2016 Alps Interest

Kgh

Let’s go already!
We are relocating to Stuttgart, and will be up for these types of trips. Having been Belgium based, the west is pretty, and pretty flat. Looking forward to Northern, Alps, and Eastern Europe trips.

We did Alps/Lake Garda (on road) in Semptember of 2013. Highly recommend the area in Northern Italy. Weather can be iffy, we had a meter of snow come outta nowhere, made things interesting.

So much to see and do! We are hoping to hang with some Euro's and get their insider knowledge.

BCobe

Adventurer
We are relocating to Stuttgart, and will be up for these types of trips. Having been Belgium based, the west is pretty, and pretty flat. Looking forward to Northern, Alps, and Eastern Europe trips.

We did Alps/Lake Garda (on road) in Semptember of 2013. Highly recommend the area in Northern Italy. Weather can be iffy, we had a meter of snow come outta nowhere, made things interesting.

So much to see and do! We are hoping to hang with some Euro's and get their insider knowledge.

Do you have any information that would be beneficial to pass on? I do not know if anyone is interested but what does everyone think about some sort of meet-up?

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
September can be a problem as many passes / Strada's will be closed or limited in opening.

Several good campsites will close.

Trailers are not a good idea up there.

Have fun.

We'll be there again for many time..

BCobe

Adventurer
Really? I heard September was prime time to go since there is very little travelers out and about.

BCobe

Adventurer
Anyone use any sort of GPS system? I have a Garmin GPS with Europe maps but possibly looking to go the tablet route as a backup.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
I will try to monitor this thread, and see if it develops. Sounds like a nice outing.

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
Like Hunter67 stated, September is the absulut best time for the western alps. All passes, even the highest, are still open. Usually no new snow, the old snow from last year is gone, the camp sites are open, but almost empty, very few tourists. Regarding the weather (I´m doing this trips since 16 years): Have a look at my photos from the september tours at www.bit.ly/alpentouren - it doesn´t get any better than this.

We´ll be touring (no stationary camping this year) the region between Lac Leman and Nice from Sep.3rd to Sep.11th this year.

Regarding the usual weather in the first two weeks of September, I´ve picked some photos from the last years:

DSC_0457 by Jan Liska, on Flickr

DSC_0600 by Jan Liska, on Flickr

Alpentour 2014 - September by Jan Liska, on Flickr

DSC_6781 by Jan Liska, on Flickr

DSC_7134 by Jan Liska, on Flickr

BlueGerbil

Anyone use any sort of GPS system? I have a Garmin GPS with Europe maps but possibly looking to go the tablet route as a backup.

Used to run my trusty old Garmin GPSMAP 278, but have it replaced with an iPhone and iPad Mini, both running Motion-X GPS (HD) for the offroad navigation. Sat images are stored on the device, so no internet connection is necessary. Both are mounted with RAM Mount holders.

BlueGerbil

Bumping this again. Anyone still interested in going/helping plan?

As every September: we´ll be there :)

If you have any questions, pls. feel free to ask.

Camp sites I like:
www.bokki.it <- near Bardonecchia, a classic spot to wheel
www.camping5vallees.com <- near Briancon, on the french side, great medieval town, lots of wheeling spots as well

The "Denzel Alpenstraßenführer" is THE book to have if you speak any German. A new version (26th edition) will be released in April/May and will be available in our online shop www.nakatanenga.de

If you need any fridges etc. - feel free to contact me jl@nakatanenga.de - mention ExPo for a discount :)

BCobe

Adventurer
Thank you for the info! Ill have to track the camping locations on the map I am trying to plot. Wish I would have known about the ExPo discount before I purchased mine.
I am absolutely stoked for this trip but super nervous when it comes to the planning side of things, maybe those emotions are associated to the unknown.

I have looked through your flicker gallery a couple times but did not see the Feb '16 album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluegerbil/25118004020/in/album-72157665349856865/ - Were was this picture taken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94