100 days to Ushuaia?

bernardbarbour

Observer
Has anyone attempted to make it from anywhere USA all the way to Ushuaia in 100 days? I think it would make a great reality show :ylsmoke:
220px-PanAmericanHwy.jpg
ushuaia.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We (Expeditions7) did it in FAR less than 100 Days. Total time on the road was more like 75 days (I could get an exact number from my travel journal) but many of those were spent touring or staying stationary. The South America E7 story will be in the upcoming Overland Journal. One could realistically do it in 30 days without much rallying, just on task driving. Fwiw the entire Panamerican Highway has been done in 11 days, 17 hours and 22 minutes during a record-breaking drive.

On July 13, after 11 days, 17 hours and 22 minutes of non-stop driving, renowned adventurer and off-road driver Rainer Zietlow and his team set a new world record certified by TÜV Nord Mobility for driving the length of the Pan-American Highway as they crossed the road’s end in Deadhorse, Alaska. The TDI-Panamericana Endurance Challenge team covered 14 countries and nearly 16,000 miles in a 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI® Clean Diesel SUV. Their journey to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Pan-American Highway’s establishment breaks the previous record by more than three days.
http://www.tdi-panamericana.com/

Given their record, you could do the US border to Ushuaia in under a week :D

expdshn

We drove from Durham, NC to Cuiaba, Brazil last summer in 29 days (for the World Cup!). There were some ROUGH days, we're talking waking up at 4:30 and basically driving until dark. The biggest problem was trying to hit all the borders right when they opened in the morning and timing your shipping correctly. If you look at the total distance, its about half way, so under 100 days seems totally doable.

60toyetero

Adventurer
That is what I am thinking.. a trip like this.....a year to actually experience it the right way! I enjoyed my time on the road but something I found out is that you are always planning the what is next and miss out on living the moments a lot!. The best way to do it in my opinion is with a couple of friends or couples, plan it and take your sweet time doing it. I can close my eyes and relieve the places we went and how much fun we had..... and I wish I could go back, and slow down. I am in school right now but my future travels will be to less destinations, with more time to enjoy them :)

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I enjoyed reading about Tim Cahill's adventure in his book Road Fever, in which he writes about a trip from Ushuaia to Prudhoe Bay in just under 24 days. I personally have much more interest in spending more time exploring rather than burning along for some sort of record, but it was an entertaining read.

TxEddie1111

Observer
...all good things begin with a thought.

...sounds like the beginnings of a great adventure... maybe for a group?
I'd be interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke