Tight budget Disco 2 build

Redman333

Adventurer
My headliner has been sagging a bit since I got it, but when I pulled it down to do the roof rails it made it really bad so I decided to pull it down the rest of the way and see if I can fix it. I also got some water intrusion after the roof rail install so I've got to figure that out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mowerman

Adventurer
Depends on how fussy you want to be with it but the easiest thing is to strip the fabric, then take off the foam with a wire brush then just paint it with household emulsion.

Redman333

Adventurer
Depends on how fussy you want to be with it but the easiest thing is to strip the fabric, then take off the foam with a wire brush then just paint it with household emulsion.

That's sort of the route I'm thinking about going. Except I was planning on using the camo tan plastidip coating on it. I need to do a test with it though to see if it matches the roof interior panels color. A guy at work also said his roommate does upholstery and could do the headliner for me in the original factory style so I'll see what he tells me too. Until then I need to wet the roof to find where my leak is coming from. I figured I'd also make sure the sunroof drains are clear and greas the sunroof tracks.

Redman333

Adventurer
Figured out where the water was leaking from. The upper glass seal had popped loose in the front corner so really no need to pull the headliner down at least for the leak that is. Still have to fix the headliner though. I'm pretty confident there are no more leaks after several buckets of water on the roof. Will take it through the car wash tomorrow.

Redman333

Adventurer
This is what I'm working on now. I wanted to use this radio so that if I decided not to use the radio for a period of time I can make it completely invisible. I will run by the junk yard and grab an extra ash tray and keep it stored in the vehicle somewhere. That way I can unscrew the speaker, put it in the glovebox, take off the antenna from its quick release and swap the ash trays and nobody would even have a clue I have a CB. Not that I care if they know but I generally like a clean look. This works for me.

Redman333

Adventurer
I still have to get an swr meter to tune mine. I got the power ran to the mounting place for the remote box and the holder for the mic. Measured how much antenna wire I need. Right around 25ft. A friend from work said he probably has an L bracket that he'd give me for the antenna. So I'll finish hooking everything up on the CB tomorrow. Then I'll just have to get a swr meter and go to an open field to tune it.

Exploder
Run the cable through the wire loom that goes to the tail door. It's tight, but it can be done. Then run the cable through the same hole the washer fluid hose uses behind the spare carrier. Mount the antenna to the spare tire carrier.

That is the most elegant way to do it. For the love of God don't drill holes in the body work.

Redman333

Adventurer
Run the cable through the wire loom that goes to the tail door. It's tight, but it can be done. Then run the cable through the same hole the washer fluid hose uses behind the spare carrier. Mount the antenna to the spare tire carrier.

That is the most elegant way to do it. For the love of God don't drill holes in the body work.

That's exactly the way I was planning on doing it. I am planning pretty much everything on the vehicle to be able to be removed and put back to stock if need be.

Redman333

Adventurer
Got it all hooked up and receiving. Used 18ft of coax and it just barely made it all the way back. I ran power from my blue sea fuse panel to the connector box that I mounted behind the glovebox. Then dropped the had held connector below the glovebox to be able to hook up the mic. Since I had the headliner down it made it easy to run the coax up the a pillar and all the a pillar and all the way to the back of the cargo area on the passenger side. Then dropped it down and ran it through the rubber boot for the cargo door. Used some Vaseline for that job. Then ran it out the rear washer hole and sealed everything back up. Mounted the L bracket to the inside of the spare tire carrier. Mounted a 4ft tune able firestik on a quick release. Hopefully will tune it tomorrow.

Sorry for the bad pic but finished after dark. I'll post a better pic of the mount tomorrow when I have more daylight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94