Looking For Rear Bumper Tire Carrier Manufacturers

chet6.7

Explorer
I want to move my 315/70/18 from the bed to the rear bumper.
I have an A.R.E. DCU shell,no tailgate,as I have double doors.
I do not want a hitch mounted carrier as I may need to tow something.
I know Aluminess makes a rear bumper tire carrier,but I would like to know what else is out there.
Is there something better than Aluminess?
I read on this forum where someone stated the the latches Aluminess used were not that good.
I think I remember a member that used to post pictures of his travels,but no longer posts.
He had a Ford,a camper with a top hatch and an Aluminess rear bumper carrier,as I remember it he had some problems with it.
Does this ring a bell with anyone? I just can't remember his name to search it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I think you would need to define "better".. Like what features are you looking to gain, budget? Your can go quick clean and effective with a tire gate setup. Contact local fab shops to build you a one-off to your needs.. Great people to contact:

CBI offroad

Scotty at Addicted Offroad ( Toyota guy/ but is awesome with custom)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
http://www.wilcooffroad.com

I bought a hitchgate from them a few years back. Good stuff I think they changed their company name or were bought out because I think they were called Tiregate when I bought from them. At that time they were based in Southern CA.

Raul B

Explorer
Check out my build thread. We have a double swing out tire carrier on our truck and love it. Pm me for more details if your interested
e5397161e371c686414563eeb59bb705.jpg
368fb5461232a7f1984dc9af202d7df3.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Raul that looks sick man!!!

Also look at tiregate. They make some pretty cool products.

Or go custom like Raul and have a ************ truck.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks for responding.
I updated my first post with a better description of what I am looking for,I have an A.R.E. DCU shell,no tailgate,as I have double doors.
Raul,that looks good,PM sent.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks for responding.
I updated my first post with a better description of what I am looking for,I have an A.R.E. DCU shell,no tailgate,as I have double doors.

The tirecarrier by tire gate is set up so you can tow also. Thats why I bought it. That and the price was considerably less than anything else. Quality is pretty good also. No complaints.
I also like the ability to easily remove it when I don't need all my big trip crap hanging off the back of the truck.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks for responding.

The tirecarrier by tire gate is set up so you can tow also. Thats why I bought it. That and the price was considerably less than anything else. Quality is pretty good also. No complaints.
http://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-tire-carrier-gm/#

You can see the hitch set up. Its pretty simple and works. The gate mounts in the existing hitch using a pin and very heavy compression system to eliminate any wobble or loose fitting effect. The gate has a hitch mount built into it resting ontop of the the section that mounts to the vehicle. Other than adding some distance from the rear bumper it doesn't impact towing or clearance that much given the way the carrier sits up higher than the hitch on the vehicle. They also sell various fittings you can use to mount different gear to the carrier besides just the tire.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks,I have looked at that product,I want a complete bumper/carrier.
"Meets SAE Class IV coupling classification requirements: 750 lb maximum vertical tongue weight; 7500 lb maximum towing weight"
I have a class V hitch,I would be giving up towing capacity.
I bought a cargo carrier that fits in the hitch,it was 2" and my hitch is 2 1/2" so I used a reducer.
There was slop between the reducer and the cargo carrier, and the reducer and the hitch.
I had the reducer welded to the cargo carrier in an attempt to reduce the slop,I could wiggle it up and down/side to side.
I knew that thing would be flopping around going down HWY 5.
I left the POS in my backyard.
Maybe that was just that product,but I don't want stuff flopping around on my truck.
I will be leaving the tire mounted,so one of the advantages of the tiregate is not an advantage for me.

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
Hey guys. I was planning on upgrading mine (soonish) to the Buckstop Truckware rear bumper with tire swing. I have the Boss front bumper and LOVE it. Even the guys from Pelfrybuilt took a look at it the other day and were impressed by Buckstops strength. I even hit a Mercedes SUV with it and the only problem I had was scratching off German paint.
PSX_20150623_062045.jpg

One of the key features is a latch mechanism that will slam shut and doesn't carry any weight. It's one hand operation to open. That's what Dorian (one of the owners) told me and I think it's pretty cool. I have plans already for LED reverse lights.

My rear for now
DSC_2403.jpg

Pictures I got from Buckstop of their options.
P1050617.jpg
P1050621.jpg

I already have it on order so I'm excited to see it in person. They build great stuff.
Here's a link to their site.
http://www.buckstop.biz/

Nate Day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior