Hard mount pop trailer to truck frame?

saltbranch

Hey all,
New to the forum and looking to learn some new tricks. A little back ground on what I do camping wise. I live in south Texas and I fish Padre Island National Seashore quite abit. This is a 60 mile long beach that has no amenities, so you have to be prepared before going down. I do a lot of shark fishing and one the things we do is have overhead rack with rod holders mounted up top. Keeps the lines from rubbing on sandbars etc. I am process of buying another pickup and do a dedicated beach rig build for it. One thing I am really leaning towards is taking small 8' box popup camper trailer, remove the suspension and tongue. Weld some bolt down brackets and bolt it down the the flatbed I will have my new truck. Has anyone done this before? Any pictures. I would mount the popup to where the door would face the back of the truck, the 8' box keeps ny width legal. when popped out I have quit abit of room. Plus I would have the roof area for available for my storage totes for the trip to from fishing area. I also think that by going this route it have less interference with my overhead rack. Has this been done before? any pointers to any pics?
Thank you

saltbranch

Well Maybe something will come along for pics. I did something very similar in the late 90's. I cut tongue,axles etc off and welded hard mounts on frame, then mounted the box to the front of a bumper pull carhauler trailer. I would then load Suzuki Samurais behind it, secure the trucks and we were off 4wheeling. Unload trucks, pop camper up and we were good to go.I made a toyhauler before they were even on the market :).

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are some Unimog and Fuso trucks running around with a tent trailer bolted to the bed, google images will pull some up.

RoyJ

Adventurer
I'm curious what your research will turn up.

I've got an even crazier idea of my own. Similar to yours, but larger in scale:

Dirt Bike.jpg

And with a Smart car:

Smart Car.jpg

Treenail

Adventurer
Salt and Roy,

Ahhh...kindred dreamers and planners!

Here's my concept...it falls in between the two of yours.

Vans fit my needs better than pickups. Enclosed cubic space works better for me. The catch...no outside storage or work area.

A flatbed van is my solution. After doing a lot of research I've found that in 2007 Ford beefed up the E150 to a heavier payload capacity. Just high enough for my needs.

Now...how to morf a flatbed into a van.

Right now I'm set on buying an E150 cargo with barn doors on the side. Weld the rear side door in place to retain the seal and latch. Then, cut off the rest of the van body along a line just aft the door pillar. Think of a vertical line about where the glass in the side door might be. Remove the box and close in the back of the body.

This company makes fiberglass back walls...and they're within about 90 minutes of me!

http://www.cabbacks.com/

If the Cab Back doesn't line up I'll either weld in sheet metal or use sheet fiberglass or UV proof plastic sheeting for the new back wall.

After the body is removed I'd build a flatbed as low as possible. This makes a work truck with some inside storage.

There are many slide in pop top pickup campers available. Since they have cut outs for fenders I'd have places to add storage cabinets. A pop-up camper would work too.

I would likely end up with over 8' of clear flatbed length. Lots of space.

The next phase [in my dream build] would be to build foamie slider like a few people are building:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=a4de8d0c813aa6f398dbf5cfb1991e0c

Since my build isn't going to be a full-on expo/off road build I'm not so worried about frame flexing.

Tom

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm curious what your research will turn up.

I've got an even crazier idea of my own. Similar to yours, but larger in scale:

View attachment 307086

And with a Smart car:

View attachment 307087

IMO the more intelligent way to do it is to flip the camper around as intended, and use the overhang as a garage.

Regardless of the size and weight of the truck, placing weight in front of the rear wheels is always safer than behind.

Because you are not required to install some sort of rigging / platform / hitch system, you will also be adding much less weight to the overall equation.

A set of ramps is all that is needed.

volvo-780-with-smart-car.jpg

You will also retain the ability to bumper pull if needed with nothing more than a hitch extension or short frame extension.
Or as a lot of folks are doing already, smart car on the deck, fifth wheel in tow.

7b920986c37f5c62f9bc17a9c0eb4611.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Here's a crazy thought. What about an E350 van with an old Jayco pop up trailer camper on the roof. A hole cut through the roof and the bottom of the camper. All you have to do is open up the camper, climb through the roof and you're in your camper. The pop up parts of the camper can go in either directions. Pop up on the sides of the van for an awning type thing, or, front to back so you'll have half of it be like a flippac and the other half as an awning.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Here's a crazy thought. What about an E350 van with an old Jayco pop up trailer camper on the roof. A hole cut through the roof and the bottom of the camper. All you have to do is open up the camper, climb through the roof and you're in your camper. The pop up parts of the camper can go in either directions. Pop up on the sides of the van for an awning type thing, or, front to back so you'll have half of it be like a flippac and the other half as an awning.

Oh boy....

TommyG

Adventurer
I like the way you think. We have been thinking of purchasing a military trailer chassis and cutting up and grafting a pop up camper to it. You could just pull it along and have be able to run your to vehicle separate from your accommodations. This would more than handle the weight of a modern pop up. I am concerned that it would be top-heavy and it might not tow real well on the highway. We are seriously considering buying the chassis and a ratty camper to try it out. If it works out and tows reasonably we can look for a better camper to chop up:

b18fcb2f-5490-4567-b3e5-ce155a8ac65c-09042015-cropped-TR-157A.jpg

Erik N

Adventurer
My beach trailer is for sale. I am in San Antonio.

Attachments

• DSCN0323.JPG
    DSCN0323.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0926resized.jpg
    DSCN0926resized.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz