Round the World Adventurers

Amyrtw

Hi everyone, my husband and I have finally agreed to make some huge changes in our lifes. We are going to sell up and set off on an around the world overlanding trip next year.

We really have only just committed ourselves to this, so are right at the start of our planning.

Our current thoughts are to drive from Europe to Singapore, ship to the America’s drive south, ship to Africa and drive home

We have set up a Facebook page to document our travels, and we will also update this thread as we go.

https://www.facebook.com/RTWAdventurers

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you on the road

Amy & Richard

lrover52

Bernard
Hi Amy and Richard,

Great decision that you made!

Aside from the route, next big decision is the type of vehicle you select.

Based on my experience (travelling for 15 months in roof tents) I would suggest for a RTW trip, that you select a vehicle with a closed cabin (or a van).

Land Rovers/Cruisers are too small/cramped for a long trip. Yes, it can be done, but it's not the best way to do it :)

Amyrtw

We are planning to drive from Europe to Singapore and are just trying to work out which route to take.

We really want to go to India but also central Asia looks interesting:

So these are the three routes we are thinking of:
1) Europe, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Myanmar, SE Asia
2) Europe, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Stans, China, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Myanmar, SE Asia
3) Europe, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Stans, China, Laos, SE Asia

The concerns, questions we have are 1) Iran, Do we require a guide and how much is it? will we even be allowed in as we are British? 2) How much would China cost? From Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan or Kyrgyzstan to Laos? 3 )We have seen people crossing to Pakistan in the North but crossing the lake looks a little risky is there another way? 4) How do we cross Myanmar, I have heard of people being able to take tours, how much does it cost and who can we arrange this through?

Sorry for all the questions but any answers will really help us decide which way to go. Is anyone travelling through this region at the moment? Would be great to browse through your blogs.

Mr Rehab

Traveller
Hi Amy

Great decision. Life is for living and this is a terrific way to get out there.

My wife and I travelled Singapore to Austria over 8 mths in 2013 - best time ever. Not always easy, not always fun but every day different and usually an adventure of some sort. Our blog link below but this one by our friends has more specific info and should be more value for you: http://lost-and-found-adventures.com.
They used a RTT but said they would be better off with a camper of some sort for the next trip.

I haven't used a RTT but agree with Lrover52 - try and get yourself something with a camper body that lets you get out of the weather, gives you some privacy and where you can sit back and relax after a long day's travel. I'd choose a left hand drive vehicle if you can do it - no problem to drive a right-hand drive car on the right side of the road but left-hand drive just more practical especially in third world countries with such a chaotic mix of traffic eg buffalo carts and poor roads and driving behaviour. Also some countries like Azerbaijan and Vietnam may not allow righthand drive cars in.

Are you aware Carnets may be a significant cost for Iran and India with their 400% loading?

Can't give you any specifics on Iran as I am researching the same issues myself as we hope to be into Iran mid 2016 however....
I'm hoping to use a local agent to arrange vehicle import without the cost of a Carnet from an Automobile Association, even so cost likely to be around $800 USD. I don't expect/won't be having a guide but have read this is a requirement for US and British citizens - can't confirm this and suggest your best option for reliable info will be to contact your UK (?) Iranian Embassy or Consulate.

We tried to organise travel through Myanmar in 2013 but at that time it wasn't practical - travel was only allowed on a pre-approved route with a govt guide and staying at govt approved (owned?) hotels. That's likely to have changed by now so again look for info from the Burmese Embassy or if you can contact an agent in Myanmar.

When we travelled China we had to use NAVO, a local agent, to arrange vehicle import, Chinese driving license and carry a useless guide. Cost was $4500 USD per vehicle for 8 weeks travel. Cost will be lower if you can group up to share agent fees and keep the transit time down but China does have plenty to see. Also heard that these requirements have been relaxed and a guide no longer needed but haven't seen confirmation.

Hope this gives you a few ideas and isn't too vague. Good luck.

Last edited:

Amyrtw

We have been doing a little bit of reading and research for our rtw overlanding trip, and I thought I would share the places that have been useful for information & help. (please note these are our personal views/opinions from our experience)

First off I would say, the most rewarding part of the research has been reading other people’s blogs, they are just so inspiring and full of information and is probably the reason why we are doing this trip!!

Places to find peoples blogs

Expedition Portal - Mainly Pan American blogs, a few from other places
Overland Sphere - Probably has the most blogs from all over the world, which are searchable and can be filtered by country, there is also a list of Overland Bloggers in their Facebook group
Drive the Americas – has road tripper profiles but not many new ones
4x4overlandtravel – A UK site which has a couple of active overlanders
Horizons Unlimited – Has some but not many active 4 wheel threads

Forums and Facebook groups, both of us have found the forums to be great for information on border crossings and searching for information on our rig build, but it’s the Facebook groups that have really shined. Being able to post and almost get instant feedback and help.

Forums
Expedition Portal – Forum - Good for build research, and information for travelling the Americas, also has forum sections for other parts of the world
Overland Sphere – Forum – Some very useful information on carnets, border crossings and shipping. Not many posts but is relatively new.
Horizons Unlimited – Lots of information globally but tends to lean heavily towards motorbike riders
4x4overlandtravel – Some good information but not many posts
Drive the Americas – Forum not very active, mainly people trying to sell their vehicles.
Lonely Planet – Thorn Tree – Not Overland related but lots of good general travel information

Facebook Groups

Overland Sphere – Seems to be best overall of all the groups out there, its active and members seem to be overlanding in every part of the world Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
Overland to Asia – Some good info - not that active/not many members – Asia only
African overlanders – A lot of advertising in the forum, appears to be a guest house, few active topics, Africa only.
Drive the Americas – Facebook – not much is posted here, the Americas only
Horizons unlimited – Too many members (11000+) posting all sorts mostly motorbike related, not very good for asking for advice, information and feedback.
Pan American Travellers association – A South American travellers group, good for general travel information, and also seems to have overland content

Please let us know if there are other resources we can have a look at.

Happy travels

Amy & Richard

Amyrtw

We have been doing a little bit of reading and research for our rtw overlanding trip, and I thought I would share the places that have been useful for information & help. (please note these are our personal views/opinions from our experience)

First off I would say, the most rewarding part of the research has been reading other people’s blogs, they are just so inspiring and full of information and is probably the reason why we are doing this trip!!

Overland Sphere - Probably has the most blogs from all over the world, which are searchable and can be filtered by country, there is also a list of Overland Bloggers in their Facebook group

Forums and Facebook groups, both of us have found the forums to be great for information on border crossings and searching for information on our rig build, but it’s the Facebook groups that have really shined. Being able to post and almost get instant feedback and help.

Forums

Expedition Portal – Forum - Good for build research, information related to the Americas, but does have forum sections for other parts of the world

Overland Sphere – Forum – Some very useful information on carnets, border crossings and shipping. Not many posts but is relatively new.

Horizons Unlimited – Lots of information globally but tends to lean heavily towards motor bike riders

Drive the Americas – Forum not very active, mainly people trying to sell their vehicles.

Lonely Planet – Thorn Tree – Not Overland related but lots of good general travel information

Facebook Groups

Overland Sphere – Seems to be best overall of all the groups out there, its active and members seem to be overlanding in every part of the world Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.

Overland to Asia – Some good info - not that active/not many members – Asia only

African overlanders – A lot of advertising in the forum, appears to be a guest house, few active topics, Africa only.

Horizons unlimited – Too many members (11000+) posting all sorts mostly motorbike related, not very good for information and feedback.

Pan American Travellers association – A South American travellers group, good for general travel information, and also seems to have overland content

Please let us know if there are other resources we can have a look at

Happy travels

Amy & Richard

Ps I spent ages adding all the links to the right places, but the post went to moderation, and was never approved :-(

Amyrtw

First off I would say, the most rewarding part of the research has been reading other people's blogs, they are just so inspiring and full of information and is probably the reason why we are doing this trip!!

Forums and Facebook groups, both of us have found the forums to be great for information on border crossings and searching for information on our rig build, but it's the Facebook groups that have really shined. Being able to post and almost get instant feedback and help.

Forums
Expedition Portal – Forum - Good for build research, lots of information related to the Americas, but does have forum sections for other parts of the world
Horizons Unlimited – Lots of information globally but tends to lean heavily towards motorbike riders

Facebook Groups
Horizons unlimited – Too many members (11000+) posting all sorts mostly motorbike related, not very good for information and feedback.

Happy travels

Amy & Richard

Last edited:

Globatrol

Observer
Hi guys, Great decision to head out on the road long term - definitely worth the hassle of getting such an adventure underway! Don't get too hung up on the planning if you can help it! Obviously you need to have a pretty good idea of your expected route along with time, visa's and all of the other paperwork requirements for such a journey but it really makes a difference if you can build in a lot of flexibility... Gets easier the longer you are out there... It's really helpful if you can obtain info on the current situation regarding borders carnet's and the like from travellers whom have completed the same section recently. Not always possible I know but you can really be led astray with inaccurate advice... From my experience quite often information only a few months old is no longer applicable! Some of the best info we have found has come from other travellers along the way and hopefully going in the opposite direction... Horizons Unlimited really is a great resource for up to date info and discussion, No doubt you have had a look over there already... Well good luck with the journey- never know we might see you somewhere...
Justin and Jen www.globatrol.com

acg

Adventurer

First off I would say, the most rewarding part of the research has been reading other people's blogs, they are just so inspiring and full of information and is probably the reason why we are doing this trip!!

Forums and Facebook groups, both of us have found the forums to be great for information on border crossings and searching for information on our rig build, but it's the Facebook groups that have really shined. Being able to post and almost get instant feedback and help.

Forums
Expedition Portal – Forum - Good for build research, lots of information related to the Americas, but does have forum sections for other parts of the world

Facebook Groups

Happy travels

Amy & Richard

I had the pleasure of meeting Roy and Michelle, the Brasilian couple last week. They are passing through British Columbia, Canada and are on their way to Mongolia, China and Russia. They have already been around the world. Their book is a very interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Land-Rudnick-Michelle-Weiss/dp/1939614562
http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/the...ng-their-home-on-wheels-to-edmonton-1.2649139

You could try to reach out to them on their website and see if they can help with your questions:

http://www.mundoporterra.com.br/novidades/novembro-10-mil/

I wish you all the best with the journey of a lifetime.

Let me tell you no places on the earth as like an Africa, and traveling cost is not as costly as like other ones.we are the certified travel agency if you need some help we will glad to help you. reach us skype id - +256392177904 .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior