Options for Hidden Winch on 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Has anyone successfully used one of the 1500 hidden winch mount systems on a 2500? Or, do you know the differences in frame width and size? I'm hoping to be able to use the Rough Country hidden winch system. I called Rough Country, and they couldn't provide me with the exact dimensions of the assembled mounting plates. I don't have the money to go fully-custom, so hoping to use an available system in the $200 range.

Any help is appreciated!

The other option on my radar is the Westin winch tray. I like the ease and simplicity of it, but I'm not that excited about adding another foot to the front of the truck. I haven't had any issues with the approach angle in the front, but the rear bumper is hammered from tagging rocks. I also don't love the idea of the winch sitting out in the weather, and being so "visible" when the rig is parked.

aearles

Observer
Unfortunately I don't have any helpful input, just wanted to share this:

129_0903_05_z%2B2008_chevy_2500hd%2Bwarn_winch.jpg

Source: http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/129-0903-2008-chevy-2500-hd-crew-cab/photo-03.html
I don't know what the heck is going on there, but I love it!

That RC 1500 setup looks really good too, hopefully you get some better replies!

Thanks for the reply. That looks like a great setup for the rear.

I decided to go ahead and order the RC 1500 hidden system. I'm hoping I can make it work with some very minimal fabrication/modification.

KAkers

I have the mount on a 2010 half ton. I doubt it will work on a 3/4 ton but it might give you ideas on how to build one.

Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to make it work with some minimal modification and/or fabrication. I'll find out soon. If it's a no-go, I'll just return it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've only seen the Warn Ford hidden kit installed, but it looks pretty good. Your 2008 Sierra 2500HD truck shares 95% of it's frame with the '03-07 trucks, so the warn kit for those trucks (62510) might work if GM didn't change the bumper brackets that are welded to the frame. The bumper cover isn't going to fit, but you can probably make one that'll do...

You might call Warn and inquire about a kit for your newer truck. They might be on the edge of making one, and able to help, or they might not... You never know unless you call! :)

FWIW, I have an ARB bumper on the front of my truck. It sticks out quite a bit... Probably as much as the Westin tray in front of the factory bumper. I have yet to have a clearance problem with it, but I don't have much of a problem with the rear bumper/hitch either. (Short box)
Also, the tray is strong enough to actually bump something, unlike the tin factory bumper (fascia...) on the '07+ trucks...
YMMV.

Thanks 1stDeuce. Good input. I already ordered the RC system, so am hoping to make that work. I'll give Warn a call if that doesn't work out. Their 1500 system is sort of a replacement for the skid plate; pretty different from the RC system. I like the RC style, as it mounts independently of the skid plate, so I wouldn't need to drop it when doing maintenance.

There's plenty of room there on my truck. Hoping I can at least use the mounting brackets and the tray and have something fabricated easily to make it work.

I was able to make the 1500 hidden winch mount model 1080 work with some slight modification. The bumper bolts lined up with the mounting plates. I had to drill one new hole in each bracket for the 18MM tow hook bolts. I then made some 1/4" steel spacer plates for the outside of each mounting plate, as the frame width on my 2500HD was 1/2" wider than the assembled plate system. After that, it all went together pretty easily. Really happy I went this route and didn't add any additional length to the truck.

Thought I'd follow up on this for anyone searching for similar info in the future, as I never was able to find anything searching.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Id also like to see those pics. I had bought a 1500 hidden hitch for my 1500hd, according to amazon it fits. well, not quite, hung too low so I removed it.

Im probably the most casual off roader around, i wanted one of these winch cradles but couldn't decide if it would fit without actually trying it on, and after the ordeal with the hidden hitch i just decided to make one. its very simple, some channel iron, a universal/jeep mounting plate, and some 07+ 1500 tow hooks. My truck is a classic 07 (99-06 body style) but the frames are the same. I built it on the truck so it could tuck as high and close to the rad support as possible. its a bit awkward to use, I kept the upper rad support cover off.

IMG_0059_zpsgug93317.jpg

IMG_0065_zpsvh3rzoeb.jpg

IMG_0127_zpsxwwlwsim.jpg

IMG_0128_zps4zimz8hv.jpg

IMG_0066_zpswi2kahdd.jpg

IMG_0062_zpsmcvne1fs.jpg

IMG_0129_zpsl3zjwues.jpg

You get the idea... Also you can see, I just cut a hole in valence. It dosent sit more than a half inch lower than the factory tow hooks did, and maybe an inch more forward.

dressedinblack

I was able to make the 1500 hidden winch mount model 1080 work with some slight modification. The bumper bolts lined up with the mounting plates. I had to drill one new hole in each bracket for the 18MM tow hook bolts. I then made some 1/4" steel spacer plates for the outside of each mounting plate, as the frame width on my 2500HD was 1/2" wider than the assembled plate system. After that, it all went together pretty easily. Really happy I went this route and didn't add any additional length to the truck.

Thought I'd follow up on this for anyone searching for similar info in the future, as I never was able to find anything searching.
I’d love to see some pictures of your finished setup if you have any. I’m struggling with that same issue right now. Glad to hear you made it work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior