Under bed mounted water tank/vs jerry cans

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I have a 2nd gen tacoma and was wondering if anybody could offer any insight on mounting a water tank where the spare tire is? Looking up there it looks like there is a ton of room and I'm thinking I may be able to fit the pump in the large storage space by the tailgate on the drivers side of the truck. Originally I had planned to make the water tank part of my modular/removable sleeping platform and drawer system but it would be really nice to be able to utilize more room as storage space.

I'm also debating whether I even want to go the onboard tank/pump route or if I want to just buy a couple jerry cans and a small stainless bug sprayer.

The way I see it the jerry cans and sprayer are simple and are basically fail proof. They're also more convenient in the sense that they can be taken places to be filled up and moved around. Also of one breaks there are still several more.

The onboard water obviously has the cool factor as well as the ability to make better use of space but at the cost of complexity, I also think it would be harder to fill. A lot of the campgrounds I camp at are "primitive" with no access to a hose, maybe a large sink, and I don't want to rely on drafting from a river.

It almost sounds like jerry cans are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarditi

Explorer
The tank is a cool idea to take it with you, but a hassle to fill up if you have to filter/treat beforehand.

Cans are always more portable, but certainly not as slick as OBW - especially if you have a pump and heat exchanger for showering, etc.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
It really depends on how often you need that much water. If this is a full time, often used, trail/camping rig, then I say go for the OBW. If its only a part timer, the cans and sprayer are the better bet.

The thing about any vehicle modification is that you need to determine if you really need that modification or not, otherwise, you may just be adding un-needed complexity to your rig. Don't forget, you need to be able to properly care for an OBW system, or you may und up using it only once and then wishing you didn't have it.

If you're just wanting to better utilize unused space, consider making that area into just a storage box with topside access through the bed. Then, if you want a less permanent OBW system, you can drop a temp tank in there with a small hand pump, like on a sprayer, and then remove when you don't need it, or go with your cans. Either way, it seems like a better idea for what you're wanting.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I think I may start out with the jerry cans and sprayer. The trucks going to be used a lot but far from full time and maintenance and upkeep was one of the things I was worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
One other tradeoff is where the weight is located. I carry 12gallons in a fixed tank - that's right at 100lbs. Nice to have that low and centrally located.

I believe that the RV people have discovered that water left sitting in a tank goes all funky if left unused long enough. Seems to me that it will be a lot easier to clean and even sterilize jerry cans. Just a thought . . .

Regards
John

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a big PVC tank on the roof rack of my truck, and it does go funky if left for a long time. Before a trip, I fill the tank most of the way with a fresh load of water and a little bleach, drive around to clean everything, then drain the bleach/water into a few buckets, with a quick rinse of the tank. Let the buckets sit a few days to dissipate the chlorine and then use that stuff to water plants. Low CG is good, but rack mount eliminates the need for a pump. For me, jerry cans take up too much space inside the truck.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I believe that the RV people have discovered that water left sitting in a tank goes all funky if left unused long enough. Seems to me that it will be a lot easier to clean and even sterilize jerry cans. Just a thought . . .

Two things:

1) Funk depends a bit on the material. My tank is ABS and seems to resist fun much better than the polyethylene tanks. I use a cap-full of bleach w/ every tank and the normal driving from home to destination is always more than enough agitation to oxygenate the water so it doesn't smell. I leave my tank full because it constitutes part of my emergency water supply (Earthquake and Fire country).

2) Even with a mounted tank, draining for maintenance (or in my case because I'm fiddling with some other aspect of the system) is straightforward. I have a drain valve that goes to a normal hose bib. It gravity drains giving some time (not much head pressure), or I can hook up a pump to the bib and pull the water out in <4 mins.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My tank is ABS and seems to resist fun much better than the polyethylene tanks.
I think the problem with polyethylene tanks (aside from strength) is that they let light through the walls and that lets stuff grow inside the tank. If you use PVC, be sure to paint the outside to protect it from ozone and UV degradation. Paint also keeps it opaque so that light does not get through.

I leave my tank full because it constitutes part of my emergency water supply (Earthquake and Fire country).
I used to do that but stopped because it seems that the weight of the water caused the suspension to take on a somewhat permanent list (cured it with new springs and air bags). My rooftop water load is about 150 pounds, plus another 40 pounds inside the bed. Doesn't seem like much, but that is added to all the other stuff that stays in the truck, and there is a certain amount of leverage associated with having a lot of weight up high and on the edge of the roof.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I like the mounted tanks for the pressurized water. I have a frontrunner water tank that would probably work great behind your seat if you didn't want to mount it under the truck. only takes up 3.5" of space.

How do you guys keep your tank from freezing in the winter? I've got a frontrunner water tank in my JKU living in San Diego it's not much concern, but I'll be moving to the midwest soon... Now when trying to "winterize", I can't seem to get the water out to the lines with my Surflow pump alone. Once it gets low I get a gurgle but it doesn't clear the lines. I'm thinking about putting a valve stem in the lid and adding a few PSI of pressure to help push water out. Anyone try this?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
How do you guys keep your tank from freezing in the winter?
I'm in So Cal, so freezing is not usually much of an issue. An advantage of the rackmount tank is that I can winterize it by draining a gallon or so to make space for expansion. If it freezes, nothing should break.

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
That Front Runner JK tank is awesome. Great idea. I'm always concerned about putting a water tank on my roof rack due to CG issues. It seems like it would be super convenient though. I generally do not drive in places where CG is a huge concern, but have on more than one occasion gotten into situations where it became something to consider. Also living in the Central/Northern Rocky Mountain area makes freezing a concern for far more of the year. How do you drain that front runner tank? Is it wired up with a pump?

ab1985

Explorer
Good thoughts in this thread. Sounds like a lot of it boils down to the individual and their specific situation/use.

javajoe79

Fabricator
What might be wrong with an aluminum tank? I want to build mine a custom size and shape to maximize space and fit under my camper box, on the truck frame where the spare used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior