High Efficiency Air Conditioning Units for non-generator powered campers

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Hi Larry

We went with LG Neon blacks as they were the most efficient for the space available. Flexible panels are... a bit hit and miss. We have 4 x 100W flexible and each has been replaced in the last 12 months under warranty. I'd avoid them if possible.

I see you're in Cairns, I'm there at the moment enjoying the hot humid weather, NOT! (Our AC has been running 24/7 for the last few weeks from Solar... :)

Actually been looking at those panels today from a local dealer - can get 316w for about $260each after STC discount. Been sussing out your aircond on line as well after reading the discussion - seems like the way we will go for the price and efficiency. How much longer you in Cairns for? I'd be keen to suss out your truck if you have time - cheers

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Campo I haven't built the box yet but my design only has 5 and a half inches between, it is however a hard-sided pop top and I was thinking that I would mount it so that when it was up it would be fully exposed. I wouldn't be able to use it driving down the road.

Definitely looking at systems that regulate temperature , was in the Marine industry for a long time so looking at a company called mastervolt to build a whole system. They have already done a few Expedition vehicles in the past. But interested in any other ideas you guys might have.

I was hoping to build the system around 1400 watts of solar but the roof is only 7 Foot 6 by 14 foot and the most efficient panels that I found I can only get 1250 watts of solar to fit. I'm definitely worried about the durability of putting solar panels made for home on an expedition vehicle. Since there needs to be an air gap between the panel and the roof I'm considering having it hinge in both directions.

Will you keep the suggestions coming I know very little about all this. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
S2DM, what Daikin model of mini-split did you go with?

http://www.totalhomesupply.com/9000...=google-feed&gclid=CKCv4N6Z-MsCFRCOaQodj7gA3Q

Sorry, Daikins website is a bit confusing at times so I did a vendor link.

I took apart the compressor unit briefly and I will say it is not currently set up for bouncing around on the road. One portion of the compressor was hanging loose in a fabric bag zip tied to the top frame. It looks fairly straightforward to take it apart and tie everything down better, but I most definitely wouldnt put atleast this model in a truck and just drive. They need some modifications.

S2DM

Adventurer
Do you have to step this unit down to 120 volts? I think that it was 208-230 volts.

Thanks for getting back with me.

Yes. Another bummer of this route. I bought an outback transformer but am lured by the Victron unit, which is a few hundred more but cased with a fan and a breaker. Problem is finding an efficient transformer in the right size range (.5-1kw). Other option is another small inverter. Either way, I either need go from 12-230 or 115 to 230. Trying to figure out the most efficient way.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Some inverters can be stacked in pairs to get split-phase 120/240 output, which might be useful for running a 240v split system.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Things will get better, but today, it is hard to beat a $200 window shaker. I might be interested in trying a hard start or soft start capacitor to reduce the size of the inverter.

S2DM

Adventurer
The better splits have a soft start integral. Price wise though, you are definitely right.
Victron inverters allow split phase 230v with 2 inverters, but that's the priciest option of all. I looked into it because I liked the notion of inverter redundancy. If you lost one, you'd lose your 230, but you could still run the rest of the camper. Footprint wise, their 2000 watt inverter actually consumes more space they way I have them mounted, so it wasn't practical from an install standpoint or from a cost one. I may just stick with the $400 outback inverter until a better option comes along. Victron is apparently making a smaller 500 watt 230v inverter in the next quarter or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
Are there not that many 120 mini split units out there? It seems that way. I am assuming even going from 230 to 120 with a transformer it is still more efficient than the 120 units?

Here is one I found.
http://www.mitsubishipro.com/en/professional/products/cooling-only-systems/m-series-ac/ms-amu-a

I did a pretty exhaustive search and didn't run across a highly efficient 120v one. I don't know if it's just an industry standard thing or if there is something inherently more efficient (outside of things like cabling loss) to 230v.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

That's 600w at 110v, or 60A at 12v. (Grossly - allow some slop for inverter losses.) This is roughly what my Sharp AC consumes when the compressor is running. Typically you would have to size your inverter to allow for a starting surge of up to 5x. I use a 2800w inverter, might be able to go smaller with soft/hard start.

That part is easy. The fun comes in battery life. Assume a reasonable evening, so the compressor cycle is 50%. That gets you 30A consumed per hour. If lead acid batteries, then Peukert is going to increase that a bit. Sooooo, with a 600Ah lead acid battery bank, held to a 50% DOD, I get 300Ah/30 or about ten hours. Maybe better if I use the energy save setting, which I don't, because of noise and temperature swings.

Bottom line, this is right on the border line for overnight use, especially in warmer, more humid climes.

Solutions?

-- Bigger, lithium iron battery bank.
-- True 12v compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles