E-van rear shocks

WUzombies

Adventurer
What sort of black magic do you use to remove the top mount of the rear shocks? Is there an animal sacrifice involved? Seriously, MG might need to check my measurements, but there is 0.00025" of room to hold a wrench above the mount.

Is there a special trick I don't know? Does it involve child labor for their small hands?

Somehow I was able to do this while replacing the coils on the front end today: image.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
If I recall correctly, I used an open end wrench and clamped on the shock tube itself. This is a point of no return as the shock tube got messed up as I was turning it. The wrench on top stayed locked against the body or the frame.

I did this a couple of years ago and I don't remember the act details. I'll be doing this again before Christmas as I am afraid the Monroes I installed are shot.

Grngiant

Adventurer
If I recall correctly, I used an open end wrench and clamped on the shock tube itself. This is a point of no return as the shock tube got messed up as I was turning it. The wrench on top stayed locked against the body or the frame.

I did this a couple of years ago and I don't remember the act details. I'll be doing this again before Christmas as I am afraid the Monroes I installed are shot.

What he said. Combination wrench on the nut. Turn the shock body itself. A strap wrench or chain wrench might be a big help.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Strap wrench ****** (for the win). A ratcheting wrench on top makes it even easier/quicker/less bloody.

BTW (by the way) I went with KYB Gas-A-Just and love them.

FYI year model helps a ton when you post

Sea.Jay

Observer
Strap wrench ****** (for the win). A ratcheting wrench on top makes it even easier/quicker/less bloody.

BTW (by the way) I went with KYB Gas-A-Just and love them.

FYI year model helps a ton when you post

Awh man, you won't tell us what FYI means as well?

WUzombies

Adventurer
Former Youth International, which is odd but true as I became old somehow along the way.

I thought the rear suspension was functionally the same from '92-08-ish with the only major changes being the leaf springs and that only between the 150, 250 and 350?

jblaze5779

Observer
I drilled a hole through the shock body. Placed a combo wrench on the top nut and a bar through the holes. Then turned the bar. Guess a strap wrench would have been better but I had previously broken mine trying to loosen an oil filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz