Tikka tactical

Dalko43

Explorer
The Tika you are looking at is a decent rifle out of the box. I would also advise looking at its rifles chambered in 260 and/or 6.5 creedmoor. Depending on your local terrain, those flatter shooting cartridges may make more sense for your applications. Also those calibers have very low recoil, even compared to something mild like the 308.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The Tika you are looking at is a decent rifle out of the box. I would also advise looking at its rifles chambered in 260 and/or 6.5 creedmoor. Depending on your local terrain, those flatter shooting cartridges may make more sense for your applications. Also those calibers have very low recoil, even compared to something mild like the 308.

Also worth considering is a Savage 270 with the extended barrel.

F5driver

Adventurer
I looked at the Rem 260 and I agree. Much better ballistics than the 308. But ammo choices are limited and much more expensive than the 308. Given that, we'll keep our hunting shots within 300 yards and train, relatively inexpensivly, out to 500yrds.

Dalko43

Explorer
I looked at the Rem 260 and I agree. Much better ballistics than the 308. But ammo choices are limited and much more expensive than the 308. Given that, we'll keep our hunting shots within 300 yards and train, relatively inexpensivly, out to 500yrds.

Honestly, I'm huge fan of 308 myself...I was only throwing out the cartridges in case you were looking for alternatives.

For your applications though, 308 is more than adequate. 308 has a rainbow-like trajectory compared to some of the other calibers, so you'll have to be solid on your fundamentals when shooting at 500 yards and beyond. As you noted though, it is available in great abundance and usually at a good price.

The recoil is mild, but can certainly be mitigated with a suppressor or muzzle brake. I've never owned a Tika, but I've heard plenty of good things about them being reliable and good rifles out of the box (which means a lot nowadays with some of the less-than-stellar firearms that are coming off the factory floor).

All-in-all a pretty solid choice given your intended usage.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I hate the .308 cartridge.. It totally sucks, completely inaccurate and totally anemic. Couldn't kill a fly with one at point blank.. :smilies27

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I keep hearing the name Tikka more and more.
Sounds like good things!
Need to put them on the list to check out at SHOT.

ohv

Observer
Waiting for a vortex to ship from Amazon killer deal now a waiting game till its back in stock. Two sets of rings....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
These are very highly regarded up in the Yukon.

Everyone gets it in 30/06 (legal minimum for bison) or 300wm.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior