gas vs diesel

punisher1130

Adventurer
Ok I am curious about this but first let me say I'm a mechanic on both gas and diesel fields so I know the pros and cons of both and there best fitment in the world. How ever I am new to the expedition world and I have hear this argument all over the 4x4 world and it seems to be a stale mate. Since I'm more into going off grid and exploring more then climbing rocks or playing in mud I was hoping for the wheelers who have driven both on expeditions and can shine some light on which would be best in the expedition world (generally speaking not specific terrain) in the sense of range on a tank ( how far you can get before having to stop and turn back), performance overland, reliability to get you out and home again safely. I know there is a feed on here similar to this but its asking about something different and not really asking or getting answers I am looking for, so any opinions or intell anyone?

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
I prefer diesel, generally speaking more reliable and better fuel economy. If your are a mechanic that works on both then you should know the differences in fuel economy and which engines are reliable or not. Some people like to make the "expedition world" out to be much more then it is. There is nothing special about having a reliable vehicle to go exploring with, make sure your stuff is in good condition, your have a good spare tire or two, you fix the known weak links with your vehicle and presto, you got your expo rig, now just throw in the stuff you need to camp.

Gooseberry

Explorer
I like my diesel and range it gives me. Last trip it was giving 16 mpg and just over 700 miles before I wanted to fill up. It's just a point of comfort when you travel off the main roads and not sure when you can fill up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
After reading your first sentance, I can't see why you started this thread. I'm not sure what magic answer you're looking for if you already have the knowledge to come to your own conclusion.

Obviously diesel wins at fuel range, but at increased initial cost and some places diesel is significantly more expensive than gas. Reliability is really dependent on which vehicle you are talking about; diesel engine should last longer, but many of the 2007 and beyond engines have issues due to all the emissions crap that was added in 2007 and 2010. I prefer diesel for the added fuel economy and power. The torque available is amazing, the full size trucks are rapidly approaching 1000 ft/lb mark stock.

punisher1130

Adventurer
After reading your first sentance, I can't see why you started this thread. I'm not sure what magic answer you're looking for if you already have the knowledge to come to your own conclusion.

As I said in my post, I am new to the off road world and I was curious to see the comparison between the 2, not looking for a magical answer just to get a view between the 2 outside of what I do know.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Ok so from what it sounds like so far diesel seem to come out on top when off road just like they do on road but it also seem I may have worded things wrong and what I am asking is being missed. The reason I ask and aimed my question more to the expedition end of off-road is because, unless I'm misunderstanding something, overland wheeling can have a little mix of all types of off road so I was thinking if there is a difference between the 2 running in a mixed environment that would tip the balance on which would be better or would it be more or less equal and ultimately boils back down to personal preference like it does on other more specific wheeling forum.

GR8ADV

Explorer
The reason I ask and aimed my question more to the expedition end of off-road is because, unless I'm misunderstanding something, overland wheeling can have a little mix of all types of off road so I was thinking if there is a difference between the 2 running in a mixed environment that would tip the balance on which would be better or would it be more or less equal and ultimately boils back down to personal preference like it does on other more specific wheeling forum.
ok then

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
In the US gasoline is available pretty much everywhere, such that the range advantage of diesel doesn't mean much when the added purchase cost and fuel cost of diesel is factored in. In some other parts of the world the range advantage is much more important.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I would think common sense should answer your own question....

Common sense to me would say diesel is better, and so far that seems to be true but I have been wrong before and thought I would ask out of curiosity and yes because I am a newbie to this and seek info to better my knowledge of everything off road even if it is something my cut says and is right, rather have it confirmed then to assume.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'll be the oddball and say that I prefer a gas motor, hands down. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to repair. Fuel is available all over the world and on almost every street corner in North America. New gas motors will last longer than any normal person would ever keep a truck and do so reliably.

Most gas engines will do what you want, when you want, with out the penalty of the "omg I have to have a diesel" expense.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Ok so from what it sounds like so far diesel seem to come out on top when off road just like they do on road but it also seem I may have worded things wrong and what I am asking is being missed. The reason I ask and aimed my question more to the expedition end of off-road is because, unless I'm misunderstanding something, overland wheeling can have a little mix of all types of off road so I was thinking if there is a difference between the 2 running in a mixed environment that would tip the balance on which would be better or would it be more or less equal and ultimately boils back down to personal preference like it does on other more specific wheeling forum.
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

D

Deleted member 9101

Common sense to me would say diesel is better, and so far that seems to be true but I have been wrong before and thought I would ask out of curiosity and yes because I am a newbie to this and seek info to better my knowledge of everything off road even if it is something my cut says and is right, rather have it confirmed then to assume.

It's the internet, don't even try to understand why people treat you in a particular manner.

punisher1130

Adventurer
It's the internet, don't even try to understand why people treat you in a particular manner.

I get treated the same more or less in person, I'm use to it at this point but ill deal with the crap given if it means I can get the answers I seek to better my knowledge on things, stupid questions or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier