2002 Montero Sport HVAC Question

RobH7

Got in the Montero today for the first time in 3 weeks. When I turned on the heat a really bad "dead animal" smell came out of all the vents and fan was making a rubbing sound that I had not heard before. I am a novice when it comes to working on vehicles. Where would the best place be to start looking in order to remove whatever is left of the smell? Would also like to prevent future issues if any one has any suggestions? Wonder what and how got to where it got and then expired? Went ahead and drove her today for about 4 hours on the farm with the heat on, fan off and the windows down in order to have some fresh air. Periodically turned on the fan to see if the noise and/or smell was getting any better; no such luck. Good news is she ran great otherwise! Many Thanks for any and all advice, Rob

Mudrunner

Adventurer
You should be able to look under the passenger side of the dash and see the screws, nuts or whatever holds the fan in and just undo those to pull it and see what died in there. Just FYI you may never get rid of that smell with out replacing any and all foam bits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94