Thinking of my first 60

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
Well said.

Yes. It was painful driving in the mountains with the 2F.

Agree. My '87 FJ60's 2F has about 285,000 miles on it and was rebuilt by Man-a-Fre around 250,000 miles. Runs great, but I'm thinking more and more about swapping it for a Vortec and moving the 2F over to my '73 FJ40. The 60 is a snail in the mountains, and pulling our camping trailer makes things even worse. Even a moderate grade is sometimes a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colington

Great post! I agree with the only cure for an FJ60, is an FJ60.

To touch on the original question, I say go FJ60/62 over the 80 series. While the 80 is more "modern" and delivers better performance specs in every category, that is almost the bad part for me. I've had both and I had a lot of issues with the 80. They are prone to head gaskets, poor mpg and lots of little/expensive age prone failures. Really for me, I just feel like the 60 gets you noticed and Harkens back to a simpler time. The 80 is just another truck... May as well have a 4Runner or suburban for all the uniqueness it affords you. The 60 is something you get when you want it. It's that simple really. It's a lifestyle on wheels and an all access pass into a great club of like minded cruiser heads. All of that said, look hard for a diesel version. B, 2H or the mighty 12ht. Most will be 24v and RHD, but that's a small price to pay for the pros they offer.

Good luck either way!

AK.xplorer

Observer
I've driven or owned every 60 series ever made to include all the diesel variants. I've even helped with a 2FE conversion as well. I prefer inline six engines over V8 conversions.

I hunt, fish, haul building materials, haul canoes, and haul dog teams around the north country. I will say that the mess of well aged vacuum actuated stuff on the 60's needs to be removed for your own sanity. The 62 series benefits greatly from the nomad valve body. It's almost a must-have if you tow.

My next project vehicle is going to be a rust-free fj60 with a built 300 cubic inch, inline six ford engine. I want a reman fully synchronized zf five speed manual and a reman np205 transfer case. These are really good engines, and will be PERFECT for a land cruiser-style power delivery. How about 350 ft lbs of torque coming in at 1800 rpms? All the UPS brown delivery trucks had these engines at one time. Heck, they even came in 3/4 ton ford trucks back in the 1970's.

They offer the same reliability attributes as a toyota F motor: Gear driven timing, pushrods, 7 main bearings 2 gallon oil capacity,.
BUT you can use the following:
Aftermarket forged 390 ford pistons, forged connecting rods, roller rockers, high flow intake manifolds that accept all sorts of small four barrel carburetors. Way more affordable to build, than the venerable Toyota F motors. Many of these 300 cubic inch ford motors are running around here with over 300,000 miles on the original engines. These blocks and heads were cast at the Cleveland plant. No joke......I have a FORGED STEEL crank shaft that came from an industrial 300 inline six ford engine. That's at machine shop, and the boys there are drooling over this rare gem. It needed way less work to balance, than the last 2f crankshaft I had done up.

The 12ht has great low torque, when that 260 ft lbs of torque comes in at 1800 rpms. For me, it's about getting a vehicle to start at 50 below zero, I've no love for the diesels, though the 12ht is a lovely land cruiser engine.

When I do get to puttin all this torquey, forged steel goodness into a 60 series, I hope it doesn't twist the land cruiser into a rotini pasta noodle!

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
A better fj60 alternative is a sherp, there's less 3FE piston slap, and less emissions spaghetti than a 2f. It's slightly better offroad, even without a snorkel, haha!:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Agree. My '87 FJ60's 2F has about 285,000 miles on it and was rebuilt by Man-a-Fre around 250,000 miles. Runs great, but I'm thinking more and more about swapping it for a Vortec and moving the 2F over to my '73 FJ40. The 60 is a snail in the mountains, and pulling our camping trailer makes things even worse. Even a moderate grade is sometimes a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy, I can pull my camper with my 60 up to twin lakes. I live at 5000 feet and twin lakes is at 8600 feet. I have no issue keeping up with traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier