Vashclouds GX470 minor Overland Build & Q Thread

Vashcloud

Hey guys, just recently acquired a GX470. But before I dive into it, a little about myself:

I just moved back to the pacific northwest this previous year so I can raise my daughter here. I fell in love with WA during my station at Fort Lewis for almost half a decade. After returning to the south and living in Louisiana and Texas for a while (North Carolina Appalachian native) I longed for my evergreen trees and access to all things mother nature within a couple hours drive. I am a UTI grad and certified BMW tech, I also run my own little shop called Tuner Alliance and plan to specialize in Monteros/Pajeros and the odd 4x4 vehicles most shops dont carry parts for as well as my imports and euros: Audi, BMW, Mazda rotarys, Nissans, etc. Just adjusting to NW prices, a 1500 sqft shop in texas is 400$ a month. Here its almost 2000! Ridiculous, but hopefully I find somewhere soon for a good price. Until then you can find me at Autozone as a manager, and yes I do hook up my fellow enthusiasts!

I purchased my favorite off road vehicle a Mitsubishi 2.5 gen Montero in 2013 while visiting for Christmas, and am doing a full crazy build on it. When my daughter was born, I decided to part ways with my reliable but small Subaru Impreza WRX STi hatch and jump into the cheaper yet nicer GX470. To me the best 4x4 for the buck hands down from the 90's was the Montero. And to me, now the best 4x4 hands down for the buck from the 2000's is the GX470. But Ill be honest, not really a Toyota guy. Sure I have owned a supra and know the 2jz well, but other than that, 2UZ's and all yoda's are new to me. I don't know common issues but from my research the Gx470 and the 4.7 in general seems to be bullet proof!

As this is going to be my wifes main transportation I am not going to go crazy. But I do want to do a few minor things such as:

AFE intake, ARB (or similar quality) Snorkel, a small ram bar for the front, roof rack (or rooftop tent), and wheels and tires.

Still trying to figure out what size tires I can fit stock, Looking at 285/70/17. I want to see with proper offset on rim how wide and tall I can get her on stock suspension. I want to not go overboard too because I want to focus on my Montero, that will be the truck I take to Argentina one day, The Lexus I don't plan to go further south than Mexico but all US and Canada is open. Anyone have any favorite mods or rims? Cheap upgrades from using parts off the 4runner/tacoma/FJ/tundra? Any issues I should know about? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• gx.jpg
    gx.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 55

AaronK

Explorer
Fellow 2UZ owner just across the bridge from you. Well...mine's in a Tundra but close enough. Interested to see your build!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

RobertD

These TRD PRO wheels for the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner have an 11mm offset which will bring the wheels out .9" compared to the stock wheels 30mm offset. They're my favorite wheels right now. You can also get them in matte grey too. I plan to get them for my GX470 soon. You should be able to find a Toyota dealer that will sell them for 160$ a wheel. IMO I would stick with a Toyota wheel to keep it nice and smooth and utilize the Toyota style lug nut.

I also ordered the new Bilstein 6112 front 2.65" shocks and springs off Amazon for a great price,but to get that low price I have to wait 3 months because they're on backorder. Some places have them in stock but they're 125$ more than the Amazon price.

TRD-Tuned-FJ-Cruiser-Concept-wheel.jpg

odonekanobe

Observer
I'm across the bridge from you as well. Also have a Tundra with the 2UZ plus a well built 2nd gen 4Runner. Keep us posted on the progress of your shop, always looking for reliable places. Do you do any fab work?

Vashcloud

I'm across the bridge from you as well. Also have a Tundra with the 2UZ plus a well built 2nd gen 4Runner. Keep us posted on the progress of your shop, always looking for reliable places. Do you do any fab work?

Thanks! Will do, as for fab not much. I am new to fab work and welding. However, I do have a friend in West Seattle named Johnathan who has been doing it for years. Not just vehicles but a variety of items. PM me for his number! He is going to be the one helping me design my new wannabe ARB but better front bumper for my Montero.

Vashcloud

@robert

Ya, Ive been on the look out on CL for a good set for a good price. But people seem to hold onto their stuff in the NW lol.

Riflman

Observer
Hey robert. Do you have a part number for the 6112 shocks and coils? Is it the same shocks for the 4Runner? Bilstein doesn't list the gx470

kbahus

Adventurer
Congrats on your purchase! While the Gen2.5 is a cool truck, after you get a good suspension, tires, and some armor on your GX470 you will find the Montero collecting dust in your driveway. I drank the Montero cool-aid after selling my built 80 series and, well, now I have two GX470's.

Here is a pic of the Pro Comp wheels that are on my rig, they are 17x9.

Attachments

• DSCF4352.jpg
    DSCF4352.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles