VW T5 4Motion Expedition Vehicle

scottishpinz

Adventurer
After a lot of deliberation and a massive trip round Scandinavia (Denmark, Iceland, Faroe, Norway, Sweden and Finland) I decided to sell my Pinzgauer camper. It sold quickly and left me ready for a new project.

Analysis of the trips that I had carried out in the Pinzgauer showed I needed the off-road ability of the truck 0% of the time! Sure there was a 1% of the time it was nice to have and about 0.0001% of the Scandinavian trip where we would have had to go by another route, but the fact was clear, it was unnecessary to have such an off-road orientated vehicle. There was though a lot of the time I wished for something a bit faster, quieter and more economical.

A while back I had identified the Volkswagen T5 4Motion as a similarly sized platform to the Pinzgauer to build an expedition vehicle. With Haldex based four wheel drive and torquey diesel engines these vans are widely used by emergency services and utilities companies. With the launch of the T6 prices became more affordable on the out-going T5 and I was able to purchase a low milage, almost new, demonstrator.

The van is a 140PS short wheelbase Kombi which means it has a second row of seats behind the driver and passenger and windows in the middle panel and slide door.

There are so many different configurations of these vans and it was hard to know which would work best. In the end a feww key requirements were laid down and the rest was down to price and availability. So out of barn doors or tailgate this has the later, the upfront choice of twin or single passenger seat we have the single. This has the advantage of being able to pass into the back of the van easily. There is a single slide door on the left (pavement side here in UK as it is a right hand drive van) which enable permanent fixings on the wall to the right. There is of course no bulkhead behind the driver, a glazed tailgate with wash-wipe and floor already lined with a heavy duty rubber mat.

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
I had some inspiration as to final look from the VW Rockton version of the van although in reality this suffers the same compromise as the Pinzgauer in sacrificing road manners and speed in favour of mud terrain tyres and lower ratio gears.
IMG_6304.jpg
However this vehicle influenced my colour choice and I may yet get some AT or winter tyres on black steel wheels.

To date all the work is very much behind the scenes with insulation being fitted behind the panels including the roof.
IMG_6470.jpg
I have also fitted a seat swivel to the passenger seat so this can be turned through 180 to face the back of the vehicle.
IMG_6433.jpg
The plan is to have a versatile layout that allows me to switch from a passenger carrier with luggage to a camper which can still carry two bikes internally. In the back the seating is split single / double bench. The back of the double bench folds forward flat and this coupled with a platform made behind will form the bed. A removable table will be positioned between the rear single seat and the rotated front passenger seat to form the cooking and dining area. Our trusty gas stove will be carried over from the Pinzgauer.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Today started work on one of the side panels inside. The plan is to use some of the hidden space behind the panel and create some storage space.

Ran into some problems as the panel was curved more than I realised and the new panel doesn't want to curve as the inserts have made it quite rigid.

Attachments

• IMG_6545.jpg
    IMG_6545.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 62

sg1

Adventurer
Congrats on your new VW. Put some 225/75R16 AT tires and skit plates on it and you will be surprised how capable these vans are offroad. I used a Transit 4x4 (similar concept) and even with a camper cabin I could do some difficult tracks in Africa.
Stefan

Jason911

Adventurer
I concur with ihatemybike as well - having these vans here in the states would be a boon. Subscribed and following - looking forward to this build-out.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Today started work on the bed platform. The plan is to have a semi-permanent platform behind the rear seats which will act as a parcel shelf day to day hiding luggage carried beneath. The left side of this platform will fold up to allow two mountain bikes (front wheels off) to fit in. The forward part of the platform will then flip over the folded twin rear seat to form the bed platform.
IMG_6550.jpg
The steel square section tubing was joined using heavy duty push fit connectors (still avoiding welding) which seem pretty strong, I guess time will tell. The frame will be bolted in using the tie down points. I have longer bolts on order.
IMG_6552.jpg
IMG_6551.jpg
When I got it all together I felt it could do with a bit more support so I'm going to add another down piece. Tried the bike in and the fit is great. Storage for the table will be at the front of the platform and I have an idea to create a clothes store underneath accessed by a hinged section.
IMG_6553.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I love this build. Simple and effective. Count me among those who wish that van was sold state-side.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Not much progress today. I got the frame bolted in at the tie down points. Who would have thought drilling 4 holes would be so much effort but everything was against me as my cordless drill ran out of charge and my drill bit was blunt. Eventually done and with a few spacing washers underneath the frame is snug in position.
IMG_6557.jpg
The great thing about doing it like this is the tie down points are still usable.

Got the next section of side panelling cut as well. Just waiting for rivetnuts to get theses panels fitted. I'll need to leave them in a while to settle to the curve before carpeting them.
IMG_6558.jpg

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Got the first panel carpeted today with a little help from the cat!

Now discovered that because of the thickness of the carpet I will need longer bolts to attach the panels. It all takes time...

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpg
    IMG_6597.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6596.jpg
    IMG_6596.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6594.jpg
    IMG_6594.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 51

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Work continues... all the panel fastenings have been replaced with rivetnuts and neat black hex-head bolts, these also provide a secure mount for cargo D-Rings. The surrounds of the panels have been carpeted, my girlfriend made an excellent job of the carpet trim especially round the windows which was fiddly.

I have installed an interior roof cargo net for light items and although not yet fitted I have the electrics for two USB charge points and an extra power socket done.

Attachments

• IMG_6702.jpg
    IMG_6702.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6701.jpg
    IMG_6701.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6677.jpg
    IMG_6677.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 57

scottishpinz

Adventurer
IMG_6923.jpgIMG_6878.jpgIMG_6917.jpgIMG_6919.jpgMore work on the van. The sleeping platform has been made and is ready to be covered. The panel with electrics is fitted. This is where the stove and some water will be kept on hand. In the back we have a couple of hanging bags to store clothes and lots of D-Rings to attach things or secure cargo. I think we will get a Webasto diesel heater fitted as we like to get away in all seasons.

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Welcome to the VW club..
I was also in the same situation as you, had a letch over some of the VW offerings at the abentaur & allrad show and decided a van would suit our purpose better than the landrover.

We ended up with a 1.9 T5 van and took about 8 months to convert it to a camper, for us its been an ideal vehicle as it's the wife's daily driver and has taken us all over Europe, the best mod was fitting the VW cruise control option, perfect for the long drives through france. Cost £70 and only a morning to fit.

I like what you have done with the door panel, - I may rip that idea off into a winter project.;)

Regards
Gren

Last edited:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Gren

The panel was custom made, but after finding how hard it was because of the slight curve to these panels I opted for Kiravan's 'Door Store' for the sliding door insert. Great fit and when carpeted will not rattle and will match the rest of the van.

Work in progress:

Attachments

• IMG_6921.jpg
    IMG_6921.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94