Why are there not more MK III expo rigs on here?

Hound

Sheepdog
With prices becoming more reasonable, I'm curious why I don't see more MK III RR builds here.

Is there any added desirability for earlier BMW power plant examples vs the later Jag?

I have some seat time in a MK III and it seems like a magnificent expo platform. Having said that, I have no idea if they are plagued by some of the reliability issues commonly associated with older Rovers.

What drove me to post was that I have the opportunity to pick up a well cared for MK III for not a lot of $ and I figured I would solicit some insight from the collective experience here. Any and all pertinent info is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derel1cte

Adventurer
With prices becoming more reasonable, I'm curious why I don't see more MK III RR builds here.

Is there any added desirability for earlier BMW power plant examples vs the later Jag?

I have some seat time in a MK III and it seems like a magnificent expo platform. Having said that, I have no idea if they are plagued by some of the reliability issues commonly associated with older Rovers.

What drove me to post was that I have the opportunity to pick up a well cared for MK III for not a lot of $ and I figured I would solicit some insight from the collective experience here. Any and all pertinent info is welcome.

People usually refer to it as the L322, not MK III. There are a couple of them floating around in these forums.

The early BMW models are WAYYY less desirable than the later Jag 4.4 and 5.0 engines. The Jags have proven to be bullet proof. BMW did their best to continue the legacy of unreliable rovers.

Hound

Sheepdog
People usually refer to it as the L322, not MK III. There are a couple of them floating around in these forums.

The early BMW models are WAYYY less desirable than the later Jag 4.4 and 5.0 engines. The Jags have proven to be bullet proof. BMW did their best to continue the legacy of unreliable rovers.

That surprises me to hear that; I have had good experience with BMW motor reliability and general build quality.

Thanks for chiming in.

99Discovery

Adventurer
I've owned the BMW M62 in my 540i. It's a high performance motor, not designed at ALL for expedition work. It had a liquid cooled alternator (I believe the Rover V8 raised it, if not it's at the bottom of the motor), plastic chain guides which can jump a tooth at 100k, HORRIBLE cooling system (due to environmentally friendly plastics) which make the D1/D2 cooling systems seem divinely inspired. It blows up at 80k. Every forum told me it would. I didn't believe them. My upper radiator hose gave up the ghost at 80mph at 88k miles....That was a fun freeway exit, luckily an offramp was within a quarter mile. Easy to work on, but it was a maintenance pig. It requires a lot of love. And with the air suspension on the L322 requiring most of your maintenance money, you don't have the time to worry about the motor. Honestly, with maintenance I love the M62. I'd consider it for a lot of CAR projects, but I can't recommend it for dirty work.

The Jag is supposed to be as bulletproof as a rover motor ever is/was.

Now why aren't they expedition built yet? Jag-motored units are only recently becoming available for under $20k. Most are still in the $20s with the 2011 and later pushing $40k. Excellent vehicles, but most of the builds were by more affluent members of the community and rarely did they do serious work because of the cost. I'm thinking of doing an L322 build. Probably an '08. Still waiting for the prices to drop. My target date is 2-3 years out for a purchase.

Aftermarket also hurts them. Once you realize you'll have to fab your own armor while LR3 stuff is available (plus LR3s are much cheaper for the car itself), it becomes very hard to justify an L322.

I still want one. Best car we've tried for my wife's bad back. It even out performed the newer plat formed LR-4 during our tests.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You have to set your location in the preferences. Otherwise the forum defaults to Australia, and orients the photos so they can see them.
Darn it. That was a new shirt too. Now it's got coffee stains all over it from laughing hard and snorting it out my nose!

99Discovery

Adventurer
Dsliver, can you tell me what kind of tires you run on that L322?

My Disco could use some, that traction you have is simply gravity-defying!

XJLI

Adventurer
I'd love to pick up a blown-motor BMW L322, swap all of the guts out to a LSX/4L80E, throw 60s under it, and toss 37s under it. Would be bad ***.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Dsliver, can you tell me what kind of tires you run on that L322?

My Disco could use some, that traction you have is simply gravity-defying!

Probably the same tires used at goodwood.

141435325541.11.jpg

A.J.M

Explorer
Not really derailed.

The question was answered.

People don't use them due to lack of aftermarket parts, plus the higher initial purchase price.
No real choice for under body armour, front and back bumpers, snorkels, lift kits, wheel choices etc.
The market isn't there for it. Even Lucky8's L322 project has stalled out.

If you want something, it will have to be custom made at a vast cost.

People wanting to build a rig. Buy a Discovery. Vastly better supply for parts and aftermarket bolt on gear.

Why sink mid 20s into a Jag engined L322 then have to make up your own unproven gear for it, at great cost, when for mid teens, you can get a Jag engined Disco and use the change to bring it up to scratch mechanically and add a lot of bolt on gear already proven to be useful and work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94