1994 Ford E250 , FINALLY got one that wont blow up

ArcticBus

Observer
Called on spray foam $1200-1600 . SO I'm going to go with reflectix then solid 2" blue board and then some form of vapor barrier. I think. I'm not really sure , but I saved all the insulation and wood
strips from the original builders plan. suggestions ? the problem with being in alaska is I can't affordably get alot of the stuff people in lower 48 can get.

ArcticBus

Observer
Questions . On the roof the original owner glued the insulation up there no vapor barrier so I pulled it all down and I have a forest of pink stalactites up there. Any idea to get it off aside from a steel brush ? Thinking foam board for ceilings ? using old R13 that was in good shape from the walls to pack the voids. Reflectix and 1" foil backed foam for walls

ArcticBus

Observer
Insulation starting

Reflectix going in finally, have next 2 weeks off should be able to knock alot out

Van%20Insulation%20002_zpscd6rkdje.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Van%20Insulation%20003_zpsn68ytjb4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Treenail

Adventurer
Insulation is all good...up to a point.

Take a look at 1" foam board with foil backing on both sides. The R value is quite high.

Using 2" foam does add insulation but there is so much glass and leaky door seals that I doubt that you're gaining very much in the long run.

2" will also remove floor space...valuable in any van! Plus, the 1" is much easier to work with.

ArcticBus

Observer
I can find that locally for sure but how plyable is it. Wondering how short I will have to cut it. And I assume a vapor barrier after the 1" board. Thanks for interacting with me. been a long project already

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've got complete reflextic covering the interior and 1inch foam boards for the walls, its plenty for moderate climates... then the EsparD4 will fill the voids-lol

Have you considered a proper heating system?

ArcticBus

Observer
It's a summer only van, so even here in alaska it's not going to be terrible. I was thinking about the Mr Heater, inside safe propane ones if I get a chill. This is a strickly weekend rig. Bbasso , do you happen to have any pictures of how you installed the 1" boards

ArcticBus

Observer
For anyone following this I will say I checked the Temps in the van after it being 36*F and rain for a few days. It's very comfortable with only 1/2 the Reflectix done. Tomorrow I will finish the rest of it hopefully and start to tape . more pics to follow

BigC

Observer
Yeah, I've found that with a moderate amount of insulation done, thing's stay moderately comfortable down to about the freezing point. After that, things go down hill pretty quick. When it's ~40 degrees outside I can do everything in my van comfortably without worrying about running my heater. From there down to 15 degrees or so I run the heater periodically, and from there down, I just run the heater to keep warm when doing stuff and then curl up in the bed. At -20 (the coldest I've camped in it in) It only took about 15 minutes for the temp in the van to drop from ~75 degrees to ~40 degrees so at that point your insulation is basically worthless unless you're running a nice Espar or something like Bbasso has.

ArcticBus

Observer
Been a while, had a vacation and some family medical issues to deal with. Pics are coming this week. Floor material is here, so is carpet, and cabinets. All I need now is a new drivers seat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz