Nerf Bars

I am planning to purchase nerf bars for my 2009 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab. I am eyeing a Westin Signature 3 Inch side steps that I saw online. Is this a good brand? Or shall I go for a Smittybilt?

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Won't hold up to rock's or highlift for recovery. Take measurements and see if Trail Gear's slider's will work.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most nerf bars are junk that do more harm than good, measure the length you need and order the Trail Gear slider kit that is closest.

tarditi

Explorer
what do you want them for? show? steps? sliders?

Smitty and westin are about the same... they sell a lot of product because they are not terribly expensive - use them for sliders and you'll tear up the bars and your rocker panels...

Bushwacker Inc.

Supporting Sponsor
Our sister company, LUND, has this style if you're interested. (I know they're on a Sierra, but this is just for example)

http://lundinternational.com/products/lund/nerf+bars/step+rails+multi-fit+boards#.Vha9PPlVhBc\

These aren't rock sliders, but nerf bars (e.g. side steps).

- Andy

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
use them for sliders and you'll tear up the bars and your rocker panels...
Nerf steps are not sliders, but they usually work just fine as nerf steps. The problem with the current SmittyBilt stuff is that it is crap, with thin walls, sloppy welds, and horrible finish. Most of it seems to be made in China. I have one set of Smitty nerfs that have been on a truck since 1998 and have taken a lot of abuse, including lifting the truck with a Hi-Lift (GMC K1500 Extended Cab). Those were built before TransAmerican acquired Smitty and sent production to China. I had another newer set on a different truck that were toast within the first couple of years, rusting out from the inside. They are long gone, not even good as steps.

Or shall I go for a Smittybilt?
No.

Good advice here in my opinion. I would go with sliders with steps built in if you can. The protection they offer is important. Ditto on the Smittybilt armor. I personally would not trust cheap Chinese sliders to protect my vehicle. If you can afford it, buy good quality stuff and buy once. Or go the custom route and have them make you exactly what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior