Laminated double pane window panel blanks.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I am looking into building some of my own windows for my camper build. I called a local place about providing made to order panels and to my surprise the price wasn't crazy. For starters I am wanting to build a large tilt open vent window that will sit on the roof over the bed. I want to build it to look and function like a typical RV roof vent but have a glass panel built into it and be much bigger. I priced a 2'x5' panel with 1/8" thick glass and a total thickness of 1/2" for $189. They can also provide shapes which is good because I will need a couple that are triangular that will act solely as fixed portals. I have a 1" wall thickness on the roof structure so the 1/2" thick blanks will fit well within my walls and I will build frames to house them and seal them into the frames.

Does anyone see any issue with this?

What is the best product to seal them into an aluminum frame. Especially the window on the roof that will be exposed directly to rain. I would think some type of silicone is best to allow some give. Maybe something like this ?

http://www.ellsworth.com/products/b...Rqb1NC5TT26wkIYLlAv20XmxxQkXFHfVykBoCGPfw_wcB

Or maybe this is a better choice?

https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/s...S--nb8En7VMNlLOezmIMLhoC8BHw_wcB#.Vgqex9JVhBc

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Use urethane glass sealant/adhesive. Try to find one that is UV resistant, otherwise you will have to prime the edge of the glass to keep UV from hitting the adhesive. This is why windshields are painted black around the outside edge.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I like the idea.... but...

Running dual panes, Im assuming you are planning on cold weather camping?

If so, keep in mind that the glass, over your BED will condense a good deal of moisture, and has the potential to turn into a shower during extended outings.

I really wanted to add a window or even a hatch over the bead area of my custom camper, but didnt for this simple reason. That, and potential leaks that would literally, ruin your night :coffee:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Was thinking of an insulated snap in mat to cover the window for those situations. Built properly and sealed well to the frame, I don't see a possibility for leaking

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
I've used the Sika product on boat windows for many years - no problems.

IdaSHO brings up a good point - even on double pane you can get a lot of ice build-up if you don't ventilate the interior well - then when the interior is heated the ice thaws & drips. Unless your " insulated snap in mat" has a drain or is a reservoir that water is going to end up on your bed. He knows what he's talking about.

I've got Motion Windows double pane in mine & they are really expensive - the material separating & sealing the panes is not at all the same stuff in my house double panes. My point is house grade double panes might not be up to the vibration, shocks & violent temperature swings in a rough road vehicle install. By all means experiment & let us know if they still work in 5 years. Also please give us a link to the window supplier - if they hold up they would be a great resource. Moe

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Residential home grade windows should do fine vertically, for wall windows.

I wouldnt trust them for ceiling skylights or ports.

And Ive found time and time again, if it uses a gasket or seal, or sealant, it ALWAYS has the potential for leaking.
Even factory made dual panes break the seal between the panes, often. Its only a matter of time.

And being right over the bed, I refuse to take such a chance. Even if is slight.

javajoe79

Fabricator
These are all good points guys. I suppose I could build the panel without the window for now and see how the wall windows do in cold conditions.

supertramp2011

Important and advice if you want to install new double pane windows for your home, be sure to the most suitable material which is kind of aluminum and must be completely sealed to avoid moisture and is excellent for your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz