2000 Mercury Mountaineer Build

mounty71

Observer
Ceramic coated my old headers and installed them again, hoping to have better luck with them and the heat they put off.

I have shock hoops 95% completed and am working on the cross brace over the engine now.

Waiting on my second pair of shocks so I used both coilovers to build off of.

Trying something a little different for the cross brace.

Not totally sure I like it as much as I thought I would but we'll see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martell06

Observer
I've been dreaming of building the same rig. Nice work! Where in SF are you? I'd love to check it out in person

mounty71

Observer
Thanks, actually I live in Oakland now but the truck is down in Santa Cruz for now. My goal right now is to get it finished enough to take on a trip mid-late April. Who knows whether I'll actually make that, but I do know that once it's on the road I'll be driving and enjoying it a lot.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Thanks, actually I live in Oakland now but the truck is down in Santa Cruz for now. My goal right now is to get it finished enough to take on a trip mid-late April. Who knows whether I'll actually make that, but I do know that once it's on the road I'll be driving and enjoying it a lot.

It will never get finished staying out till 2am..........partying..........lololol

mounty71

Observer
Sat the truck down on the ground yesterday finally! A couple of weeks ago I redid the cross brace in a simpler design. Yesterday I finished plating in the bump stops and mounted limit straps on one side, and I'll do the other side today.

I'm not sure I have the optimal spring rates right now, or at least spring lengths. The uppers are so short with weight on them that there's barely any room for the slider stops, so just driving around town I will probably be hitting them. But I'll drive it around before making any changes. Also the overall width is a little narrower now with the stock Bronco wheels unfortunately.

Tires fit perfectly under the fenders

mounty71

Observer
Thought I'd report back in here, the TTB Mountaineer is pretty much complete for now. Took it for its maiden voyage on the Rubicon from Tahoe to the springs. Helluva way to test out a project this big, but had a blast. Broke a D44 outer shaft right before getting to camp at the springs and a hub went bad at the very end of the trail. Figuring out what I want to do as far as shafts go long term, but for now a friend has a D44 front end he's letting me steal parts from.
6c120e512ba42694cbd1e8b91972381b.jpg
efab65bd8f406aca5f026d033ac424b7.jpg
eb08609bfa61432504752143b886f1b0.jpg
e15878b1e0f4000e62cc990e314fc064.jpg
47c178e9c125ff6614cf567485ec866e.jpg
a4f9e9c0b2ca74cf2ef3dd8032ed9254.jpg

mounty71

Observer
That's Photobucket, not you. Any pictures anywhere on the internet hosted by them up until a couple of months ago don't work anymore unless the account owner pays $400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94