XJ Power steering pump advice needed

saburai

Explorer
Hi All!
in 2012 I replaced the failed OE P.S. pump on my '99 4.0 XJ. Within a year, it started to weep fluid and slowly got worse. A few days ago, I replaced with a rebuilt unit from Advance Auto. While the "new" one doesn't leak, it's performance is sub par. Much below 1000 RPM, it provides little to no assistance. I guess that I'll be R&Ring it. Do any of you have a source for quality replacement parts? It seem that the OE parts all last 10+ years/150k and I'm lucky to get a year out of a stater or a window regulator etc. Sucks...

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I got a ACdelco PS pump for mine. Its been flawless, even being a reman. Not that expensive either. I run ATF and I have a small heat exchanger on the low pressure side. performance was there before I put the cooler on, just did that to keep it cool in the gang. Installed about two years ago

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Check into AGR for a good pump. I use one on my CJ and it turns 37" MTRs no problem and runs my hydro boost brakes at the same time. Not the cheapest option but it never failed me.

saburai

Explorer
Thanks Gents.
Are there any good new stock replacement pumps out there? I'd prefer not to spend a lot for a HP part that's not really needed. The OE pump did a fine job turning my 10.5x31's with my cautious driving style...

mtbxj87

Adventurer
You could always go to jeep and get one. Most company's offer new and remaned units, it's up to you on what you want to pay. I'd stay away from places like Oreillys or autozone for stuff like pumps.

KelticXJ

I was having this same issue and went with a PSC. A little more expensive (think it was $200) but I haven't had a problem since. It reuses the stock reservoir or you have the option to buy a new one with the pump.

F40

Adventurer
I have the same problem, using an Auto Zone pump... I recommend getting one with a resevoir, as when I did just the pump I ended up taking it apart a few times until I found the right size o-ring.

Mitch502

Explorer
I bought one for my ZJ and it never worked right. When I returned it a couple weeks later, I found out that they no longer carried ANY part from that manufacturer. I got this one from O'Reilly and its been great. Good enough to bend the steering stabilizer, and turn 285/75/16s while one a downward incline with ease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior