Winch

bat

Explorer
I do not use my winch very much so I spool and unspool to get the gears rolling again and move some grease around. While spooling the winch in I could not shut it off and basically ripped the hook off the rope when it hit the fairlead and did not stop until I disconnected it from the battery. I am not sure if the gears are gone and I assume the solenoid got stuck but it sure did make some noise trying to rip the winch rope. I sure wish I had some kind of kill switch for power and really glad I was not winching someone out that would have been ugly.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Sounds like you need a new control box. Probably got moisture in there and the rust make it stick in "on-retract" position. Try getting a certified water tight control box with a warranty. Even the best winch is useless with a control box that corrodes easily.

bat

Explorer
The control box is in the engine bay and I sealed it all up before install but that would be my guess also

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I pinched and cut a controller lead and had that happen on a Ramsey REP8000. You could have a a dirty stuck solenoid.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What kind of winch?

Don't care to share what kind of winch? It makes a difference in the diagnosis... For example Warn and some others use a 4 wire, 4 solenoid setup, pinched control cable runs would be very rare. Then you have models with solid state controllers versus traditional solenoids.

unseenone

Explorer
You can install an Anderson connection on the power leads for a quick disconnect. That is what I did, and I always winch with the hood UP.

mowerman

Adventurer
Winches are quite popular over here as most off roading involved mud. A lot of guys fit a safetly kill switch, usually a heavy duty switch in the positive from the battery. Also many use wireless remotes, sometimes there can be problems with frequency meaning they can run on their own. A mate had his winch run on by itself and it bent the winch bumper and destroyed the winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles