Updated a Wyeth Scott Hand Winch last night

TravelinLight

Observer
I wrote up a post on my blog with some pictures on my recent update of my new to me seasoned Wyeth Scott hand winch.

It can be found here: http://travelinlightdormobile.com/

Here is my after photo
IMG_2978.jpg

There are several reasons I went with a hand winch instead of a vehicle mounted winch which I go through in the blog post.

TravelinLight

Observer
I have read no, they are just that a cheap knock off. I do not have personal experience in the matter though. WS hold their value, the others will not.

There are a few on ebay which are over priced in my opinion. I figure you need to replace the cable at a minimum and once you add that in and shipping you are not saving much. I would say any less than 100 is a decent deal if it has the snatch block. The originals are worth waiting for.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
In a similar vein, I completely rebuilt a Lug All hoist to use as a comealong. I put 65' of 3/16 amsteel blue synthetic line on it (wanted a long reach), made a HDPE fairlead, made a take apart aluminum handle, repainted the frame, replaced the main axle with high strength bolt, replaced hooks with loops to use with shackles, etcetera. I like that the entire unit doesn't weigh that much, since the hoist was aluminum.

Lug All Rebuild.jpg

Last edited:

NYresQ

In a similar vein, I completely rebuilt a Lug All hoist to use as a comealong. I put 65' of 3/16 amsteel blue synthetic line on it (wanted a long reach), made a HDPE fairlead, made a take apart aluminum handle, repainted the frame, replaced the main axle with high strength bolt, replaced hooks with loops to use with shackles, etcetera. I like that the entire unit doesn't weigh that much, since the hoist was aluminum.

View attachment 310278

Nice job. does it have a load rating on it? I would like something like that for work around the yard with pulling trees, logs etc.

And did you use a sleeve over the center bolt to keep the threads from chewing up the inside of the drum?

TravelinLight

Observer

View attachment 310278

Nice project, looks very good.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Thank you for the encouraging words.

I sized the grade 8 center bolt to that the bolt is solid throughout the frame, the threads start in the handle right at the nut (the nut is bottomed out on the bolt shank) so no worries about threads in the drum or the frame. I cut off the extra threads that would have hung out the end, and also machined down the head of the bolt so it is as compact as possible.

As far as a rating, the lug all was medium frame rated for three tons or 6000lbs double line (with a pulley) so single line it would be 1.5 tons or 3000 lbs, but that is it's rating for overhead lifting since it is a hoist (not a come along) so that figure has quite a bit of safety factor built in. Since my rebuilt, I have significantly altered the unit so I don't know that the factory rating means anything at this point for my unit. The 3/16 amsteel blue is probably the weakest link, which is fine by me as I would rather break the line than have the hoist break.

trae

Adventurer
I love the look of these tools, thanks for posting. When I finally get a 4x4, I'll likely get one WyethScotts, to avoid permanently hanging a 100lb on the front of the vehicle. Plus, like I said, I just love these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior