Thinking of my first 60

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I'm really wanting to get back to a simpler vehicle. What can I expect to pay for a fully restored or mostly restored 60? I've always wanted a land cruiser and have always liked both the 40 and the 60 but I think a 60 would be most practical for me with its bigger size and fuel injection. Truck would be a do it all vehicle, dd and adventure vehicle.

What I would like is basically a rust free, turn key full restoration vehicle with low miles as it needs to be reliable. I'm fine wrenching on stuff and plan to modify it my self, I just want something that has already been restored or mostly restored so that the truck can be daily driven while working on/modding it.

The reason I'm asking isn't because I haven't done research but rather because I'm a bit confused. Prices seem to be all over the place and I've seen some fairly cheap 60's that look great so I'm wondering what the catch is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Welcome!

It sounds like you are actually looking for an FJ62 (fuel injected, automatic transmission, square headlights), which was made from 1988-1990 in the U.S. Not to be confused with the FJ60 (carb'd, manual tranny, round headlights), made until 1987.

Price is really broad subject and really boils down to what you are willing to pay. It might help to have a general idea of your budget. There are many experts here that can guide you. Also check out the classified section here.

If you have visited the 60 Series on ih8mud.com and the classifieds there I recommend that as well.

chitown40

I love the 60 series more than anyone, but I can tell you from experience, daily driving any 60 series (60/62) is a chore and not really pleasant. For off-road, weekend warrior duty it really is a great truck.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Thanks chuck! I didn't realize that the 62 didn't come with a manual tranny option. I guess it would probably be a 60 that I'm looking for then. I like the round headlights better too and I can deal with a carb. I'll check out ih8mud too.

I'm not in a hurry to buy so I can definitely wait for that just the right one.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I love the 60 series more than anyone, but I can tell you from experience, daily driving any 60 series (60/62) is a chore and not really pleasant. For off-road, weekend warrior duty it really is a great truck.

Naw I drive my 60 everyday. It's not a chore by any means.

chitown40

I guess it depends where you live. In an urban environment it's a chore. Stop and go traffic is not nearly as enjoyable in a 60 series than in any other vehicle. Outside in a suburban non congested area the 60 is not too bad.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer

What makes daily driving it unpleasant?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I guess it depends where you live. In an urban environment it's a chore. Stop and go traffic is not nearly as enjoyable in a 60 series than in any other vehicle. Outside in a suburban non congested area the 60 is not too bad.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It's not any different than any other manual.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Having owned a 60, I don't think I would call it simple. The engineering hoops they had to go through to smog carbed cars is really insane - miles of vacuum hoses and switches. I found it to be a pain to troubleshoot. If you're lucky, given the age of the car or where you live, you could delete all that stuff. Unfortunately, when I owned mine it was still subject to emissions.

I wouldn't call driving it a chore, but the 4 speed isn't too great at higher speeds. It is common to swap in a 5 speed. But if I was to do it over again, I would get a 62. Not so much for the auto (which I would prefer to the 4 speed, but probably not to the 5 speed), but for the power windows and locks. Manual locks are a real PITA if you have kids or want to let a passenger in.

chitown40

It's not any different than any other manual.

Umm, yeah it kind of is. The FJ60 suspension, even after an upgrade to OME, is punishing unless you have it loaded down enough. At that point your MPG is shot to hell.

Daily driving can mean different things to different people. You may daily drive it 5 miles to work on a back road, while someone else may be commuting 15 miles in stop and go traffic. I'm also not saying there are issues with a 60 as a DD, but rather that there are better choices. Daily driving a 60 will make you not like it as much, compared to taking it out wheeling and camping and for other recreational means.

All I'm saying is that the 60 is pretty spartan and rough around the edges. With that being said, I've owned many, and still to this day think of it as my favorite of all the cruisers for its classic lines, colors, and utilitarian body.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Umm, yeah it kind of is. The FJ60 suspension, even after an upgrade to OME, is punishing unless you have it loaded down enough. At that point your MPG is shot to hell.

Daily driving can mean different things to different people. You may daily drive it 5 miles to work on a back road, while someone else may be commuting 15 miles in stop and go traffic. I'm also not saying there are issues with a 60 as a DD, but rather that there are better choices. Daily driving a 60 will make you not like it as much, compared to taking it out wheeling and camping and for other recreational means.

All I'm saying is that the 60 is pretty spartan and rough around the edges. With that being said, I've owned many, and still to this day think of it as my favorite of all the cruisers for its classic lines, colors, and utilitarian body.

Not really :) not punishing at all. I daily drove my unimog for a while. An fj60 is luxurious compared to that.

txnight

Adventurer
Yep, it's all in what you are used to. My 60 is a lotmore comfy than my old jeep :smiley_drive:

I get around dallas in stop and go traffic and the biggest issue I run into is people tailgating me. It's amazing how big of hurry people are in.

Bill D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz