$wheel Camper access steps?

XJINTX

Explorer
Sorry for new post but I found no good results with my limited search abilities :( I was informed yesterday my Hawk would be delivered two weeks early :) and I can't wait... meets a deadline I have for already trip I had planned and thought I'd be tenting.

I've seen pictures of setups and it seems a lot of you just use a small step ladder for ease of access. I am wondering what you think about receiver type step(s) for access? Please I am open to ideas and need to pick something up!!! My wife says I'm to old to jump out ;)

Desertdave

I knew from experience that sometimes the ground makes a ladder or step stool unstable or at an improper height. I also knew that trying to match the rise and run of each step would be beneficial. I lucked out having a used drop hitch that provided a strong place to weld the two lower steps to. The top step is at the bumper height, I made up something to span the spot in the center above the license plate. I ended up with three ten inch wide, six inch deep steps, each dropping about nine inches.

I flip the receiver steps over from travel.

brian90744

American Trekker
Etrailer.com sells Brophy RV Scissor Steps - 4 Steps - Aluminum - 24" Wide - 31" to 39" Tall - 300 lbs for $219. I use these on my camper because I'm getting older.

Attachments

• steps2.jpg
    steps2.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
And if you have a dog the Pet Step folding ramp is another solution for humans and their four legged friends.
http://www.petstep.com

hbLcLIp.jpg

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
i made these for a buddy of mine.. he was complaining on the lack of steps as well..
[ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443746653.743964.jpgATTACH]307542[/ATTACH]

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443746645.126215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443746645.126215.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Etrailer.com sells Brophy RV Scissor Steps - 4 Steps - Aluminum - 24" Wide - 31" to 39" Tall - 300 lbs for $219. I use these on my camper because I'm getting older.

Yeah ditto on the Brophy's. I'm going on 15 yrs with these. We've got more storage room to accommodate them.

Lighthawk

We use one like this. It's heavier and more expensive than other options but it's also well made, stays in place, and feels more like steps than a ladder. I feel it's much safer than other options especially if your older, have bad knees, and/or have kids. It's marketed under a couple of different names.

http://www.toolup.com/Little-Giant-10310B-Little-Jumbo-Safety-Ladder-with-Bar-and-Tray-3-Step

We use a very similar step ladder and I agree that it provides a degree of safety. I also find I can use the step ladder for loading kayaks, so there's more utility.
But storage is important. When I bought my Hawk, the previous owner was just carrying the ladder loose inside the camper. That would never do for off roading, so I figured out a way to attach it to the rear steps on the camper. Works great for us!

_MG_7802-M.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles