Smittybilt Arctic 52qt Fridge, anyone have one?

tarditi

Explorer
Looks fine to me - fire it up and see how it performs. Addie does look concerned about future downsizing...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The great part is how well it fits in the Jeep. Addie could always ride in the back seat area, with one of those dog blankets, or the seats folded down.
The baskets and radiation plates will need to be watched for scratches/wear through the paint. I don't recognize the compressor, but that doesn't mean much, as I only have the Dometic to compare with. AC adapter is 4A output, so it doesn't seem to draw a lot of amps.
I'd fire it up, and run it for a week in Freezer mode with some food in it. See how it does. If it keeps everything frozen, and runs economically it should be fine.

JCDriller

Adventurer
The great part is how well it fits in the Jeep. Addie could always ride in the back seat area, with one of those dog blankets, or the seats folded down.
The baskets and radiation plates will need to be watched for scratches/wear through the paint. I don't recognize the compressor, but that doesn't mean much, as I only have the Dometic to compare with. AC adapter is 4A output, so it doesn't seem to draw a lot of amps.
I'd fire it up, and run it for a week in Freezer mode with some food in it. See how it does. If it keeps everything frozen, and runs economically it should be fine.

Addie's already got a custom platform she rides around on when off-roading since the back is always so full of gear.

FFA33974-3D4B-4751-8144-FDCA0804C31D_zpsvjged0el.jpg

I'll keep my eye on the metal liner and basket for corrosion. If I start seeing something I'll hit it with rustolium right away.

The compressor is the same danfoss unit found in the indel B, BD35F. Apparently danfoss is now SECOP. it's clearly the same fridge with minor differences.

Reactions: JTM

Timgco

Adventurer
Addie's already got a custom platform she rides around on when off-roading since the back is always so full of gear.

FFA33974-3D4B-4751-8144-FDCA0804C31D_zpsvjged0el.jpg

I'll keep my eye on the metal liner and basket for corrosion. If I start seeing something I'll hit it with rustolium right away.

The compressor is the same danfoss unit found in the indel B, BD35F. Apparently danfoss is now SECOP. it's clearly the same fridge with minor differences.

I did have the ARB fridge 4 years ago. It spent more time in my office and "thought" I wouldn't use it any longer. So I'm checking into this fridge as I type.

Love that platform and the drawer system. So I don't hijack this thread, could you point me the right direction.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great fridge, mischief optional...

I totally forgot about the Addie/Camp... table. :beer:
Fridge looks great. I have a small cooler with the external AC/DC power supply. I use it to precool in the house, load up from, then put it in the car.
So maybe not such a big deal for it to be external. If used at a cabin, or in a trailer, auto switching would be nice.
I'd probably start by modifying the latch so Addie can open it, and bring you guys cold sodas while driving down the trail.
If you can train her to bring up the sandwiches without eating them first, let me know how you do it.
I'm not sure Super-Mutt could be trusted with just a soda, let alone a sandwich...
Mischief in a fur coat. :elkgrin:

Attachments

• Sasquatch-Rated-Dog.jpg
    Sasquatch-Rated-Dog.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 49

JCDriller

Adventurer
Scott, what a great looking dog! One of Addie's litter mate was long hair, very similar coat. Also like the use of the adventure badge!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Scott, what a great looking dog! One of Addie's litter mate was long hair, very similar coat. Also like the use of the adventure badge!

Matches his feet. lol

So I borrowed another of your great ideas with the way you form fitted the top to your box. Still working on the whole thing, but wanted to say thanks for the great pictures. Spurred me on to do it "right". :beer:

JCDriller

Adventurer
Matches his feet. lol

So I borrowed another of your great ideas with the way you form fitted the top to your box. Still working on the whole thing, but wanted to say thanks for the great pictures. Spurred me on to do it "right". :beer:

Fantastic! I can already tell you that I'll be doing a V2 some day, too many ideas for improvement. Like you I'd love to do it out of Aluminum, I can MIG steel pretty well, but I need to get a spool gun and start practicing welding aluminum. I'm still looking forward to the photos.

This weekend I hope to get the power ran back there. I'm doing 8ga 12vdc wire, 50a relay near the battery, terminating in the cargo area with a Blue Sea 6 fuse block. The fridge cable is going to receive a Blue Sea locking 12v plug. I'll be installing one locking marine 12v outlet on the drivers side for the fridge, vertical on top of the trim, then using your layout one locking marine 12v and USB on the passengers side.

Last edited:

VIIIFe

Bit of an old bump, but how is the fridge working out? I have an ARB 50qt that won't fit in my FJ once I wrap up the storage build, and I am interested in one of these Smittybilts. Amazon reviews are limited but poor, and I haven't seen many other posts about this fridge. Would love to hear about your long term experiences.

Also, is the rear handle removable? I think the listed 22" depth excludes the handles, but unlike the TruckFridge/Indel B, you can't leave the front handle off on this one since it houses the controls. I couldn't find any pictures showing the back handle, but Smittybilt's product PDF shows the depth of the fridge at closer to 27+" compared to all of the other product listings showing 22".

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior