Intro and a couple questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm Andy. I'm a bit new to this section of the forum. Been on a ton! but post only ever so often. SO much good info. So many good and proper builds to take away ideas from.

I recently purchased a new '15 DCLB TRD Sport V6 4X4 w/auto trans and tow pkg. Completely stock for now except for the addition of a bed cap. Coming from the XJ world it's a whole different ballgame adding 30" of wheelbase and a bed to the ride. Some good, some... just different. I like that everything works- especially the a/c with the summer we've had in Southern CA. I haven't had it on trails too much yet due to time restrictions. But mods are sure to come at some point...

Which leads me to my first question I have for now (so many others are already answered): How do I figure out what I have under my rig (axels, u-joints, gears, etc.)? With Jeeps you could get a "Build Sheet" from Chrysler- can you do that with Toyotas? If so- how?

Also- quick disconnects for sway bars were favorable on the front of Jeeps and in a lot of cases; total removal of the rear. How does that equate to Tacos for a more overland oriented set up. Likely I'll put on a new rear suspension, but carrying a load and no sway bar seems like it wouldn't go so well in most situations. The stiffness of quality rear aftermarket springs on my Jeep had no issues...

That's what I got for now. Thanks to you all for posting good info and keeping the board friendly.

Andy

Applejack

Explorer
http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechPages/DIFFERENTIALTOYOTATECH.html

This may help you some. You can pretty much find anything you want know on the interwebs.

As for disconnecting your anti-sway bars, you will find that you will never get jeep like articulation, and the handling will be dicey on the roadways with you stock suspension. If you run coil overs with higher spring rates you can negate some of the poor handling. I ran without my front sway bar with my heavy duty old man emu set up and around town it was fine but loaded up with gear and cruising at 70 it felt a little nerve wracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior