88 Chevy G20 4wd conversion.

mtnmort

I bought an 88 G20 that I want to convert to 4wd. I've been searching for a couple of weeks, and maybe my search skills aren't very good, but I haven't found any good detailed pictures of the leaf spring mounts for the conversion. How are people mounting the front spring hangers and the rear shackle mounts? I wanted to run the 46" leafs I already have&, but is another length better to get around the curve in the frame? I tried to contact Boulder offroad but they aren't responding, is there someone else that makes a kit for the Chevy van? Thanks.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Pathfinder is conversion on my van(85 g20). I'll post some pictures of my front end after my phone charges.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I bought an 88 G20 that I want to convert to 4wd. I've been searching for a couple of weeks, and maybe my search skills aren't very good, but I haven't found any good detailed pictures of the leaf spring mounts for the conversion. How are people mounting the front spring hangers and the rear shackle mounts? I wanted to run the 46" leafs I already have&, but is another length better to get around the curve in the frame? I tried to contact Boulder offroad but they aren't responding, is there someone else that makes a kit for the Chevy van? Thanks.

I'm using 52" springs to hang my Dana 60 under my G20 shorty van. The front spring mount is built into the front crossmember that you need to build. Mine will be built out of 3" box tubing 1/4" wall.... I'm using 6" shackle sides from DIY4x.com for the rear mount.

I'm doing a shackle flip to get the rear up to the height I need to clear 35's... Again diy4x.com for the shackle flip brackets

IMG_2045_zpsb4mbnwtz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2046_zpsb74xvxuo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
uploadfromtaptalk1443257407284.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443257428978.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443257442731.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443257463128.jpg

This what the conversion looks like on my van. Hopefully soon that will coming off planning on coil springs and shocks with a 3 or four link instead of leave springs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtnmort

I'm using 6" angle. I need to pick up my front axle before I can be sure it works, but I'm hoping to space them 40" on center. That way I won't have to inboard my rear spring hangers as much. I'm not sure I can space it at 40" because I don't have the front axle to measure yet. I'm trying to decide between a Dana 60 or 44. Also what springs are you guys using. I need the front to be just under 24". I've found some Ford springs, but it is just a two spring pack and they are 3" wide. I also wanted to run a 2 1/2" spring like the rear.

Last edited:

mtnmort

front plate2.jpg
Like this, then I will weld my spring hangers onto the plate. I'll probably brace it to the frame with a gusset and some 3/16 plate bolted through the frame.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'm using 6" angle. I need to pick up my front axle before I can be sure it works, but I'm hoping to space them 40" on center. That way I won't have to inboard my rear spring hangers as much. I'm not sure I can space it at 40" because I don't have the front axle to measure yet. I'm trying to decide between a Dana 60 or 44. Also what springs are you guys using. I need the front to be just under 24". I've found some Ford springs, but it is just a two spring pack and they are 3" wide. I also wanted to run a 2 1/2" spring like the rear.

I'm using 52" chevy springs (52" eyelet to eyelet).... they are 73-87 2wd pickup REAR leaf springs, 2 1/2" wide... I still have to weld my spring perch on the driver side of my dana 60, so I don't know exactly what my center to center will be, but 40" doesn't sound unreasonable.... The Dana 60 will cost you around $1000 or more, but it is well worth the initial investment. I like to build things once.... One tons are a little overkill for just street driving, but I intend on wheeling the snot out of mine, and I would break the dana 44 the first time out.... So it probably depends on your driving style/habits.... A 100% pure street rig would probably be ok with a Dana 44...

mtnmort

I don't wheel my stuff. I do a lot of off-road driving. Rough roads and trails, but I just use it to get to lakes and places up in the mountains. I just got back from a trip from Alabama up through Chicago west through the badlands the big horns spent three days up in the mountains hiking. Then on to the Tetons and Yellowstone and then down through Idaho. In Utah I got off on a sheep road that was pretty rough, but doable in my 06 4Runner with a 2 1/2 lift.

That's the driving I'm planning for this rig.

mtnmort

i was looking at the ford springs because even though they were 52" the front eyelet to the spring pin was about 24". From the measuring I've done I figure that's what I need in order to not have to move my springs too far forward on the frame.

mtnmort

Lunchbox
I've been watching your build over on pirate. It's looking good. I'm trying to buy a Dana 44 for the front, but am having a hard time finding one here in Alabama. That's what I'm waiting on right now. I was hoping to get the axle built when I get back in town. that way I can figure out what other parts I need to start the build.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Lunchbox
I've been watching your build over on pirate. It's looking good. I'm trying to buy a Dana 44 for the front, but am having a hard time finding one here in Alabama. That's what I'm waiting on right now. I was hoping to get the axle built when I get back in town. that way I can figure out what other parts I need to start the build.

Thanks! It looks like you may have to broaden your search a little bit, doesn't look like much on craigslist down there. Try Atlanta.... I found a lot of stuff there when I was looking...

Here's a whole truck you could part-out and probably have very little in your axles....

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/5207460846.html

mtnmort

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I'm living at the airport and can't have a parts vehicle there. That's why I didn't buy one originally. I travel for a living and found the 8 lug hubs and the passenger side flat top knuckle in Texas last week. I'm headed to Kentucky tomorrow and Jackson beach Florida later this week and will look there.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
How far is ft.rucker or benning from you in Alabama? Usually it's are selling vehicles right and left because changing duty stations or deployments.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online