Baltic Birch 5X5 Panels

Lynnrb

Observer
The platform for my Willys wagon wagon is going to be appox. 5'x5'. I did not want to splice 4X8 plywood together to make 5'X5' so I found 5X5 Baltic Birch, 9 ply panels at Woodworkers Source. A little trimming on the sides and I will have a seamless platform. Anyone run into the same issue, try the 5X5 panels.

Last edited:

amo292

Adventurer
Interested to see what you come up with for a willys wagon storage platform. Hope to see some pictures when you complete it. My wagon has been off the road for a couple years now but id like to get back in it for short close to home trips.

Lynnrb

Observer
Interested to see what you come up with for a willys wagon storage platform. Hope to see some pictures when you complete it. My wagon has been off the road for a couple years now but id like to get back in it for short close to home trips.

Here is a shot of the unfinished platform

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 72

Lynnrb

Observer
1960 Willys wagon build

Here is the completed platform/storage/fridge. The platform is 5'x5', but over 6-1/2' with the seats folded flat. The 12v Waeco fridge is a 30 liter drawer type. I have a 20 gal water tank installed between the fridge and the driver seat. A 1 gal/min pump feeds the sprayer nozzle that stores above the fridge drawer. The drawer is 60"x20"x13" with 2 dividers. The drawer can be pulled out to about 55". The 4WD Willys wagon is a 1960 with a 307 SBC/TH400 powertrain. The rest of the drive train is stock. A 64 watt solar panel is stored under the roof rack and charges both a 100 amp/hr AGM battery stored under the platform and the group 24 starting battery. The fridge can be switched to run off either battery
I am going to use the Willys for back road exploring.

Attachments

• willys 076.jpg
    willys 076.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 57
  • willys 065.jpg
    willys 065.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 59
  • willys 069.jpg
    willys 069.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 50
  • willys 070.jpg
    willys 070.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 51
  • willys 074.jpg
    willys 074.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 49

amo292

Adventurer
Looks excellent! Giving me lots of ideas. I should probably get my 59 wagon running and stopping before I do a platform though....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hey where did you get the Baltic birch from anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try your local woodworking supply store. Woodworkers Source is where I go in AZ, but Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. have a broader reach.

The Baltic Birch is superior to the common construction grade material you get at the home improvement stores - but it does come at a premium.

Redman333

Adventurer
Try your local woodworking supply store. Woodworkers Source is where I go in AZ, but Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. have a broader reach.

The Baltic Birch is superior to the common construction grade material you get at the home improvement stores - but it does come at a premium.

Funny you responded now. I had a hard time finding the wood here local on the east coat of the U.S. But I had a guy at the lumbar place here looking for me and he just called and said he found a place that has a stack of 6 or the 5x5 sheets. He said it'd be $84 a piece.

Lynnrb

Observer
Funny you responded now. I had a hard time finding the wood here local on the east coat of the U.S. But I had a guy at the lumbar place here looking for me and he just called and said he found a place that has a stack of 6 or the 5x5 sheets. He said it'd be $84 a piece.

I paid $35 for 1/2" sheet in Phoenix. 3/4" should only 30% more. $84 is way to much.

Redman333

Adventurer
I plan on looking some more but at least I know I can get it now. I had to go back and redesign my setup anyway because I'm 2 1/2" too long. I think I know how to fix it but I may not need a 3rd sheet the way I'm planning it. Just have to make sure first.

Lynnrb

Observer

Here is a folding mattress pad I found on Amazon. It folds in thirds. So I will fold it and store behind the seats and leave room for other gear on the platform.

http://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Tri-f.../dp/B00W67PCTE

slammer67

I can get the 5x5 BB sheets here in Colorado for $45-$50 per sheet. It's really strong, the 1/2" thick stuff is like 9-ply, so its stronger than most plywoods out there. It makes great drawers and cabinets too.

BTW Lynnrb - that mattress is awesome, I may get one....the queen is 58" wide, so would work good for the 60" plywood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke