Least aggressive off road tires used? Michelin LT M/S2 experience ?

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Check out Cooper AT3 tires, 55k warranty, low noise (which generally translates to low rolling resistance) and at a low price. Save on tires, more money for gas.

Big Coop

NorthStar96

Take a look at the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. I run 275/75/16's on my FZJ80, and I love em. great in the rain, quiet, and very good on the trails.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Check out Cooper AT3 tires, 55k warranty, low noise (which generally translates to low rolling resistance) and at a low price. Save on tires, more money for gas.

Big Coop

I can appreciate that idea but this is a specific comparison between using the BFG vs the Michelin. I saw that Cooper recently, looks like a good choice though.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Sorry. Didn't totally get that you already owned from your post.

Dry, rocky, gravel I think they work great. The rubber is soft but durable and the overall construction is smooth riding which usually indicates the ability to conform more than other tires at comparable pressures.

On thing I have noticed is that they do tend to pick up gravel in the treads. Perhaps another result of the more pliable Green rubber.
Matt

Yes, a tread more able to deform, will "wrap" over shapes which equals traction for low range gearing especially and being pliable should help it just move rather than resist and be cut. Obviously lowering air pressure when "off road" could be more important simply for tire health than on the BFG. It sure makes the ride nicer anyway.

I suppose one thing to be careful with is too little PSI because the Michelin is not designed to have it's sidewall used as a traction area whereas the BFG AT and KM2 are fine with that.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Take a look at the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. I run 275/75/16's on my FZJ80, and I love em. great in the rain, quiet, and very good on the trails.

Yeah, that tread design looks good but as I said above, this is between two tires really seeing as I have them both. Clearly, having choices can sometimes not be a better way to live. For 300,000 miles I just ran the BFG AT KO and never once posted a worry or studied tire websites during that time.... it was also really nice when gas was under $2/g :smiley_drive:

Studawg

The first time I wheeled my FJ62, I had the Michelin LTX AT2, size 31x10.50/15 on it, at Windrock, TN after and during a LOT of rain. It was a totally stock 62 and my friends were amazed at what I was able to get through. Lots of sharp rocks, roots and ruts. I aired them down a little bit, I forget how much. Hit one rock so hard it dented the OEM 40 steelie, the tire never lost air.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 46

mongoose2231

Observer
I have the same tires on my 60. They are great for what I do. They came with the truck when I bought it. I think when it's time to replace them, I might go the same route. Great tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles