2007 FG cruise control project.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Proof of life photos - v0.5 of the PCB.

So far the only modification I have had to make is the addition of a separate power 12V to 5V power supply, as the one onboard the arduino was not capable of pushing enough current to drive the relays. (the Nano is supposed to be able to drive about 0.5A and I was only using about 0.37 so theoretically it should have worked)

This version has fairly big buttons (with a nice tactile feel to them) and 20x4 LCD display. Future versions could be quite a bit smaller, but I like having the LCDs to give me feedback on how things are working at this phase of the project.

all assemblies
Cruise 0.5 - all assemblies.jpg

'set' button depressed
Cruise 0.5 - set button.jpg

master switch. The cruise is in circuit when 2 relays are energized, so this is my 'fail safe' - turning the switch off de-energizes the relays and the cruise output drops out of the throttle control circuit.
Cruise 0.5 - master switch.jpg

add on power supply ($6 on amazon)
Cruise 0.5 - power suppply.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
not sure where all of the issues are coming from with the scribd.com link (assuming that is what everyone is referring to), It opened right up for me.

pugslyyy

It tells me it needs to be published in order to open, maybe cause I am in Canada lol

Really strange - I've tried all kinds of ways to make it fail and it works every time. even clearing everything and VPN from Russia still works.

boostin

Adventurer
Really strange - I've tried all kinds of ways to make it fail and it works every time. even clearing everything and VPN from Russia still works.

Yah no work for me still, I would post a screen shot of what it says but I dint know how to post from a phone and am never near a computer

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I'm following and very interested also. Please put me on the list if there is one, if you get this working. Great job!

j

pugslyyy

... an update on the remote start / lock / unlock / window up - I bit the bullet and obtained one of the handheld programmers which allows much greater flexibility in programming the remote start and IMHO it is definitely worth it. Remote start systems are generally targeted for gasoline powered cars, and but the programmer makes it much easier to adapt to the longer cranking / harder starting diesels (especially cold starts).

I have it now set to turn ignition on for 30 seconds (to allow glow plugs) and then crank for up to 4 seconds (while looking for a voltage spike over 0.5 seconds that will indicate engine start), then rinse-and-repeat up to 3 times.

Since I don't have a pass-through, the idea of being able to start the truck while I am still in the camper and get it all nice and warmed up is certainly appealing. Also, the more practical aspect of setting it to automatically start every 3 hours during extreme cold is also nice.

boostin

Adventurer
... an update on the remote start / lock / unlojck / window up - I bit the bullet and obtained one of the handheld programmers which allows much greater flexibility in programming the remote start and IMHO it is definitely worth it. Remote start systems are generally targeted for gasoline powered cars, and but the programmer makes it much easier to adapt to the longer cranking / harder starting diesels (especially cold starts).

I have it now set to turn ignition on for 30 seconds (to allow glow plugs) and then crank for up to 4 seconds (while looking for a voltage spike over 0.5 seconds that will indicate engine start), then rinse-and-repeat up to 3 times.

Since I don't have a pass-through, the idea of being able to start the truck while I am still in the camper and get it all nice and warmed up is certainly appealing. Also, the more practical aspect of setting it to automatically start every 3 hours during extreme cold is also nice.

Which one did you buy

pugslyyy

I'm in the DEI ecosystem, so their Bitwriter. The remote start hardware is the Avital 4000 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boostin

Adventurer
I'm in the DEI ecosystem, so their Bitwriter. The remote start hardware is the Avital 4000 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok neat, this is all very new to me, I have never ever done a remote start before do I don't even know what a bit writer is lol.

I still wish I could access those instructions for the installation

pugslyyy

Ok neat, this is all very new to me, I have never ever done a remote start before do I don't even know what a bit writer is lol.

I still wish I could access those instructions for the installation

the Bitwriter is just the programmer that DEI has you use for their pro-install systems.

You can access maybe 25% of the programming function without it, and after trying it that way I decided I needed the real-deal programmer.

I already have a couple of other vehicles in the queue for remote start / etc upgrades so the ease of programming will pay off I'm pretty sure.

This past week the project has been to get my P38 ready for a jaunt to Moab. In testing yesterday I broke a front CV so we swapped in a replacement front axle today and all seems good.

boostin

Adventurer
Yah no work for me still, I would post a screen shot of what it says but I dint know how to post from a phone and am never near a computer

Still tryng to open this ha. I was only trying on my phone before, so i finally tried to do it on a computer, i can't get it to open in Chrome, but i can in Internet Explorer. But even though i have a account i can't down download it out or open it to make it bigger so i can read it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior