Straps and shackles

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have seen many snatch straps break as a result of direct pulls and broken a few (mostly pulling stumps); usually they just come apart there is little recoil before they hit the ground.
The biggest danger is from the truck, with the open throttle, yanking on the now broken strap.
Never seen a significant/sheet metal damaging, snap, like a rubber band recoil from a snatch strap.
Note; I have seen this recoil with a chain, under a steady pull, which was almost completely unexpected at the time (normally the chain just drops to the ground).
I have never seen a snatch strap break when used for rigging; probably since there is normally very little shock loading.
Be aware that the snatch straps that I have seen used were rated at 20,000 pounds or more and the majority of winches seem to be rated at 8,000 pounds and then only on the last drum wrap).
Lifting straps, tow ropes, chains and tow straps are not snatch straps and should not be used as snatch straps.
Snatch straps are NOT log chains and can be quickly ruined if used in contact with the ground (i.e. to drag logs).
Note; just because I haven't seen it, that doesn't mean it can't happen...Take appropriate safety measures.
I kept track one summer and the majority of winch pulls were less than 2,000 pounds (based on the wraps on the drum).
That said, I have pulled trailer hitches and bumpers off vehicles that did not have tow points that were badly mired in mud or high centered in snow.
Be careful!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

dp7197

Adventurer
I have never seen a snatch strap break when used for rigging; probably since there is normally very little shock loading.

Be aware that the snatch straps that I have seen used were rated at 20,000 pounds or more and the majority of winches seem to be rated at 8,000 pounds and then only on the last drum wrap).

Which begs the question - what would be one way to prevent shock loading a winch cable when assisting the winch when driving?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Which begs the question - what would be one way to prevent shock loading a winch cable when assisting the winch when driving?

Personally I have yet to run into an issue with shock loading. The way I prevent it is to simply ensure that the recovered/assisting vehicle does not exceed the speed of the winch and allow slack in the line that is subsequently taken up abruptly. It's always seemed straightforward to do this.

onetraveller

Adventurer
Assisting the winch will often result in slack in the line. It can be hard to accurately control your vehicle speed while trying to get unstuck. To avoid shock loading, avoid allowing the vehicle being recovered to roll backwards. Allowing the winch line to catch up with the stuck vehicle is fine. the easiest way to prevent this is to ask the stuck vehicle to not help, just put it in neutral and let the winch do the work. If they must help, the tires should turn at not more then idle speed in low range. If they are spinning, you are only digging a deeper hole that the winch has to pull you out of.

I'm usually more concerned about the stuck vehicle driving on top of my winch line and getting it wrapped around their axle. That can lead to a mess in a hurry.

Good recovery planning and communication is the key avoiding these types of issues.

Mike

Strizzo

Explorer
I have seen many snatch straps break as a result of direct pulls and broken a few (mostly pulling stumps); usually they just come apart there is little recoil before they hit the ground.
The biggest danger is from the truck, with the open throttle, yanking on the now broken strap.
Never seen a significant/sheet metal damaging, snap, like a rubber band recoil from a snatch strap.
Note; I have seen this recoil with a chain, under a steady pull, which was almost completely unexpected at the time (normally the chain just drops to the ground).
Lifting straps, tow ropes, chains and tow straps are not snatch straps and should not be used as snatch straps.
Snatch straps are NOT log chains and can be quickly ruined if used in contact with the ground (i.e. to drag logs).
Note; just because I haven't seen it, that doesn't mean it can't happen...Take appropriate safety measures.
I kept track one summer and the majority of winch pulls were less than 2,000 pounds (based on the wraps on the drum).
That said, I have pulled trailer hitches and bumpers off vehicles that did not have tow points that were badly mired in mud or high centered in snow.
Be careful!

Enjoy!

I seem to recall reading somewhere, probably in one of the books recommended to me by Dave and I4WDTA, that one experienced wheeler/guide carried a load scale with him and measured max loads on all the winch pulls he did one summer or year, and the vast majority of pulls were below 1/4-1/3 of winch rating.

edit: found it, it is in *The Four Wheeler's Bible* by Jim Allen

From the text:
A few years ago I purchased a line dyno. This is essentially a very high capacity scale with rings on each end that can be used to measure winch pull. I used it to measure winch pulls every chance I got and then compared my information with two other fellas with the same equipment. Based on that information, I have come to the conclusion that the average winch pull is between 2,500 and 3,500 pounds. I make no claims that this is scientific, but even situations that had the winch groaning in agony were only 3,500 pounds.

My test illustrates a point. You will see a lot of damaged and abused winch cables out there and, like me, wonder what's been keeping those people alive. It's equipment overkill. Even a thrashed 5/16" cable, originally rated for 9,000 pounds, maybe up to a third of its original capacity - or maybe not. And you never know when your winch will be called upon for a full load - and there you are holding a grenade with the pin out

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Thanx...
I should probably go back and re-read those (now dusty) oldies but goodies... (sounds like a good winter evening project to me!)
Enjoy!

ojwerks

i carry two 3/4" D-shackles, and two 1/2" D-shackles... ive found that not all the time I can use the big 3/4" shackles to attache a strap to a vehicle... so I recommend having both.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I agree, I have also found a sort length (maybe 0.5 meter) of very heavy chain with a grab hook at one end to be, occasionally, useful to give a tug to vehicles that have no tow points; there is a risk of vehicle damage though so tug gently... most stuckees don't need much to become mobile, if caught/rescued before they dig themselves deep holes...
Enjoy!

comptiger5000

Adventurer
i carry two 3/4" D-shackles, and two 1/2" D-shackles... ive found that not all the time I can use the big 3/4" shackles to attache a strap to a vehicle... so I recommend having both.

I do the same. There have been a few times where I've needed the smaller shackles (and usually been able to double them up for strength) to attach to a smaller car for a snow recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior