Large capacity water tank ideas

Petrolburner

Explorer
I'd like to add a water storage tank for my upcoming trip to Baja. I'd like it to be drinkable, but will also use it for washing. It would also serve as a traction aid in the snow for my 2WD van. I'm looking at a vertical mount 40 gallon tank like this one.

658280574680.jpg

http://www.tanksforless.com/p/9821/ace-roto-mold-40-gallon-poly-water-tank-a-vt0040-18

Any ideas how to secure something of this shape in the right rear corner of my EB E350? I like the vertical mount because it would take up the least floor space. It would be gravity fed with a simple tap and hose off the bottom. The large hole on top would make it easy to get in there with a brush and scrub every now and then. 40x9=360 pounds when totally full.

If anyone has any links to a reasonably priced water tank that would be easier to secure to the floor, I'm interested.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd use seat belts to secure it to brackets shaped to match (wood blocks).

You could likely also mount a 40ish galon tank between the frame rails, behind the axle, where cut away vans have a fuel tank... It'd be harder to clean/access, but wouldn't take up any floor space, and would keep the COG low.

Paddy

Adventurer
I like stainless for drinking water. Beer kegs can offer cheap 15 gal vessels. Stainless won't allow algae and other flora to exist, and keeps taste fresher than plastic IMO.

simple

Adventurer
The shape and location of that tank make it more difficult to mount safely. It also may change the handling characteristics of your vehicle located in the far back corner. Have you considered using 2 smaller rectangular tanks?

BigC

Observer
I don't really have any great ideas on tanks for you, but as far as attachment goes, I would do a couple of low profile floor tabs on the outside of it to keep the base from sliding around and then just use something like plumbers tape to run a single strap around it to your support member in the back corner. What's the wall structure like back there?

simple

Adventurer
I don't know what your layout is but a couple of these might fit nice along the sides in front of the wheel wells.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5657/15-gallon-marine-water-holding-tank-94-1627wh

Regarding the tall 40 gallon tank. If it's full and you get in a wreck, 360lbs is a lot of mass to try to hold down by attaching to sheet metal body supports and floor. Think seat belts holding a large person in place.

I think a proper mount would be a large steel plate through bolted at the floor cross members that is welded to a triangulated heavy gage steel tube cage that surrounds it. :snorkel:

desertspeed

Adventurer
I'd like to add a water storage tank for my upcoming trip to Baja. I'd like it to be drinkable, but will also use it for washing. It would also serve as a traction aid in the snow for my 2WD van. I'm looking at a vertical mount 40 gallon tank like this one.

658280574680.jpg

http://www.tanksforless.com/p/9821/ace-roto-mold-40-gallon-poly-water-tank-a-vt0040-18

Any ideas how to secure something of this shape in the right rear corner of my EB E350? I like the vertical mount because it would take up the least floor space. It would be gravity fed with a simple tap and hose off the bottom. The large hole on top would make it easy to get in there with a brush and scrub every now and then. 40x9=360 pounds when totally full.

If anyone has any links to a reasonably priced water tank that would be easier to secure to the floor, I'm interested.

Unless you are spending weeks completely away from any towns, that much water is overkill, not to mention the dangers of having something that heavy bouncing around with you inside the van in case of an accident.

Just get a couple of smaller 7 gallon Reliant containers- you can buy purified water at any store in Baja to refill them. I carry just one and have never come close to running out of water. They will be much easier to secure and use.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Putting that weight back there will help with rear axle traction, that's one of the benefits. I'm not certain of where I could put it below the floor, attached to the frame. Being that low would mean I'd have a smaller window for gravity fed use. I can't really put anything on the floor on the left side because of the rear AC/heating unit and it's associated ducting. Over on the right rear side there is some dead space behind the wheel well, near where the jack is stored.

GR8ADV

Explorer
+1 on the size issue. 40 gallons is a lot of water. But that said I have 50 in my FUSO but have a shower, two sinks and a flushing Thetford. I carried 25 in my Tacoma rig with a rarely used external shower and only an outside small tap for water. I never came close to using it all. I would possibly pose the question of size to folks in another thread and see what quantities are being used.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Why is gravity fed necessary? I know it's simpler but a dc powered RV water pump is less than $50 and they last. I added a 25 gallon under the floor of my RB E350 and secured it with long bolts and angle iron. No welding. It's plumbed with pex from Lowes so no worries about the lines freezing. The tank was about $70 shipped on EBay. For more, or HOT water you could do a home built PVC roof tube painted black. Gravity fed and could add another 10 gal or so. The one linked is pressurized but they don't have to be.

http://wheresmyofficenow.com/solar-heated-pressurized-shower/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dar395

Adventurer
Our use on the road is 3.5 gallons a day, we now are able to carry 27 gallons (for two of us) we do use solar shower bag and the is included in the 3.5 gallons.

If you stay out 12-14 days I could understand the 40 gallons, if your closer to us 3-5 days out it's overkill, the dangers of the tank being tossed about is real, but like us we only carry about 10 gallons on the road and will fill up more just before heading off road.

I do agree that an RV pump is the way to go, a solar bag on the roof for a shower is our choice, a good RV water tank runs less than a hundred bucks, and a little baking soda keeps them clean.

This would be a great thread to show amounts of water used in our daily travels on the road.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Yes 40 is a lot. It's not really based on any accurate estimates. 20 gallons might do just as well. I figure if I'm going to mount a tank, it might as well be of an adequate size to make it worthwhile.

Gravity fed isn't necessary, just KISS. I'll also have minimal time to devote to development. Lots of other irons in the fire.

philos

Explorer
Never have we run out with two adults, two kids, two dogs, and twelve gallons. We carry a spare 5 gallon container just in case though.
Agua purificada is available just about everywhere in Baja; it's as ubiquitous as the Tecate beer logo.

Lucky j

Explorer
When you say will help as traction aid in the snow, you are refering to weight I guess, juste one thing, you do not want to let that water freeze, it might really well crack the walls open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94