Quick trip big bend Texas

coastalcop

Every year a few buddies get together opening weekend to hunt in the Amistad area of Del rio ( bow hunting). This year I was able to get away a couple of days early.

I left wed around noon and got to Del Rio. Took a look around and said, " heck it's only a couple hundred more miles to Alpine" so off I went.

I've ridden this area a bit on dual sports, own a few acres on the Terlingua ranch ( you aren't missing anything but solitude " and wanted some easy/light exploring in the Xterra ( traveling solo with no backup)

Spent the night at " the lost Alaskan" in Alpine. Great place for RV and have several tent camp spots. Great showers and restrooms and a good group of folks that live/run the place. Slept in my Minnebago ( the X makes a great camper if you follow a couple of tips) the bed is a "full" size 6" memory foam number from Amazon. Pull the cooler, push the seats forward and unfold and it will comfortably fit me 6'3" ish 190 and another friend if you have one to take. Gonna carve it a little for to sit a little flatter on the edges but it worked great for the 5 nights I slept on it.

Thursday I was up and ready to go. Onward out why 90 to Marfa for my first leg of the trip. You are getting into the perfect visiting time for this region, highs in the 70-80s lows in the 50-60s.

1st stop was fuel and coffee, that done it was into Marfa to pick up 2180 Pinto Canyon Road.

This road is a good primer for all things fun in BiG Bend. A little over 50 miles it joins hwy 90 and 170 (river road). It's paved for a little over 20 miles and has LOTS of wildlife to see in the mornings (dove, quail, snakes, spiders, javelina) etc. Only saw one other soul the entirety of the road (Border Patrol).

Didn't take a lot of pics but here are a couple From the trip at the bottom.

After pinto canyon ( which runs through the pinto canyon ranch it was onward to river road where I tried a roof top tent...... Had too much drag so I had to ditch it. If you haven't driven the river. Road you owe it to yourself to see it once. Runs from Candelaria to study butte and is some of the prettiest scenery in this part of the country.

You will drive by Big Bend State Park (BBSP is making lots of improvements in the area) Lajitas, "passing wind" ( where you find a schooner and mocked up conning tower from a sub in the middle of the desert, past Terlingua and to 118 at study butte.

Go right and you are on the short path to Big Bend National Park. Left takes you back to Alpine and more exploring .

I ran out of time and had to head back to Del rio. But will be back a few times this year. That area can really recharge your batteries

For some reason ( probably equipment smarter than operator) I can't post the pics throughout the trip report. Sorry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

coastalcop

yep, kept ice pretty well, like the latches much more than other offerings, Heavy for size though (like the Yeti). Got it during a special sale at Home Depot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94