Vanimal: 4x4 Sprinter build

Kgorman

Observer
Scheduled OCT 21 to install Fantastic Fan at Sportsmobile in Austin. I am getting a quote for them to do the insulation as well.

Kgorman

Observer
Another update.

We decided on our bed config. Two adults down and kids above. Well, we will see if that works for the kids at least. One thing we really wanted to have is the ability to move the lower platform out of the way so we can use the space in different configurations for different missions. We decided on two fold up benches at the bottom (72"). Time will tell if they are comfy enough and we are happy sleeping that way. Worse case I will span the two benches to make a queen.

I ordered the bench kit x2, and the wall kit from RBComponents. The goal is something similar to this:
image.jpg

Except the top bunk will be the hammock style. I ordered enough wall kit for the entire rig just like the photo, but RB is custom cutting the walls to fit under the factory headliner that comes in the crew van config. The benches will be the same as the picture. In order to mount everything i will need to weld or rivnut horizontal supports.

Kgorman

Observer
Wow! neet build. I'm thinking along similar lines for my family van.
My vote is for riv-nuts.

Thx!

Yes, I already have the rivnut tool and the nuts, so I am pretty sure this is the path I am going to to take. I was thinking of using 1/8" x 3" steel bar so I can put the walls up right over the supports and tack through the wall into the steel. It will also be where the bed rails, benches, and l-track get support from.

Kgorman

Observer
I called and spoke to Hein at impact3d regarding insulation after reading up here and on sprinter-source.com. I felt confident that thinsulate is the proper material for my needs. Ordered 50ft.

Kgorman

Observer
A little more detail.

I decided to put the l-track right on top of the stock flooring. It does stick up, and wouldn't be a good surface to walk on. I plan a whole flooring project in the future, and may opt to route out a channel for the track then. For now this should work to hold bikes, our storage tote system, etc. I used 5/8" SS composite screws, but I think you could go 3/4" safely. Here is the McMaster item: http://www.mcmaster.com/#90000a143/=zeer1u. The track itself is from US Cargo control, item # AT72BL 72" l-track black.

I also ordered my interim power setup. I say interim because I want to have air conditioning, and I realize it's going to take big juice. For now I went with an all Goal Zero setup after reading a ton about the gear here. I feel like they are a quality USA made product with great engineers behind it. I got the Yeti 400, (2) lite-a-life 350 lights, (1) lighthouse 250 and the 12v to 8mm car charger cable. My thinking is this will provide campsite light, charging for the kids stuff, cameras, iPads, phones, etc. We will charge as we drive, we aren't boon docking so solar isn't super important at the moment. My plan is to lash the 400 under the bench seat and run the charger wire underneath the drivers seat for charging.

Tomorrow I plan to finish up the trailer wiring. We have a fishing trip planned for the family on Sunday and I want to tow the UTV.

Kgorman

Observer
I just checked up. Looks like RBComponents wall skins, benches and some other goodies shipped today. The insulation from impact3d shipped yesterday, and Cole shipped my van hammock setup today as well. Looks like next week is going to be busy after our fishing trip.

I have less than 30 days to get the van sleep able for our big trip, so I have to stay on it!

tookstar154

Observer
L-track on floor is in. Daughter is helping.

View attachment 309892

I like what you did with your L-Track. are your screws going into the actual metal floor of the van at all, or just the stock flooring? Putting a floor in my van starting next week, and deciding whether to drill through the floor and mount the L-track with a through bolt and nut, or just screw into the floor.

Kgorman

Observer
The crew versions of the van come stock with a thin wood/composite wood floor with a pretty nice rubber mat top.

I drilled right through the mat into the wood with the screws I posted above. I used an impact driver and didn't pre drill. The impact driver (Bosch pS41) maxes at 930in//lbs, so I got the screws in that neighborhood.

Last edited:

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
You will be very happy with the yeti 400. I have the 150 and it is awesome!

Why not go for a boulder 30 panel and throw it on the roof and keep it off your charging system? Personal prefrence I guess.

Nice work so far

Kgorman

Observer
Thx for the encouragements!

I do see the wisdom is the solar setup, especially when the van is parked. Good suggestion, I will add that to the want list!

Trailer wiring is done. I ended up going completely different in my wiring than the etrailer how to video. I wanted to route the power inside, not drill holes for wiring hangers and ground connections. I will post up more in a few days. Right now I am loading up for the fishing trip tomorrow! I'll post a pic or two with the rig/trailer setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke