Interior space comparisons with Jeep JK

rjl

Ryan
Maybe an odd request, but can any G owner who has also seen the rearmost interior space of a Jeep JK Unlimited comment as to the size comparisons between the two?

I own a JK Unlimited now that I am looking to sell soon. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of G-Class Benzes in my area so I have been unable to find one to compare myself. If I buy one, it's probably going to involve either shipping one or flying/driving, so I'd like to know before I bother if the G is any bigger, the same, or smaller.

Thanks!

tarditi

Explorer
do you want an anecdotal or empirical comparison?

Here's a thread that compares the two - I've included the measurements as well:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?399103-Jeep-Unlimited-vs-Mercedes-Gelandewagen

................................Jeep JKL.....G500

Headroom fr......................41.3.....42.2
Headroom rr......................40.4.....40.0
Hip room fr.......................55.6.....51.5
Hip room rr.......................56.7.....53.9
Leg room fr.......................41.0.....52.5
Leg room rr.......................37.2.....41.9
Shoulder room fr................55.8.....53.7
Shoulder room rr................56.8.....56.3
Front Volume.....................54.6.....44.5
Cargo Room.......................46.43....45.2
Cargo Seat Folded..............86.75....79.5

Wheelbase........................116......112.2
Track fr............................61.9.....59.6
Track rr............................61.9.....59.6
Overall Length...................173.4....185.6
Overall Width.....................73.9.....71.3
Overall Height....................72.3.....77.8
Overhang fr.......................26.7.....36.7est
Overhang rr......................30.6.....36.7est
Turning Circle....................41.2ft....43.5ft
Ground Clearance fr............10.5in....8in
Ground Clearance rr............10.1in....8in
Approach Angle..................44.4d.....worse
Departure Angle.................40.5d.....worse
Breakover Angle.................20.8d.....worse

Weight.............................4315 lbs.....5545 lbs
Engine...............................V6........... ....V8
HP...................................205hp........ .292hp
TQ...................................240lb-ft.......336lb-ft
Fuel Requirment..................Regular.........Premiu m 91 Octane
4X4 system.......................Part-time.........Full-time
Transfer Case Ratio.............4.0:1.............2.16:1
Axle Ratio..........................4.10:1...........4. 38:1
Lockers.............................Fr/Rr............Fr/Rr/Center

rjl

Ryan
Thanks. I was looking for more anecdotal evidence; numbers are easy to game.

That thread on jeepsunlimited devolved into a turd sandwich before it ever got useful.

rjl

Ryan
Thanks for the video. I can see the G can be packed with a lot. I pack the rear of my Jeep with a single 150 lb dog, and any new vehicle I get should be at least the same size if not bigger for him. On our trip camping through Colorado last month, the dog got the rear and we packed the 2nd row bench-seat with all our stuff. It was tight, but we packed light and figured it out.

This may prove to be something I'll have to see with my own eyes. I'll just be on the lookout for a G for sale in my area or any place I should happen to travel for work. The local dealership has two new ones on their lot; I have no intention on buying new and I didn't want to waste anyone's time, so that's a last resort.

rjl

Ryan
An 02 popped up for sale locally and I went to check it out this morning. In case anyone else ever has the same question, I thought I would post my thoughts here.

Regarding the rear-most interior space, from side-to-side, the G and the JK are about the same from interior body panel to interior body panel. The JK, however, also has the roll-bar, which eats up some space. My JK has the factory subwoofer back there, too, which also takes up room.

Without measuring, I would say the rear-most interior of the G has at least 6 to 8 inches more depth than the JK. The interior of the G is also significantly taller than the JK.

Driving "feel" is also different. Although relatively similar when all autos are considered, the 13-year-old G felt distinctly more "solid" than the JK; the JK feels lighter. Both of those are measureably true.

I must say that I fell in love with the G, though. I am 6' 5", so cars that feel good to most people often don't feel good to me. But the seating position and visibility in the G were great, and reminded me of my previous favorite with regard to those factors: my '94 Discovery. This particular '02 had been fairly well cared for, but I'm still reticent to buy one without knowing an entire service history. I imagine it's gone through a few window regulators by now. The front and rear diff-locks did not seem to want to engage when I put it into low range and locked the center. I have read on what problems may be there, but I would rather not undertake an immediate fix after buying a vehicle.

I am traveling for work next week, and it looks like there are a few for sale in the town I will be heading to, so I will drive others and see how they compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior