2007 FG cruise control project.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
the photo showing the two orange 3d prints is also a good example of how fabrication is an iterative process. The guy who printed these for me did 2 because he wasn't pleased with the way the first one came out. I've learned that the worst problem in a design is often that it came out exactly how you told the machine to do it... instead of how you wanted. :)

pugslyyy

12207329_10102953339261359_1520627710_o.jpg

the next gen of the cruise control PCB has landed, but I'm out of time before heading to the outer banks to work on it so it will be 10 days or so before the next status update.

I'm very, very happy with the way the remote start and other convenience features are working. Got it dialed in this week.

Ignition on, 15 second delay and then crank. If it doesn't start then another 15 second delay before cranking again - more than enough time for the glow plugs to cycle.

dtruzinski

Explorer
We all have our hobbies (i.e. work that we like to do but can't make any money at). I got away from the hands on stuff for a while but have now found my way back to it - careerwise I ended up in management running big teams / organizations - which meant that I lived in meetings all day every day. Ugh. Turns out that I like making **** a lot more than sitting in meetings - go figure.

While you may not retire on this, I would certainly be willing to purchase one of your finished products. Remote start & cruise control on a older Fuso would nearly make it the perfect vehicle! Are you also thinking about an idle shutdown timer function? What the heck, one can dream.

pugslyyy

While you may not retire on this, I would certainly be willing to purchase one of your finished products. Remote start & cruise control on a older Fuso would nearly make it the perfect vehicle! Are you also thinking about an idle shutdown timer function? What the heck, one can dream.

Not thinking about an idle shutdown timer, but am thinking about a turbo cooldown timer.

pugslyyy

How does your remote start work with a manual transmission?

I have to make sure I leave the truck in neutral or the truck won't start. The Fuso (or at least mine) has a neutral interlock that won't allow the starter to engage unless the transmission is in neutral.

My remote start monitors the clutch and brake pedal to make sure neither are pressed while it is controlling the ignition and starter circuits.

That means nobody can "drive off" with the remote start - you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position or the engine will cut off when you tap the clutch or brake.

boostin

Adventurer
I have to make sure I leave the truck in neutral or the truck won't start. The Fuso (or at least mine) has a neutral interlock that won't allow the starter to engage unless the transmission is in neutral.

My remote start monitors the clutch and brake pedal to make sure neither are pressed while it is controlling the ignition and starter circuits.

That means nobody can "drive off" with the remote start - you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position or the engine will cut off when you tap the clutch or brake.

First of all waiting patiently for the update on the cruise control.

Secondly, I am curious how you wired the remote start, I actually bought the same one

pugslyyy

First of all waiting patiently for the update on the cruise control.

Secondly, I am curious how you wired the remote start, I actually bought the same one

The cruise is on hold - I have the new PCB but haven't done anything with it. My Dad has been in the hospital and now rehab, and taking care of him has really cut into my play time.

For the remote start I found it easiest to take all the passenger side lower dash covers off - it actually comes off pretty easy and there is plenty of room to install the black boxes in there. I tapped into ECU input lines (crank, neutral), the fuse panel (high current ignition on and always on), the relays in front of the ECU (brake light). I couldn't figure a convenient place to tap the horn so ended up taking the steering column apart and splicing there.

I used the remote start the other night to start and run the truck up to temperature - the automatic shutoff timer on the remote start is really nice for that function, I can just start it and leave it knowing that it is going to shut itself off after half an hour (or whatever you set it for)

https://www.scribd.com/doc/291098162/fuso-remote-start

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I couldn't figure a convenient place to tap the horn so ended up taking the steering column apart and splicing there.

When I wired up my air horns I had the same issue and ended up doing exactly as you have done. What do they say about great minds??? ;)

boostin

Adventurer
The cruise is on hold - I have the new PCB but haven't done anything with it. My Dad has been in the hospital and now rehab, and taking care of him has really cut into my play time.

For the remote start I found it easiest to take all the passenger side lower dash covers off - it actually comes off pretty easy and there is plenty of room to install the black boxes in there. I tapped into ECU input lines (crank, neutral), the fuse panel (high current ignition on and always on), the relays in front of the ECU (brake light). I couldn't figure a convenient place to tap the horn so ended up taking the steering column apart and splicing there.

I used the remote start the other night to start and run the truck up to temperature - the automatic shutoff timer on the remote start is really nice for that function, I can just start it and leave it knowing that it is going to shut itself off after half an hour (or whatever you set it for)

https://www.scribd.com/doc/291098162/fuso-remote-start

I tried to use your link but it would not let me

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Personally, I won't normally sign up to website just to view something. To view your document that is necessary. :(

boostin

Adventurer
I just got my remote start and am excited to get started but was hoping for some instructions :)

Also did you need that bit writer to get it adjusted for the diesel glow plugs?

pugslyyy

I just got my remote start and am excited to get started but was hoping for some instructions :)

Also did you need that bit writer to get it adjusted for the diesel glow plugs?

Nope. You can make some adjustments without the bit writer. I set mine to turn ignition on for 15 seconds before it attempts to crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior