My 2nd Gen DCLB Build

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Well after a long time away from EXPO and from trucks, I'm back. I wanted to get into enduro riding and my boss was selling his KTM so I swiped it up. At first I thought I would buy a beater just to lug the KTM around, but my buddy a manager at a Toyota dealer informed me of a Taco that he thought I'd like. Sure enough traded my Honda in and drove away with my new to me Tacoma. I'm excited to see where this build will go. Few mods starting already, some will come quick, others will take time. All in all, it should be fun. The reason for the first mod being the snorkel was simple for me. My last build on here, a 2000 Durango, I sunk while testosterone fording some ridiculous water. I figured the $500 was worth not sinking another engine.

CURRENT PICTURE

MODIFICATIONS

Front Suspension:
OME 885 Coils
OME Nitrocharger Struts

Rear Suspension:
OME Dakar Leaf pack
OME Nitrocharger Shocks

Armor:
Factory Skid Plate

Wheels & Tires:
275/70-17 BFG KO2
17"x7" TRD Pro Gunmetal

Electrical & Lighting:
Blue Sea 12 port auxiliary fuse block
80 AMP Breaker
42" 240W Lightway Spot and Flood LED Light Bar
4- 6" 30W Lightway Flood LED Bars
OTRATTW ConturaV Switches
Carling 3 Position V Switch Holder

Comms:
Cobra 19DX IV
Firestik 4' NGP Antenna

Accessories:
PrInSu Designs Cab Rac
ARB 2000mmx2500mm Awning
IronMan4x4 Ice Cube 50L Fridge/Freezer
Front Runner Tacoma Load Bars
Tepui Autana Sky RTT with Annex

With my KTM

During the snorkel install today

Snorkel final product

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Nice truck! How hard was the snorkel install?

I wouldn't say difficult, was prepared to spend a lot of time lining things up and only cutting once. A lot of guys have had to cut the inside fender coming into the bay, which I didn't see a need for if you spend the time to ensure that it'll line up perfectly. All in all, maybe 4 hours.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Last night I was able to install my PrInSu cabrac. I love this thing. Zach is a awesome guy, you can tell he's dedicated to his customers.
I'll have to get better pictures today, but here are some garage pictures

From the front

From the side

jgpoirier

Adventurer
I ordered my lift on Oct 30th and I'm still waiting. Seriously unimpressed with my local shop. But I'm told I should be expecting it this week, if it doesn't come I'm going to ask them to give me a deal on it.

Regardless, I'm excited to have new suspension soon. I beat this piss out of mine this last summer and am possibly starting to feel some axle wrap from the worn out leafs.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
I've figured this is how I will wire my OTTRAW switches, lights, CB, with my blue sea 12 cct fuse block. Anyone see any problems with my wiring diagram? My lights are a low enough amperage that I could run them directly off the switches but I personally feel more comfortable with using the relays. Only thing I'm slightly worried/unknown about, is whether or not the climate control dimming cct can power an additional three LEDS of the switches.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Did your lift ever show?
Just arrived at their shop today so I was able to pick it up on my way home from work. So far the only things I truly pulled out of the boxes were a couple stickers, and a hat haha. Unfortunately this weekend I have a birthday party to go to in the afternoon on Saturday, so next weekend will be swap days. Super excited.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Well, today I heard a funny noise coming from the rear of my truck today, somewhat metal hitting metal clunking when going over bumps. Take a look, and sure enough I have broken a leaf and it has twisted sideways.

So these will be going on tomorrow

I'll probably do the fronts on Saturday.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Old Man Emu kit is in! The quality as everyone knows is phenomenal. I enjoyed seeing the differences between OEM and OME.

OEM Rear Passanger

OME Rear Driver

Ride height with OME rears in only

OME Front

I will have to take a picture of new overall ride height today at some point. Overall super happy with this product. Unfortunately due to the panic of swapping the rear leafs during the work week, I failed to do a before measurement of clearance.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the new ride height photos. Which springs did you go with 884/885/886?

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the new ride height photos. Which springs did you go with 884/885/886?
Work has been so busy, I leave for work when it's dark and come home in the dark. Tough to get a photo. I went with the 885 springs for now.

My biggest debate right now is tire sizes. Here's what I've narrowed down to two different options.
1) 255/85-16's on factory steel spare tire wheels.
2) 275-70-17's on my Stock Sport wheels (which I have NO attachment to).

I was planning on waiting to upgrade tires as mine have lots of tread left, but during the lift install I noticed the side walls are dry and cracked like crazy. Tires will have to be purchased sooner than later.

deeve

Observer
I gotta watch this thread. I have a KTM and Im looking for something to haul it around too! ;) Actually, I want a family adventure rig and have my eye on a Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94