What can I do for $1000?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I've recently received a HUGE windfall of cash from a court settlement related to student loans and while the vast majority of it will be going into savings, I've still got a "spend it" bug so I'm planning on just using $1000 of it to do some work on my 1991 Ford Bronco. I've done a LOT of work on it so far so I don't really have any major projects left at this point. Here are my two major options as I see it.

1. Buy new 33" tires and wheels. The 31"s I've got still have a lot of life in them, but I've been wanting to swap to 33"s for a while now and this seems like a good oppourtunity. Plus, I can get some money back on the 31's and save some money for other projects later on.

2. Buy a bigger, better winch. Right now, I have an XRC8 (old style) winch on the front with the newer water tight control box I added after the original rusted solid after a major rain storm. With as little as I've used it before, it never bothered me with how it might be a bit underpowered, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the old maxim about "needing it and not having it" and getting the larger size.

I've also considered doing a complete suspension replacement, meaning new springs all around and new shocks.

Feel free to check out my build thread for a detailed description of what I've done so far.

Not sure how "tired" your 5.0 is but even going from 31s to 33s may affect the "drivability" just enough to really bother you. When I did almost the same thing you are considering, I ended up regearing, forcing me to reach deeper into my wallet and dropping fuel efficiency just a bit. But...it is probably the best mod I've done. I didn't see what numbers you're currently running when I looked at your build thread so this may be a moot point.

After looking at the level of your build I'm sure you're more than aware of all of this...just sayin'. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. :sombrero:

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just installed 33's on my stock 2003 F150, works great. tons of power. No need to regear or anything.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For $1000 I'd go for at least a month to Mexico. Take some time off work, really settle in and enjoy it :)

-Dan

LR Max

Local Oaf
Use it to make the vehicle reliable (if not already). Then go drive around Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and then down to Baja.

Don't be like me and my truck, spend all that time working on it, then use it for a weekend, then back into the garage for 2 more months.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would put part of it towards putting back on the stock intake with a paper filter and some grommets for the wiring where it passes through the drilled holes. Then I would have your seats replaced or reupholstered.

Have your 31's been the limiting factor for you actually going out and camping? Probably not...and you won't get anything out of 33's other than loosing money on fuel and increased breakage/wear and tear.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with a new suspension. Springs and bushings all around with new shocks once I see how the new springs ride. The springs have a mild 2 inch lift to them but with as much as I carry around, I'm not sure how the ride height will be affected. At least this way, when I get around to the new 33" tires, I'll be sure to have the vertical clearance for them. Plus I won't be scraping as much on the trails around here. I don't go out much, but I've dropped the rear bumper on boulders hidden in the mud a few times.

Besides, after a little staycation at a local hotel and driving on he roads here in Oklahoma City, I realized I NEEDED new springs. I've been on dirt trails smoother than some of the highways around here.

MikeBoyle

Observer
Get yourself a set of Bilstien 4600 shocks for it. Just installed a set of Skyjacker leveling coils and 4600's on my 95 and the ride is night and day different. The Bilstines can be hard to find (got mine through 4wheeler parts) and are often on back order, but if you can hold out for the time it takes to get them (mine took 3 months) they are worth the wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior