LR3 rock crawling carnage

zelatore

Explorer
We all know the LR3 is a heavy bugger. Even more so when armored and loaded with camping gear.

Over the weekend I ran Deer Valley from highway 4 up to the top (it's closed on past this and you can't run all the way up to 88 currently). On the way back down I had my first real mechanical failure on this rig - I snapped the eye off the bottom of my right front strut. This then allowed the strut to fall down through the remaining hole in the A arm and put the truck right down on the tire. Bumpstops? Yeah...they don't help much when they're integral to the part that is now sitting on the ground!

We eventually hacked a work-around that let me roll on down the trail to an opening then had to leave the truck there until I could return the next morning with a spare I had back at my house. I've had plenty of suspension issues, but they were always computer related. This is the first time I've heard of anybody actually breaking a strut. FWIW, this was an Arnott (Bilstien) that was less than a year old and had perhaps 6000 miles on it. I checked the other side and don't see any signs of cracking around the eye but my faith in it is not great.

Man, I really should just buy an RRC for crawling.

For those not familiar with Deer Valley, it's rated as 'difficult' and 'not for stock vehicles; serious rock obstacles; lift and lockers recommended'

Photos from the trip taken by one of the other guys:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VF85V2FqVklVRnlaU185Mzc3Sjg1aXd5Rmp4N29R

And here's the busted strut after getting it home:

Ray_G

Explorer
Damn Don...that's impressive. Credit where its due, you are using the truck as intended but as you noted, I'm glad I have the D1 for trail abuse!
r
Ray

mpinco

Expedition Leader
First, nice pics.

Second, I'm sure Bilstien would like that strut back for failure analysis. Six thousand miles is not much. I've read of Bilstien failures on stock 4WD systems. Thanks for the warning!

unseenone

Explorer
Luckily for me, Arnott were "off the market" for some unexplained reason (they would not explain why) when I needed struts, a few months ago. I ended up ordering OEM ones. First such failure I've ever run across. They are quite a bargain though. Hopefully you've got some old ones to hold you until you get it sorted out.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For those not familiar with Deer Valley, it's rated as 'difficult' and 'not for stock vehicles; serious rock obstacles; lift and lockers recommended'

That's a righteous trail! Bummer about the breakdown, but kudo's for the run!

zelatore

Explorer
Yes, I kept the stock parts I removed early this year and just put one of those back on. Agreed that the Arnotts are much cheaper than OEM, and I believe Bilstien actually makes the OEM damper anyway (?). Regardless, I wouldn't have expected this from Bilstien but then again I've never used their products for off-road use before, only street vehicles.

This might be an opportunity. I need to research and see if LR4 or RRS struts are firmer/stiffer valved than the LR3 stuff. If so, I'd swap them over since I'm chronically under-damped.

zelatore

Explorer
That's a righteous trail! Bummer about the breakdown, but kudo's for the run!

The real kicker is we got a stock RRC on some $100 Craigslist Cooper ATs up the trail, air suspension and all! It took some careful spotting and rock stacking, and he did take a few hits to the diffs and rockers as well as peeling the useless tail light guards and one rear bumper end cap off, but he totally rocked. Even had the rig loaded to the gills with camping gear, his wife, and his two daughters.

pgoodrich

Observer
Arnott has lifetime warranty right? Hope they cover it. Awesome pictures and glad you are using the LR3. Will have to check out that trail sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
The bummer is I thought I bought the strut from AB but looking through my receipts yesterday I couldn't find it. I'll have to do a bit more digging when I get back home again.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Excellent pics and a great trip!!!

I never really thought about it, but that strut is actually the shock/air-spring/bump-stop and chassis connections all in one assembly?

zelatore

Explorer
OK, found it - Shockwarehouse was the vendor. They're sending me a call tag for the broken part and warrantying it.

zelatore

Explorer
Excellent pics and a great trip!!!

I never really thought about it, but that strut is actually the shock/air-spring/bump-stop and chassis connections all in one assembly?

Yes it pretty much does everything. It's not quite like a fwd car strut where the strut also acts as the upper locating link, but without it you pretty much aren't moving. :)

dsm02c

Adventurer
Incredible, as you said, not the common LR suspension failure... I won't if anybody will ever release a coil over for these trucks...

Glad to see you made it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior