Thinking of my first 60

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I'm not too concerned with the Spartan aspect of it, I want to get back to a more "raw." Vehicle. I have no kids and currently drive a 6spd taco 20+ miles each way a day to work and back.

As for the smog stuff, I would be interested and rebuilding the engine and deleting all the smog stuff. I would love to maybe do headers and the rest of the exhaust and maybe cam it if that's possible. I know these engines aren't performance motors I would just be doing it to basically return the engine to "0" miles and maybe get a little extra We don't emissions test in fl so if possible k would gut the emissions stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Yep, it's all in what you are used to. My 60 is a lotmore comfy than my old jeep :smiley_drive:

I get around dallas in stop and go traffic and the biggest issue I run into is people tailgating me. It's amazing how big of hurry people are in.

Bill D.

I have this problem in my 2012 Taco. I can't believe people these days.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
I'm really wanting to get back to a simpler vehicle. What can I expect to pay for a fully restored or mostly restored 60? I've always wanted a land cruiser and have always liked both the 40 and the 60 but I think a 60 would be most practical for me with its bigger size and fuel injection. Truck would be a do it all vehicle, dd and adventure vehicle.

What I would like is basically a rust free, turn key full restoration vehicle with low miles as it needs to be reliable. I'm fine wrenching on stuff and plan to modify it my self, I just want something that has already been restored or mostly restored so that the truck can be daily driven while working on/modding it.

The reason I'm asking isn't because I haven't done research but rather because I'm a bit confused. Prices seem to be all over the place and I've seen some fairly cheap 60's that look great so I'm wondering what the catch is.

I'm about to start restoring an '87 FJ60 with 124k miles to pretty much the level you said. Running like new, no rust, charged A/C, new battery and tires, all original, all maintenance brought up to date. I'll be pricing it for at least $10,000, possibly more depending on how much work I do to it and comparable vehicles.

It's pretty easy to find a good example for around $5000, but they invariably have high miles, rust, or some other issue, plus you can anticipate several deferred maintenance items. Everybody loves driving a Land Cruiser, but it seems that nobody wants to work on one except we happy few. Good deals can be had, but low mileage, rust-free trucks seem to usually go for around $10,000, give or take for non-originality and various mechanical or body issues.

Naw I drive my 60 everyday. It's not a chore by any means.

I concur. My only issue with daily driving is the barely adequate braking. It can get you in trouble with quick redlights (but I'm also running heavy 33" Duratracs). Even without rear shocks currently, the factory suspension on my '86 is not bad at all for a leaf sprung vehicle. People who think it rides rough are usually just spoiled by cars with coil springs.

TLC Norway

Depending on your budget, you should really contact land cruisers direct.
I've seen quite a few of imported ones over on ih8mud, if you want good clean low mileage cruiser you should at least check them out.

I love my HJ61, and wouldn't trade it for anything else. mines a 88' HJ61 with 12HT direct injection diesel, 5spd, factory cable lockers front and rear, and just passed half a million kilometers.
I think that's the golden package!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Depending on your budget, you should really contact land cruisers direct.
I've seen quite a few of imported ones over on ih8mud, if you want good clean low mileage cruiser you should at least check them out.

I love my HJ61, and wouldn't trade it for anything else. mines a 88' HJ61 with 12HT direct injection diesel, 5spd, factory cable lockers front and rear, and just passed half a million kilometers.
I think that's the golden package!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I've looked there and am constantly looking back, there is lots of great looking stuff at reasonable prices. Only thing that I don't like is everything seems to be right hand drive. Would converting it to lh drive be a viable option?

Arktikos

Explorer
I've looked there and am constantly looking back, there is lots of great looking stuff at reasonable prices. Only thing that I don't like is everything seems to be right hand drive. Would converting it to lh drive be a viable option?

It would probably take a few hundred hours of labor and/or a few thousand dollars to accomplish, but it has been done. Look at that other post a couple down about converting a Troopy.

TheMuffinMan

I'm working on piecing together a 60 and can definitely concur that finding a good rust-free example is very hard to find. I got lucky and found a half-finished '82 diesel that had a ton of work done to remove the rust...fenders, rear quarters, door bottoms and rockers all replaced. Just needs a good paint job and refresh of the suspension and drivetrain and I should have one of the cleanest BJ60s around (even that will be a ton of work though). Good luck with your search!

Paint prep coming along
06b8f6e5d2260d8e22e84bb5faf1fff9.jpg

NCFJ

Adventurer
Finding a clean 60/62 is harder every day, no doubt. I look for examples with clean body and frame with as little rust as possible. More and more I am getting potential customers that are basically looking for a "New" 60/62. There are a lot of folks out there that are tired of the modern SUVs and all the issues that come with them and are looking for a more practical solution. The 60/62 platform with modern power train is something that can be driven another 10-20 years with basic maintenance.

Personally, I am dreaming of a 60 on an 80 chassis with a swap. Main reason for 60 over 62 is manual windows and locks.

JoshH

RHD really isn't that bad. The only downside I have found is not getting fast food or using the ATM as I am on the wrong side of the truck to do so conveniently. I think of it as saving me money and eating better instead of a hindrance.

midwayliberator

So I figured this is a good spot sd any to ask a question?
I found a 88 60s with a real decent body. Rust only on the pinched channel frame and rear quarter panel( very tiny rust spot)
The previous owner swapped in a Chevy 350 complete with a Chevy 4 speed tranny with overdrive.
He is asking 13,
What do people think is a fair ball park figure?
Thanks

40-Overlander

If you have the FJ60 itch because of it's body styling then the only thing to cure it is buying an FJ60. If you're open to options and depending on the budget I'd say take a look at a well cared for 80 or 100 series. I bought a 97 FZJ80 with 207K miles on it about a month and a half ago for the same reason you're looking at a 60. Although I've spent pretty much every weekend modifying or doing repairs I couldn't be happier. I view it as a learning experience and a hobby. I don't have much of a mechanical background but I have learned a ton about this vehicle from youtube, expedition portal, Ih8mud, and other random 80 owners that I've talked to in a parking lot. I've fixed several issues with it in my garage minus reseating a wheel bearing (lacked the large socket required, but the NEX autoshop fixed it for $20). With the current condition it's in right now I would feel comfortable if I had to drive across the U.S. Even with the high mileage it runs like a champ.

Like everyone else has said, keep an eye out for rust and any half-*** repairs or modifications from previous owners. Also I would keep in mind that FJ60's have aged a little more than the 80s which means finding small things to complete the vehicle can be expensive or hard to find. I'm missing an ashtray out of one of my back doors and I've seen them online for over $100....and I just want it so I can fill the missing trim piece :(

Not sure if you've seen the Slee off road website but here's a few links for info about the 80 and the 100..

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

Good luck with the search!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I can relate to your desire for a 60. 11 years ago we got our 60 and my son and I restored it. We spent years exploring Colorado and Utah from our KCMO home. Ours started rust free and had 160k, it now has over 260k and the original engine is getting tired and ready for a rebuild. Although it was never my DD, I've spent countless hours driving it in every kind of urban and rural environments and wouldn't have changed a thing about its basic manners. Like they say, "your on cruiser time" when your driving a 60 so you just learn to take it easy and enjoy the rumble. Good luck with your search!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 28
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448407386.014677.jpg
Sold yesterday here in Atlanta.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448407751.976802.jpg
One of TLCs restorations with Vortec swap...final bid will surely clear $40K.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448407887.321220.jpg
Still available in LA...

Values on 60 series are on the rise. Look for 60 series to ultimately mimic 40 series values. A clean, rust free, nearly all OEM, well maintained, sub 100K mile 60 series is a $19-20K truck imho. Above 100K and $15-$17K in same condition.

Price comes down to how much rust, restoration, and mileage your pocketbook can stomach.

ColoradoMax

I daily drove a 60 I in Colorado a while back, it was a great vehicle. Others are correct, the only cure for FJ60 fever is more FJ60.

However, I wouldn't drive one today (especially in higher altitudes) without an engine swap. I know the 2F rivals anvils and wrecking balls in terms of reliability, but I don't have the patience for the lack of power if MPGs will never go north of 13-14.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz