ROOF RACK IDEAS

david.lemke

Adventurer
I HAVE A HIGH TOP ON MY CAMPER VAN THAT I INSTALLED OVER THE SUMMER, NOW I WANT TO PUT A ROOF RACK UP TO HOLD SOLAR PANELS AND OFF ROAD LIGHTS, I HAVE DONE ALOT OF SEARCHING AND AM COMEING UP WITH NOTHING, HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A ROOF RACK ON A FIBERGLASS TOP??????
ANY INFO OR PICS WOULD BE GREAT AS THIS IS MY FALL PROJECT AND WOULD LIKE TO GET IT DONE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, BELOW IS A PIC OF THE TOP ON MY CAMPER VAN

THANKS IN ADVANCE

0803151802.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
ARB rack on a fiberglass shell, not mine. Fiberglass is fiberglass. Make sure the top can handle the weight, distribute the mounting points, seal the penetrations well, and use good hardware (I use stainless). I have had one rack on a fiberglass shell for 17 years with no leaks and a lot of weight on it. Ten years on another truck shell with no leaks and no problems.
photo 3.jpg
photo 1.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
For you, its less about the top being fiberglass and more about the shape of the fiberglass top. If all you want is some lights and solar panels, then the weight isn't a problem, provided you spread the load out evenly. Just use wide foot pads with rubber padding, inside and out and use your preferred brand of caulking to fill in around the mounting bolts to make it all water tight and you should be good to go.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Isn't most of the rack made from 80/20 standard parts? $1700 will but a lot of 80/20 and fittings.

Brian

Yes, 80/20 material. The corners are pretty labor intensive, rack comes with mounting feet, plates and all of the hardware.

600_corners.JPG

Box Rocket

speaking of 80/20 material used on roof racks...Prinsu Design Studio builds some great racks using 80/20. I have one on my Land Cruiser and it's fantastic. Other than fasteners it's 100% aluminum so it's super lightweight but very strong. The price is really nice too at just under $900 for the one I have on my FZJ80
http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/
here's a few shots of mine

The OP would likely need to do something custom to work on top of the van but maybe this give some ideas for what can be done.

drewactual

Adventurer
rackandsolar.jpg

mine.jpg

plantingrax.jpg

it's made by diamondrax, and custom cut for my rig.. I went with two racks- one with forward angled stop, and no back stop, and one with no front stop and a vertical back stop.. works good- and it can hod some serious weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior