lightweight 16x7 alloys for a tacoma

enicma

good evening,

long time stalker here. I have a 2004 3RZ double cab tacoma that's a bit on the sluggish side to say the least. after much research and a recent sale I picked up some 235/85/16 cooper at3s that weigh in at about 41lb a piece. I'm now trying to figure out what 16x7 wheels could be a good match for this tire. I'm looking at alloys. Seems like the outback tx-1s would have been a good match but no longer available in the US. I like the SCS F5 at 19lb but they only come in a 16x8. So I'm looking towards stock toyota wheels over the years and poring over pages of forum results trying to find some weights for them. I'm also hoping to find a bit less backspacing than the 4.5" stock to keep the stance reasonable. This rules out the newer tacoma wheels which would require spacers, a route I'm hoping to avoid for various reasons. Some of the FJ wheels seem to be close; but I can't find a weight for the 5 spoke all-terrain package wheels and the 6-spoke trd ones seem to be about 29 lbs. I've also seen some mention the older three-spoke 4runner wheels in a 16x7 are under 20lbs but info seems sketchy.

Right now I have toyota steelies and 265/75/16 revo2s if anyone is wondering.

Any suggestions as to what light 16x7 might be out there are appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

ca18_sean

Adventurer
I feel like these should be fairly light... Not sure what they came on, but I've seen Enkei wheels come stock on T100's, Tacomas, and even Camrys. I believe those split 3 spoke 4Runner wheels were made by Enkei as well. The offset and size seems right for your Tacoma.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-of-4-us...RES-/361376677765?hash=item5423ba7f85&vxp=mtr

I know those are pick up in Miami only, but it might give you another option to search for if you like the style :)

enicma

I feel like these should be fairly light... Not sure what they came on, but I've seen Enkei wheels come stock on T100's, Tacomas, and even Camrys. I believe those split 3 spoke 4Runner wheels were made by Enkei as well. The offset and size seems right for your Tacoma.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-of-4-us...RES-/361376677765?hash=item5423ba7f85&vxp=mtr

I know those are pick up in Miami only, but it might give you another option to search for if you like the style :)

That looks like a great option & wasn't on my radar at all. Thank you!

I did consider 255s extensively and honestly they probably are the best looking size but I decided to go a little smaller in an effort to keep the acceleration & braking of the truck reasonable. It is armored and when I drive it it's usually full of camping gear/bikes/people/dogs and the braking can be scary when something unexpected comes up. And to be honest accelerating slow doesn't bother me at all but it sure seems to bother whoever is behind me!

Nick

CYi5

Explorer
Pretty sure the stock 01-04 star style 4.5" BS tacoma rims are around 24 lbs.
Split 3 spoke 16x7 rims are 22.2 lbs (internet)
Flowery 01-02 4runner limited rims are 22.5 lbs. (internet)
My FZJ80 16x8 4.5" BS rims are 21 lbs.

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
I found a set of these a while back 16X7" a little less than 20lbs it's a factory Toyota wheel off of a 4runner I think it was called a chrome edition? I am also running 235/85/16 tires on my Taco since these DC trucks are not exactly rocket ships...

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Weight may help, but it won't overcome increase in tire size. May be time to consider a regear....

Arktikos

Explorer
Weight may help, but it won't overcome increase in tire size. May be time to consider a regear....

Good point. However: 1. I think the tires he's replacing are approximately the same diameter as the new tires. (31-32") 2. Re gearing is expensive. 3. Driving a 2nd gen pickup for awhile would cure him of the "sluggish" impression his truck has left.:)

enicma

I found a set of these a while back 16X7" a little less than 20lbs it's a factory Toyota wheel off of a 4runner I think it was called a chrome edition? I am also running 235/85/16 tires on my Taco since these DC trucks are not exactly rocket ships...

dude, that's money. this is exactly the info I was hoping for; there does exist a holy grail of oem toyota truck wheels!

I ended up picking up some refurbished 5-spoke FJ wheels, which weigh 22.5lbs on my scale. I'll throw up some pics once I get them mounted on the truck.

Speaking of re-gearing, already running 5.29s. I just saw the chance to help the truck out some and every little bit helps. A trip to the dump last week and I was at 4300 lbs on their scales. 40lbs less at the wheels would be a welcome improvement!

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen

Nick

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Please post pics when you can as I have always loved the 2005-06 Tundra TRD OR wheels. They are 5-spokes also.
They are 16x7 but do have 4.5" backspacing...

This is the wheel I always liked.

Tundra5spoke.jpg

This is the guy who bought the set I had and should have kept. :(

IMG_20140303_092256487_zpsgyly3hv5.jpg

On a 4runner I saw at a used car lot.

IMG_20140406_082056360_zps3umidnvr.jpg

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
dude, that's money. this is exactly the info I was hoping for; there does exist a holy grail of oem toyota truck wheels!

I ended up picking up some refurbished 5-spoke FJ wheels, which weigh 22.5lbs on my scale. I'll throw up some pics once I get them mounted on the truck.

Speaking of re-gearing, already running 5.29s. I just saw the chance to help the truck out some and every little bit helps. A trip to the dump last week and I was at 4300 lbs on their scales. 40lbs less at the wheels would be a welcome improvement!

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen

Nick

I see a few 4Runners around here with these wheels on them hopefully one day I will find another set. Any way keep us posted looking forward to seeing your pizza cutters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke