High Efficiency Air Conditioning Units for non-generator powered campers

campo

Adventurer
@S2DM
Thanks for the information. Now I understand you better. Sorry for that.
What Rig are you building ?
Remember that we dream to have your CA climate (and beaches) over here.
Some days we think it's only raining in Europe :)

campo

Adventurer
The other point is that we do not want to install anything on the roof or exterior.
It are off road vehicles.
Remember that I do not try to convince you, to copy or anything, just to transmit the philosophy of our choice.
2ekoq6u.jpg

S2DM

Adventurer
Here is our build thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141578-F550-Surf-Camper-Build-Adrift-in-the-Green-Room

Our truck is designed with the goal of being able to 4wd to remote spots, and then stay for 2-3 weeks. So, we carry lots of water (100 gallons), and have lots of solar :)

For the solar, I have a fabricated very strong mounts for them (8 per panel), and I also have armoring on the leading edge of the panel and on both of the long sides. Somewhat similar to how blissmobil has their panels recessed into the roof to provide protection. Should prevent any direct impacts on them, accepting those coming from above.

Last edited:

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
How much Wp Solar do you have ?
1200Wp on the roof and 400Wp portable using lightweight flexible panels (although those weren't deployed yesterday)
At the moment we can generate almost 10kWh/day , although it drops to around 6kWh with the shorter days during winter

I am familiar with Victron but do not use this on my own truck yet. At the time it was concepted this was not ready as it is today. So I did not install touchscreens or Color control.
The three picture trucks are all equipped with a Multiplus 3000VA and 4xGEL 220Ah.

The Victron system really is quite impressive, the VRM portal logs all that data and stores it for years so you can do some interesting analysis on PV input, AC output, Battery SoC etc over time. We have 2 x Multiplus in parallel for redundancy and 300ah @ 24v Lithium for storage. All of our cooking (induction hotplates, convection microwave, etc) and heating is powered by 240v so the redundancy it provides is important.

campo

Adventurer
View attachment 308712
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=308712&d=1444405796

Our truck is 4WD but the sheer size of it limits off road use to muddy roads and beach driving. If you can fit and power an AC unit you're probably not rock hopping... so I think the 100s of kms of corrugated outback roads are more likely to cause issues than the occasional big knocks off road.

Before we stuck the unit to the roof (literally, its glued up there) I pulled the cover off and cable tied anything that looked like it could move. The hoses between the outdoor and indoor unit are also restrained to minimise movement. The grey cover reduces dust and has a roll up zipped section to expose the fan exhaust.

The position of the condenser outside in the front on the truck !?
Was it no option to integrate it in the body and get a normal design.
Now it is a litlle bit "strange" and for me no option.
Even with the best efficiency of the world.

Last edited:

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Was it no option to integrate it in the body and get a normal design.

I'd originally planned to go with a roof top rattler as I didn't research air conditioning efficiency before finalising the camper design... so the front at the top was the only place it could go after the camper was built.

campo

Adventurer
Been chatting to a couple of truck places about air con, the Fresco 3000 was bought up as an option
http://www.webasto.com/au/markets-products/truck/air-conditioning/products/fresco-3000/

Anyone used one?

Hi Maninga
I have used them a lot, What do you want to know ?
You can use them to cool down a small volume during some hours on the 24V batteries.
That was never possible in the past, to cool on batteries because of the to high power consumption.
The Indel-B is the same as the US Webasto and the Autoclima.
It are systems for on-road vehicles. The single compressor BD350 Danfoss/Secap does not resist shocks.
You have a roof version that fits in European truck Roof shutter, a split back and a split roof.
The performance is 600 Watt and you have a boost with 950 Watt cooling.
Remember that this is just enough for this application, cools down your bed area and not a complete house.
If you use it for a big RV it wil give the same cooling result as opening the fridge door.
wlr89h.jpg

1y71hc.jpg

Maninga

Adventurer
Hi campo. Really interested in how it performs and whether it'd be capable of cooling our camper with, plus what the actual battery usage is like. This is our build and some photos of what she looks like
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/124471-FG84-Camper-Build/page14

I have been giving a lot of thought to using same setup as Shannon, and I can place outdoor unit where a spare is, but we plan on being outside aus for a few years, looking for something that works and will continue to do so. Internal space is 4.2x2.0x2.2m.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
After spending yesterday in 42c heat I think you'd want 2 or possibly even 3 of those 950W units to cool your camper. Ours was running @ 2kw for most of yesterday afternoon and from memory our insulation is a little thicker (35mm) and twice the R value of yours? That said the other campers around us just had their windows open!

campo

Adventurer
After spending yesterday in 42c heat I think you'd want 2 or possibly even 3 of those 950W units to cool your camper. Ours was running @ 2kw for most of yesterday afternoon and from memory our insulation is a little thicker (35mm) and twice the R value of yours? That said the other campers around us just had their windows open!

I do agree that for warm climates you need sufficient cooling capacity and long enough if using batteries.
Did you make the thermodynamic calculations for your RV ?
These 950 Watt cooling DC 24V units also exist in rooftop versions.
The cooltronic is a flat only 12 cm high exterior.
http://www.eberspacher.com/products/air-conditioning/cooltronic-truck-parking-coolers.html
They are built and sold as night coolers for truck drivers with relatively small sleep cabins and only 2 class A batteries 2x200Ahx12V
These 24V DC units exist also in Off road version as DURATRONIC with 3200 Watt = 10.900 BTU
http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j...HYN7kdJNu4FOlnGEg&sig2=bTLYFk36whleIsG9ggS9-A
This has nothing to do with best EE efficiency and inverter technology but with mobile heavy duty applications directly on the 24V DC and no inverter.
In fact I understand very well your stationary approach to find higher efficiency solutions. But the need for the best efficiency is for some vehicles only interesting with AC units that deliver the needed cooling capacity and units that do not break down after driving some first rounds in the bush.
Campo

campo

Adventurer
Hi campo. Really interested in how it performs and whether it'd be capable of cooling our camper with, plus what the actual battery usage is like. This is our build and some photos of what she looks like
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/124471-FG84-Camper-Build/page14

I have been giving a lot of thought to using same setup as Shannon, and I can place outdoor unit where a spare is, but we plan on being outside aus for a few years, looking for something that works and will continue to do so. Internal space is 4.2x2.0x2.2m.

Same remark for you. You can calculate it.
Probably your maximum need will be between 2000 and 2500 Watt cooling capacity when it's cooled down and you do not ventilate to much.

adam88

Explorer
Fujitsu is making the most efficient mini-splits in the US right now. They are really doing some incredible stuff.

Their newest version (AOU9RLS3H) has an A/C output of 9,000 BTU and an EER of 18. *IF* Fujitsu made a 6000 btu unit (like the one in LeishaShannon's unit) it would probably exceed 20-21 EER. But for some reason they don't (I am guessing that reason is "lack of demand").
Proof of this is Mitsibushi's Mr. Slim. They made a 6000 BTU model that was 19 EER. But now the best unit they have is a 9000 BTU model which is 16.1 EER.
The best thing about the Fujitsu unit is that it can operate down to -27 Celsius. The efficiency of course drops significantly at that level, but it can still operate if needed. This would be useful if you were plugged in somewhere in very cold weather.

S2DM

Adventurer
Fwiw, I was really planning on a fujitsu, but all of the hvac guys I talked to told me to stay away from them, citing poor longevity etc. which struck me as particularly worrisome in a camper application. Its completely a few guys opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but worth considering for something that is going to be bouncing around. I went with a daikin unit, 9000 btu, a little less efficient.

Daikin FTXS09LVJU

SEER 24.5, EER 15.3, cooling watts 590. The 590 is for continuous operation, based on square footage cooled, we figure it will only be running 25% of the time, so hoping for a real world watt consumption of less that 400. If the US does what the rest of the world has, and starts using R32 refrigerant which has a better COP than R410a, we should start to see some more efficient units available here. Daikin is already proposing it, but not in the small mini split segment for now. Their Ururu Salara has about the best EER out there, but isn't available here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94