and love it. That is exactly what I told my wife this trip when she asked if I was disappointed we didn't get an ELK. I said nope, not at all. We got to experience things that people only get to see in magazines and see animals that most kids only see in zoo's or petting parks. It's all about getting out there and seeing just how close you can get without the animal even knowing you are there, tracking it, readings the signs it leaves. To me, that is the exciting part. Killing is easy. Being a hunter is that hard part.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
So I was talking with my wife the other day and I mentioned that I wanted to build another trailer...a version 2, if you will. As you might imagine, I got the that, "you wanna do what, look?"..lol. She eventually agreed to it on "one" condition.....Yep, I have to sell this one to fund the other build! So, I grudgingly accepted the offer that was forced upon me but I need to finish up a few things like the rear door and redoing the kitchen slide layout. Once that is complete it will go up for sale. I am not trying to get rich on it so I will prolly put it up for sale around 15K. That would be about a 1k more than I currently have in it. Its tagged, titled, and serial numbered now also. After a full summer of use, I could not be more happy with its performance, especially on the trails. Version 2 will be even better!

ratled

Adventurer
Thank you for sharing the build adventure of version #1, especially the details and great pics to document it for us.

Care to share any thoughts/ideas for the upcoming new version?
What will you carry over to the new version?
What will you do different?
Any reason you (read this to be "I") couldn't have used just self tappers instead of pop rivets for non stressed areas?
If it isn't a PITA, could I get the rough dimensions?

Thanks again for allowing us to live vicariously through you on the build

ratled

size.jpg

Last edited:

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Thank you for sharing the build adventure of version #1, especially the details and great pics to document it for us.

Care to share any thoughts/ideas for the upcoming new version?
What will you carry over to the new version?
What will you do different?
Any reason you (read this to be "I") couldn't have used just self tappers instead of pop rivets for non stressed areas?
If it isn't a PITA, could I get the rough dimensions?

Thanks again for allowing us to live vicariously through you on the build

ratled

View attachment 374175

Thanks man. This trailer has definitely been a fun build. Give me a cpl days to get those dimensions for ya, being back on night shift sucks..lol.

Once I get this one sold I think I am gonna do a conversion from a regular enclosed cargo trailer and turn it into a DIY VMI trailer. I really like those trailers! The next trailer will only have one fold out tent so there will be less canvas work to do. The actuators I plan to build to lift the ceiling will be like the little model my son and I made of a telescoping pole. I should be able to use a small atv winch to raise it 24" ish.

For the suspension this time I think I am just gonna run a straight axle on springs, track bar, and control arms, much like my Jeep. I love the trailing arms but they are a PITA to keep them from warping during welding.

Batteries will be on the outside of the trailer this time or in a compartment that is separate from the sleeping/living area to facilitate charging and off gases.

As for heat I don't think I will use that type of heater in the next build. I am leaning toward a small propane wall mounted vented heater. The forced air system is great, don't get me wrong, but for this type of application it is just over kill, uses to much fuel, takes up to much space, is a magnet for dirt dobbers, and battery power for the amount of space you need to heat.

The rivets were more of an appearance choice for me. I actually used the self tappers to secure the panels and help to drill holes for the rivets. In the end I didn't like the look of the self tappers so I used rivets....over 1000 RIVETS!

I have a different plan for the outside shower also, this one will be COOL! The hot water heater works well so I plan to stick with that to heat the water. It gets a little finicky at altitude over 13,000 feet, but we all get a little loopy up there..lol.

I will definitely be using Monster liner again. I can't say enough good things about this stuff and no other product I have EVER used comes even close to it in terms of non-fading, durability, and waterproofing.

I am looking forward to getting started on the new build...just gotta get this one sold first...lol.

ratled

Adventurer
Thanks for the fast reply..... yep nights SUCK..... Sounds like we are in the same planing stage for a Jeep trailer. I was thinking of start with a Runway camper (search Runaway Camper out FL as I can't post links) until I found hamthis's video... then his build thread .... then your build thread and then....... man, all of this planning can make one's head spin.

The original plan was something like this with a Runaway camper, bolt a Lock n Roll hitch and rip off the axle and replace it with a set of Timbren axleless. Not mine but you will get the thought. Those are 37" tires stuffed in there!
trailer.jpg

Have you considered the Timbren axle- less? They bolt on so you won't have to worry about warping. They come in a variety of weights. Right now the 2K each side is on the parts list for me. Youtube "Review of the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - etrailer.com" since I can't post links. I think this might be a contender for you as well.

Consider an AGM sealed battery, it will allow you to install it inside since it is totally sealed and doesn't off gas. Also, as it is totally sealed, it can be "jeeped" any since even flipping it over won't even cause it to leak. I'm testing a VMAX 125ah now to see how it works for my intentions. I have it paired with a 150w solar panel to supply it and need all of this to run my Edgestar 63 L freezer/fridge. So far it has worked well. AGM's are little pricey I know, and heavy, but all in all it solves a lot of problems easily for me.

I was going to suggest my Mr. Heater Buddy until I read your water heater comment. They don't like that altitude due the O2 shut off sensor, they get twitchy about 7,000'. Really all flames don't like the thin air above 10,000. Good luck solving that one. I wonder if there is somewhat frugal electrical units out there you can use for both/either water and heat?

Thanks again for all of your time an info.

ratled

Last edited:

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Thanks for the fast reply..... yep nights SUCK.....
The original plan was something like this with a Runaway camper
Have you considered the Timbren axle- less?
Consider an AGM sealed battery
I was going to suggest my Mr. Heater Buddy until I read your water heater comment. Good luck solving that one. I wonder if there is somewhat frugal electrical units out there you can use for both/either water and heat?
Thanks again for all of your time an info. ratled

All good questions! I haven't forgot about ya, I will try and get out this weekend and get those measurements. I have considered the Timbrens but I read a post from someone (sorry, can't recall the name) that put them on his rig and didn't like the ride and that is exactly why I didn't try them out before then. I too was concerned that they would not ride good. I hear ya on the AGM's but the good ole walmart deep cells were just easier to find and buy..lol. AGM's would solve the issue though. The altitude stuff will take some doing to figure out. Prolly just end up going to the gas guys in the altitude states and let them figure it out..In the end I the next trailer I make is going to look alot like the VMI hard side trailer. I love those trailers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz