Easiest car to car communication?

TerryD

Adventurer
I vote for the FRS/GMRS radios too. I have the Baofeng and they work good but those little radios you buy are already set up and ready to use. Just put in batteries, pick a channel and you're off and running without having to learn software or the headache of programming one from the keypad. Also if something happens to one en-route, you can simply buy another from just about anywhere that will already communicate with the ones you have. No need to be stuck without com's.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I vote CB. You can get a handheld like the Midland 75-822 and use it as a handheld with batteries or rechargeable pack or with the 12V in the vehicle and use the duck antenna or a vehcile mounted antenna. I think one thing to ask yourself is how long do you want the set-up for and what will you do with it in the future?

I'm going for my HAM license here pretty soon, and while I like 2m a lot, the CB is easier to plug and play since there is no license requirement IMO. Also, common fur ise in off road clubs and I like the weather channels.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
If you are driving in convoy / in sight of each other, a $30 bubble pack of 2 FRS will do the job readily.
Agreed, for the OPs stated purpose, I would go FRS.

For longer term purposes, 2M is the way to go. On our groups last trip I was chatting with another member 15 miles away, clear and clean. And this was in the midwest, no elevation to aid range.

summerprophet

Adventurer
The thing is, a couple baufeng units will allow you to chat away on murs or gmrs***. And you still have the options of programming in weather channels, emergency channels, frs and fm radio (all for listening only of course). And if you want to pursue ham, you already have a radio capable of it.

The sound quality and range of the baufeng units blow cb and frs units out of the water.

*** gmrs through the baufeng is not technically legal, however, adjusting output to low power, brings it awfully close.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Here is my breakdown of the various options:

Easiest option by far = FRS.
A pair of GOOD FRS radios should reliably reach 1-2 miles under most conditions (I'm talking about ones that boast about "35-miles" or greater range... It's quite doubtful you'll actually get 35 miles talking car-to-car, but the numbers are still relative when comparing units). Stick a few AA cells into each unit (or charge them up if thats the type you have) and you're now on the air and talking to each other (though you probably ought to pick a channel other than the default of 01 (and set a privacy code) if you want to minimize the number of others you come across on the channel).

2nd-easiest = CB.
Contrary to the jokes many here continue to make about CBs, their range is far better & above anything FRS can offer (or any other handheld radio used portable inside of a vehicle, ham or otherwise). Range is reliable to about 5 miles, and frequently can hit 10 miles or more with a normal 4-watt output radio.
CB does require you have a decent antenna, and is where most people that diss on it made their mistakes... You should avoid at all costs any CB antenna that is less than 5 feet overall length, and mount the antenna up high where it is in the clear (top of roof is best, but a bed-side-rail or fender/quarter mount can work fairly well too if the majority of the antenna is still above the vehicle).
The radio unit itself is less important, however avoid the Cobra 75 radios (has an exceptionally poor microphone built into it/poor sound quality over the air), a Uniden PRO-510XL/520XL sounds 5000% better, both on transmit and receive. Those that absolutely must have a handheld all-in-one type CB unit in their vehicle will be far better served by the Midland 75-822 than a Cobra 75.

3rd-easiest option = MURS.
I put MURS 3rd because of somewhat-limited MURS radio availability/having to (correctly) program radios for the channels (you may want to also enable the CTCSS (a.k.a. privacy) tones... in some areas on occasion I have encountered bleed-over or brief pulse-type noise interference on various MURS channels). Most 2M ham radios are also useable on MURS with a modification made to the radio. Some legal technicalities exist with using a modded ham unit, however if everything is properly configured (freqs and modulation type set correct, power level set to within reason), i don't think anyone would be the wiser (radio software such as Chirp has the MURS channels already preloaded (in addition to FRS & GMRS), which can be downloaded to most radios. This should help simplify programming of a radio for MURS).
Range typically is 4-7 miles using the legal 2 watt power level w/external vehicle-mounted antennas. 2M ham antennas cut a few % shorter work great on MURS.

4th = GMRS.
GMRS requires a license, but there is no test. It costs $90 last I checked, and is good for 5 years. Use of repeaters is allowed on GMRS, which are not legal for use on the first three options (and would not be of practical use on CB anyway).
Range (simplex) is about 1-5 miles handheld-handheld, or about 3-10 miles w/hard-mounted units (it varies widely with terrain due to the line-of-sight nature of the UHF band GMRS uses).

Finally = Ham
If you're technically-inclined, you may find ham easier than GMRS, simply because the cost for the license is much lower (usually just a small fee for the examiner's time), and fiddling with a radio often comes naturally. The technical aspect of ham can be difficult for some to grasp though, so you'd have to judge for yourself whether you're up for tackling it (remember whomever you talk to has to be licensed also, unlike on GMRS where family members/those living in the same household of the licensee are covered under the same license). Ham is also the most formal of all... don't forget you have to ID with your call sign every 10 minutes so everyone knows exactly who you are, and (among other things) no cussing! lol

Anyway, hope that helps.
I'd lean toward a pair of good decent FRS units given the OP's requirements (Motorola's --350R series radios or something similar). Only if you think you'll need to engage in conversations with others on a regular basis would I consider other options (#2 being the most universal, though I always try to promote the use of #3 also).

*** gmrs through the baufeng is not technically legal, however, adjusting output to low power, brings it awfully close.
Well, since you brought it up, neither is it on MURS or FRS. Additionally MURS (1-3) and FRS require the modulation be set to "narrow" mode as well. How many people have actually been popped for using a Baofeng on these services though, I'm not sure... It would seem to me it's a fairly low number (probably consisting mostly of egregious violators who cause problems, often deliberately, to other users/users of other radio services).

Last edited:

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Once I had two hand held CBs and tried to use them on a trip. The vehicles seemed to act like a Faraday cage and it was almost impossible to receive. I don't know if the FRS radios work any better, but I'd try them out before I actually needed them.

Chad

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
Handheld CBs do suck, especially if they are used from inside a vehicle, rather than with an exterior antenna.
This is partly because the very long 36-foot (11-m) wavelength of a 27MHz CB signal indeed cannot effectively exit through window openings that are a tiny fraction of said wavelength. Another reason they suck is the short rubber-duck CB antenna on a handheld unit is probably more useful as a resistor or dummy-load than an antenna, so that only further exacerbates the issue.

FRS being on ~462MHz (wavelength of roughly two feet, or 60cm) doesn't suffer from this issue hardly at all, the much shorter wavelength signal is able to pass through window openings much more easily (not to mention the unit's antenna works a lot more effectively too).

TerryD

Adventurer
We've had mixed results with handheld CBs. Most of the time, over short distances (100-300 yards) they've done ok. However we've had a few that wouldn't transmit clearly from inside a vehicle to a mounted CB bumper to bumper.

My Baofeng UV-5RA has given me good results with well over ten miles opening a repeater from inside my little Blazer in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains on the 2m band.

I'm wanting to get the GMRS license for my family to aid communication when we're out and about because of spotty cell service in the national forest.

The sheer range of the little Baofeng radios make them super useful for general use but as a licensed Amateur, I would appeal to you to get your licenses. None are cost prohibitive or overly difficult to get the basic, entry level ones. Read the book, take the practice tests, sit for the test and then you have the assistance of the entire HAM community as well if you should need it.

All this being said, there are services that don't require licences so that they can easily be utilized by the general population for basic communication needs. FRS, MURS, and CB are all available to you without a license being required.

If you are interested in HAM, buy yourself a Baofeng and then a pair of the GMRS radios to use together. Get the GMRS license for the family and then you can get your HAM and have use of both bands legally.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Fwiw,

If someone has a stash of Motorola i/DEN cellphones what used to be subscribed to Nextel "Direct Connect" service.
Many of these i/DEN phones can be set to "Direct Talk" mode and work as simple 2way radios without being subscribed to a Cellular Company.

Its somewhere in 900Mhz as digital transmission. & think its .7watt. Average range about a mile, But done better under good condition.
I think select of 10 channels...
Easy support too, batteries, chargers, et.al.

I was going to suggest this as well. They are cheap to pick up on eBay.

Chad

uli2000

Adventurer
One thing to keep in mind with MURS: They use some of the old "color dot" business band frequencies. In some areas, there are still legacy licences that have priority on those frequencies, mainly big box stores like Walmart and Target. If you CTCSS/DCS code the recieve, you may not realize you may be interfering with users with priority. And, of course, the standard disclaimer that the Baofengs HTs' are not type accepted for MURS. Not that anyone will know/care what type of radio you are using, but be aware just in case.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
super easy to put a small mag mount antenna on those little baofeng radios
I have a setup with a hand mic, mag antenna and cig charger I loan on the trail....maybe $50 into the entire setup

super easy to put a small mag mount antenna on those little baofeng radios
I have a setup with a hand mic, mag antenna and cig charger I loan on the trail....maybe $50 into the entire setup

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Anything I should look for in buying a magnetic mount baofeng antenna?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94