Wild mushrooms

mezmochill

Is outside
Big one I saw earlier this summer. Oh and that's an oak growing up through it.

Some type of polypore?

There are lighter variants of chicken of the woods I believe. But it's impossible really to say what any mushroom is by picture other than some boletes, morels and chanterelles.

Check out some resources mentioned earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

Yea I have no idea what any of them are, just know when I saw it I was like wow that's huge, so had to snap a pic. Was dumping bedding from dog box couple days ago and where I dump the straw there are a few interesting ones I need to snap a pic of their white with poka dots.
Some type of polypore?

There are lighter variants of chicken of the woods I believe. But it's impossible really to say what any mushroom is by picture other than some boletes, morels and chanterelles.

Check out some resources mentioned earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

MTaco

Adventurer
A friend of mine got me hooked on Morel's a couple years ago and now every spring it's all I can think about. Here was our first year's crop and they were tasty! Unfortunately this spring was too dry so there were not many around.

IMAG1059%202_zpss9vzius5.jpg

The big one was the first one I ever found. Beginners luck I guess.

IMAG1057%202_zpsv7wjq93p.jpg

1022151834a.jpg

I saw this one growing on a 4" limb under some moss, didn't pick it, then talking to a coworker he showed me a picture of one just like it he found while picking chantrels. His granddad was all excited about his rare find, and they ate it. So I went back and got this sucker, a cauliflower mushroom. Fried dry for a few, until it turned opaque, then butter and garlic to fry it, salt and pepper for seasoning and it was very much like cabbage/noodles. I only ate it after I sent some of it to "granddad" for identification, and they ate it and lived so we ate more. 4 meals out of it and still have about a 5th of it left for tonight.

1024151206c.jpg

Chantrels

1024151206f.jpg

Got about 8 pounds the yesterday

1024151206b.jpg

Just make sure the vanes go down the stem continuously, not a separate cap, the flutes are smooth and don't have a uniform stopping point, they just fade randomly.

mezmochill

Is outside
View attachment 311350

I saw this one growing on a 4" limb under some moss, didn't pick it, then talking to a coworker he showed me a picture of one just like it he found while picking chantrels. His granddad was all excited about his rare find, and they ate it. So I went back and got this sucker, a cauliflower mushroom. Fried dry for a few, until it turned opaque, then butter and garlic to fry it, salt and pepper for seasoning and it was very much like cabbage/noodles. I only ate it after I sent some of it to "granddad" for identification, and they ate it and lived so we ate more. 4 meals out of it and still have about a 5th of it left for tonight.

View attachment 311356

Chantrels

View attachment 311357

Got about 8 pounds the yesterday

View attachment 311358

Just make sure the vanes go down the stem continuously, not a separate cap, the flutes are smooth and don't have a uniform stopping point, they just fade randomly.

Nice! I missed this post. Chantrelle chowder or alfredo:drool:

mezmochill

Is outside
A friend of mine got me hooked on Morel's a couple years ago and now every spring it's all I can think about. Here was our first year's crop and they were tasty! Unfortunately this spring was too dry so there were not many around.

IMAG1059%202_zpss9vzius5.jpg

The big one was the first one I ever found. Beginners luck I guess.

IMAG1057%202_zpsv7wjq93p.jpg

Nice! Its getting closer to that time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier