Straps and shackles

camper101

Observer
I'm slowly adding to my recovery setup (don't worry, it'll get lots of practice before I try a real recovery - which will hopefully never be necessary).

I've got a come-along (Wyeth More Power Puller) with Amsteel blue cable. Let's say I've got a tree strap or tow strap with built-in loops at the end.

When using a tree as an anchor, do I hook the winch's hook through the tree strap loops, or do I need to use a shackle (D-ring) to connect the ends of the tree strap -- and then hook into the shackle?

Thank you.

camper101

Observer
That makes sense. Thank you. I guess it could be hard to fit two pieces of 2-3" strap into one hook and make it secure.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Either but a shackle will make life easier.

Also I find myself using my 30ft tow strap as a tree strap more often than my actual tree strap.

LR Max

Local Oaf
We're all hoping you mean your 30-foot non-elastic tow strap . . .

You mean a kinetic rope? No. I would have said, "Kinetic Rope". However in some sort of weird and dangerous way I now wish to try this. Probably bad since strap > rope for use on trees and I like trees because they help with vehicle recovery, shade, etc.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
There are non-elastic (i.e. non-kinetic) 'tow straps,' and elastic (kinetic) 'snatch straps.' They can appear virtually identical, and people often interchange the name. I realize you know the difference but I thought it was important to specify—especially after a recovery I came upon too late on a Continental divide trip.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You mean a kinetic rope? No. I would have said, "Kinetic Rope".
I think he was differentiating between jerk/recovery straps and tow straps. A tow strap will distribute the load over the tree's surface, while a rope of any kind is likely to cut into the bark and probably damage the cambium layer. Recovery straps are kinetic and will not damage the tree, but may damage the operator or the equipment if used as a tree strap.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
If a concern is whether or not to carry a shackle; I always recommend carrying at least one (I carry 3 and regularly use 2).
They make connecting/rigging straps, snatch blocks, chains and tow pointless vehicles a lot easier.
Enjoy!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Stretchy straps can damage trees.
As the strap pulls tight, then begins to stretch can tear bark away.
Especially so in springtime when lots of liquid is between the bark and wood.
True. I was thinking about the 3" and 4" straps that I carry. Wider straps will do less damage, but you are correct.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Stretchy straps can damage trees.
Perhaps; although I have never seen it (and I have looked)... and certainly not as much as ropes, chains, or naked winch cables (about the worst)... based on the tree damage I see done by ill prepared/uncaring drivers... I use and frequently loan a 4 inch wide, non stretch lifting strap for a tree strap but it doesn't bend/roll/store real well.
To minimize the stretch and thus the winching; wrap the snatch strap around the tree several times, then secure the loops together with a shackle; flip the strap flat to the tree, center the shackle between the tree and the winch (minimizing the strap's tendency to slide) and hook to the shackle. This maximizes the winches pulling power by reducing the wraps of cable on the drum in some cases.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
No kinetic strap should ever be part of a winch system. A proper, wide, non-elastic tree saver is the only proper strap to use as an anchor around a tree.

Yes, if my life somehow depended on it and there were no alternative, I'd use a kinetic strap thusly. Otherwise, never.

Secretsponge

I carry 2 30' non elastic semi truck tow straps, I like them because they lay flat and roll up tight, easy to store (take up about a 8" x 12" x 6" space) non elastic so I can wrap around just about anything, without damage, rated at 8,750 lbs at a strait pull, so basket would be 17,000...also, they are about $20 at the 4x4 swap meet here in Washington...also carry 4 shackles everywhere, may seem unnecessary, but with 2 30' straps, and assorted lengths of chain for rigging my high lift or hand winch for pulling, its nice to have extra for shortening straps or what not.

The biggest thing I can recommend is to take an industrial rigging class, its about 6 hours long, but by the end you'll understand rigging theory a lot better, and have a better idea of what to carry with you, and what you've been doing wrong the whole time. Work put a few guys and I through it years back, use it every day.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
No kinetic strap should ever be part of a winch system.

Probably true and I don't recommend it; However, reality is often different from your should bees.
If the only strap that is available, in a non-work/non-employment environment (no OSHA) is a snatch strap I can almost guarantee that it will get used; in spite of the damage that it MIGHT cause or the risk that it MIGHT pose (most folks will be blissful in their ignorance);
I second the rigging class that Secretsponge mentioned).
BTW; people SHOULD also check for the colored damage/wear indicator threads in straps before using straps to reduce the risk of breakage.
I have never seen anyone else do so, off road, and don't expect them to change.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you have to use a snatch strap in a situation where you don't want the stretch, I would double it up, use 2 straps or use a strap far larger than it needs to be if any of those are possible to do. That'll minimize the amount of stretch that actually occurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior