Local SAR groups

greybrick

Adventurer
I've been looking into getting our family involved in a local volunteer Search and Rescue group at some level but would like some input and thoughts from others about whether or not SAR groups provide some essential support to both recreational and policing rescue ends to help both goals. Thanks.

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I know the local SAR volunteer groups around my area are accessible by both Fire and Police when requested. They train on their own time, and generally are only activated when requested by a member of a paid service. In my county, when we have a drill involving the paid and volunteer services, the invitation always goes out to the volunteers to come and participate. And they do.

Some of the better, more organized ones, including the famous (paid) Fairfax VA Rescue get notified by FEMA to go wherever there may be a disaster.

A friend of mine trained with Ropes that Rescue, based in AZ, which is all rock climbers trained in high angle rescue, and they come out in droves to help in an event.

SAR groups are a valuable resource as they can provide a doubling, or more, of available manpower conducting a search operation. Currently, the only SAR dogs available in our area are all operated by volunteers. And when we have a search, the members come out of the woodwork. They love to help us out!

If you do join a SAR group, be prepared to spend lots of time in actual training, learning wilderness first aid, rescue techniques, search managment, etc.

So, bottom line, volunteer SAR groups are a valuable resource, just check out the history, training level, and community involvement of the group you may want to join.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I spent a few years on Colorado SAR teams. They were under the direction of the Sherriff's department.

Besides normal 'lost camper / hunter' searches, we were also used for things like evidence recovery and body recovery.

The body recovery part wasn't so great.

Overall, though, it was a fantastic experience.

RobinP

Observer
I spent quite a few years with our SAR group before moving to the city. Like you say, it was all volunteer, but really well organized. I did a lot of training - rope rescue, avalanche safety and rescue, first aid, orienteering, swift water rescue and survival, confined space rescue.

It was a great way to learn leadership skills. The group was quite close, lots of family camping trips, bbqs, etc. I went to a few SAR conferences in Washington state which were basically massive camping trips with lots of practical training and exchanging of ideas and the latest tools and techniques.

Some really great memories, even the body searches, though hard, were an invaluable experience. Were we essential? Absolutely. Without us the police would have had to bear the complete burden of the search on their own, without the manpower, without adequate training or tools.

As for family - there were a few husband/wife teams, and a few people who had their teenagers involved as well on a limited basis. I think that your idea of getting involved to grow your family while volunteering with a critical yet fun organization is excellent.

BriansFJ

Adventurer
I am active on our team (see avatar). We're all volunteer, but are aligned with the county sheriff. We provide his folks training (rapelling for SWAT, advising on missing subjects in urban areas) and he provides us with dispatching services, some equipment, additional volunteer oportunities, etc. We're also automatically dispatched for evidence searches, body recoveries, etc. and some of our members are deputy coroners to declare victims deceased when traditional coroners can't get into the mountains like we can. We do lost and missing persons, rope rescue, snow/avalanche/blizzard rescues, etc. Here's our website: www.epcsar.org. I've been doing this for about 6 years total now, and have found it very rewarding. Good luck!:rappel:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've been a member of our SAR team, and our high angle rescue team for about 11 years now. Well worth the time, but it does have its ups and downs.

...only saved one life this week...kinda slow around here. :coffeedrink:

-H-

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I was going to apply to the Coconino SAR with Hltoppr, but I'm afraid that if I answer honestly, I'll not only not get accepted, but, I'll also get some sort of scrutiny for exercising my First and Second Amendment rights.

The question?

"Do you/have you support(ed) any ideology that advocates the overthrow of the U.S. Government?"

My answer: As a Patriot of the United States, I feel that it is my duty and obligation to always remind the government that they work for me. The reason for the First Amendment is not to protect those that fling excrement upon a canvas and call it art. It is to protect me from persecution if I speak out against the government. The Second Amendment is in place specifically to protect the First amendment. I will defend The Constitution to the death if necessary including being called to arms to protect it from a tyrannical leadership.

:littlefriend:

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
I am a member of an international SAR team. Some of our members have been deployed to the recent catastrophies around the world. I think it is very rewarding and can teach you a lot of great skills. It does take up a large amount of time though. That has been my biggest drawback. Managing time with everything else that goes on in life.
I did notice you said you would like to get your family involved. That is great but are you meaning young children? I know to be a member of our group you must be a legal adult, and I would guess that many other organizations have the same restriction.

Seeker

Adventurer
I'm kinda glad I found this thread! I had a friend who was recently (Feb 22/23) pulled off the mountains above Palm Springs by chopper after spending an unplanned, cold night overlooking the desert and am looking at how to involve myself with a local SAR team here in the LA County or Orange County area as a way of giving back (since this individual doesn't appear to be interested in doing so).

What kind of skills do SAR teams look for from someone who is just coming in to their ranks? Anyone have any information on who/what to contact?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Seeker said:
I'm kinda glad I found this thread! I had a friend who was recently (Feb 22/23) pulled off the mountains above Palm Springs by chopper after spending an unplanned, cold night overlooking the desert and am looking at how to involve myself with a local SAR team here in the LA County or Orange County area as a way of giving back (since this individual doesn't appear to be interested in doing so).

What kind of skills do SAR teams look for from someone who is just coming in to their ranks? Anyone have any information on who/what to contact?

X2

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Skills required all depends on the SAR group you want to join.

Here, they just want a willing and able body, and they will give you the training.

Other places are more demanding, or have a vigorous PT test to join. I know the Maricopa Co AZ Sheriff's Office SAR group has a very demanding application process - forms to fill out, application process, background investigation, and a very demanding PT test. But they will train you in everything you would ever need, and that does require a lot of time committment.

People to contact - local Police Departments or Sheriff's Offices, or Fire Department. Most likey, your local SAR Volunteers are going to fall under their auspices.

jh504

Explorer
The qualifications depend on what kind of SAR group you are looking to join. If you are looking into wilderness SAR check out www.NASAR.org they have info on training that might be coming up in your area. Most wilderness SAR teams will require a SARTech certification which can be attained quickly and easily.
If you are talking about a team that does USAR (urban search and rescue) it will be a lot different (and more demanding). You will need technical rescue training or other professional training such as EMT/Paramedic or Rescue Technician, and so forth. The best way to find out is just to look up the teams in your area and ask lots of questions. They will be more than happy to steer you in the right direction.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Greybrick,
I commend you on your desire to join a volunteer search and rescue team. It can be quite a rewarding endeavor, but also many hours of training along with "hurry up and wait" at missions. Canada has a very robust volunteer SAR community and I'm sure you'll locate a reputable local SAR team.

I'm the Asst Group Training Officer for my wilderness SAR team (SMRG) here in Northern Virginia with about 130+ members, you can follow the link in my signature for more info on our team. SMRG responds to emergencies anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Delaware to conduct searches for missing persons or aircraft, and to carry out rescue operations in wilderness areas that require specialized equipment and techniques.

Our members receive extensive training in wilderness survival, land navigation, wilderness first aid, land/air evacuation methods, search and tracking techniques, radio communications, rescue and technical/steep angle rescue and rigging and other areas that are key to our operations. Training is conducted in both the field and the classroom, and the majority of sessions are administered at no cost to our membership.

Through our Outreach Program, we have agreements with many counties, as well as the National Park Service, to provide EMS and SAR services. We also assist race organizations be providing EMS support for their adventure races. We have teams on the Mall in Washington, D.C. providing EMS during the July 4 fireworks. Another team is deployed to the Shenandoah National Park to augment the park rangers with EMS/SAR over the July 4 weekend.

Any incident in which SMRG particpates must be under the command of a "responsible authority," generally a state, county or local law enforcement agency. After receiving notification of a wilderness emergency, the responsible authority contacts the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) if SAR resources are needed. With the broad authority to coordinate disaster management activities throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, VDEM maintains the state's emergency plans for responding to natural and technological disasters. VDEM is also the initial coordinator for wilderness search emergencies within Virginia. Other states have similar agencies which also have the authority to dispatch SAR resources.

Once VDEM is briefed on the incident, it contacts the Appalachian Search and Rescue Conference (ASRC). ASRC represents a coalition of several mid-Atlantic SAR organizations, each covering a separate area of the mid-Atlantic region. Through its member organizations, ASRC can mobilize over 400 trained volunteers in a response territory that stretches from southern Pennsylvania to the northern border of North Carolina. Based on the geography and type of incident, ASRC will dispatch some or all of its groups (including SMRG) to the scene. SMRG members, who generally follow the progress of a search from the time VDEM is notified, then assemble teams and travel to the incident location.

Once on scene, members of SMRG and other ASRC groups coordinate with law enforcement, EMS, and local volunteers to carry out the search effort. SMRG members generally work together in teams of 4-6 searchers, combing through wilderness areas in search of subjects or evidence of their wherabouts. Once located, subjects may require medical assistance and/or evacuation depending on the type of incident that has occurred. SMRG conducts both manual "carryouts" as well as assisting with helicopter-based rescues.

I searched around and found several links I thought might be helpful for you:

Directory of Canadian SAR Organization in Alberta

Search and Rescue Volunteer Association of Canada

National Criteria for Volunteer Ground SAR (Canada)

Search and Rescue Association of Alberta

Calgary Search and Rescue

Lethbridge Area Search and Rescue Association

Parkland Search and Rescue Society

Sorry the post turn out longer then I expected. Good luck on your search for a local team and if I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94